Countries with the best stamp designs

Didn’t see such a topic here on the forum, hope I do not duplicate anything - do you generally consider some countries to have a quality stamps that stand out among others?

I’ll start!

For me French stamps are really cool, they often use this old fashioned engraving style and I really appreciate it.

Chinese (PRC) never disappoints. They use a lot of their traditional paintings as motifs for their stamps, often interesting shapes (like a traditional fan).

Japanese - variety of topics, often minimalistic, cute or just very esthetic. Little pieces of art

Jersey Island - surprisingly this small territory contributes a lot in stamp design IMO. They often use wonderful photography

Czechia - they have a certain style which they use for most of their stamps, making all designs very coherent. Many of their stamps are either artistic or cute

USA - a great variety of themes, often very creative. I only regret they’re mostly stickers

14 Likes

I really love the Japanese and Russian stamps. In addition to the illustration and designs, I love the variety of shapes they come in. It’s so fun.

I did notice Canada does have at least one cute shaped sheet.

I have also received some lovely mini sheets from India and Russia. Those are really interesting to receive. I’m sure other countries have them but those are the only ones I have received.

9 Likes

I like Taiwanese stamps.

Japan, Chinese, French too.

I would be remiss if I don’t mention my own stamps, so a vote to the Singaporean stamps! :smile:

6 Likes

Oh yes, Indian mini sheets are great! (and I love Russian ones too :wink: )

5 Likes

I love British stamps among the others, especially with classic rock musicians :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some of my favorite countries for stamps:

-UK, great variety of topics, beautiful designs that really tell you someting about British culture
-Belgium, also so much about culture, food, and often very unique sheets or shapes
-Russia, beautiful illustrations, showing a lot of variety
-P.R. China, they just have something unique about them, a certain way of drawing, very beautiful
-USA, even though sometimes the design is simple, you instantly know what it is about or what it tries to tell

That is just some of them, I also like Czechia, France and Turkiye but didn’t have anything to say apart from they have beautiful stamps :rofl:

9 Likes

Stamps from India. They are big-bold- and in your face!! Excellent stamps and even better postmarks!

8 Likes

I :heart: Australian :australia: stamps. They, so often, feature their unique Flora and Fauna, which is my favourite kind of stamps! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I also really like Russian :ru: stamps very often, even though they are often illustrations and I MUCH prefer photos (except Blue Cats and Lou Paper! :wink:!).

I also find Czech :czech_republic: and French :fr: stamps very often absolutely lovely.

That said every country has absolute highlights! :star_struck:

6 Likes

I like most stamps I come across but I especially liked some I got from Moldova

2 Likes

Like you, I think France has some impressive designs. Austria is another country. Sad to say, I find many US stamps uninspiring. The clowns over there love stamps featuring cartoon characters, race cars, dinosaurs, etc.

5 Likes

I agree with you @cliffside, they are fun when mailing to people with children or special collections, but overall I’m usually disappointed with my stamp options. I much prefer the lovely stamps I see incoming!

2 Likes

I love the Russian stamps.

4 Likes

Not to be biased, but Portuguese stamps are also beautiful and of quite good quality. in terms of production and design, my favorites are from Australia and Singapore.

4 Likes

Not that we ever see them in our mailboxes, but Colombia has some awesome stamps.

8 Likes

Cheers for the shout-out! :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

I think Japan and Finland are some of my favorites. I love the illustration and more imaginative/fantastic designs.

1 Like

I am from Japan myself and love the old and older Japanese stamps that are not adhesive / stickers. At stamp shows in Japan, we can buy many of those old mint stamps for the same cost.

Personally, I love Asian stamps like from India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Malaysia, Laos, Thailand, China, Vietnam, etc.

As for Europe, I was amazed with the stamps from Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Turkey has awesome stamps too.

2 Likes

Certainly Singapore.

1 Like

I really love Japanese and Taiwanese stamps, but I think New Zealand does the best Lunar New Year designs in recent years, and I’m very grateful that here in Australia we get both a huge amount of designs and always the option of both self-adhesive and gummed, and we are lucky enough to get designs featuring our overseas territories (Norfolk Island, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Australian Antarctic Territory), which are often stylistically different to regular Australian stamps and can still be used in Australia. I think AusPost is about due for some more cat-themed stamps, though! :wink:

2 Likes

My favorite is PORTUGAL :blush:

1 Like