Compendium about postcard wishes

Hi wonderful Postcrossers!
I’m just wondering, what are the most popular/ favourite themes of postcards that people like to receive?

Animals (especially cats)
Viewcards of your own area
Royalty
The Royal Mail cards are often popular
Harry Potter
Food, coffee, drinks

1 Like

Great question- being exposed to some very colourful themes, my taste now leans towards:

Anton Pieck…first seen here, now my absolute favourite
Florals
Christmas theme, any time of the year
Recipe cards
Bees
Store fronts
Vintage Fashion

You might want to take a look here, and I think there are a few other threads that go into it as well.

1 Like

Ooh! Thank you! I was looking for something like this!

I have sent a few dogs and cats that were very popular! A Koala was popular too!
Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh! Nice! I had to Google Anton Pieck- they are amazing! Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hope I picked the right category :crossed_fingers:

I am trying to built a suitable collection of postcards that I enjoy & that I think others would enjoy receiving. Every day on the forum, I learn a little bit more but this is kind of overwhelming for me, currently.

I recently learned that there are “types” of postcards, “series” of postcards, “brands” of postcards, etc. that many people like to receive or collect.

Anybody willing to share well-known types, series, brands or others that are generally well received?

12 Likes

Welll first what you are experiencing i believe without a doubt we all have struggled with. A nice assortment for me began with florals and then tea and coffee, i then added Halloween 2-3 , Christmas, i anticipate this will be a heavy mailing so i did 5-6 assorted ones, food ones are always a good one especially if it means something to you and your country. Ex. Butter tarts for :canada: I did purchase two assorted box cards for those fussy, challenging peeps, artsy one and pooh bear( you can never go wrong with any pooh, ( who doesn’t love pooh) ….transport theme such as bike, car, train , airplane…nature, animals. Hopefully that helps and i just covered what i have already done. Welcome to this pretty incredible journey…… you matter… ( and a friendly reminder, find cards that you like most…that will reflect you…you will be enabled though, so many lovely cards out there, especially from our europeans…love them…wink)

14 Likes

Thank you @mdmsamm so much for your thorough response & for the welcome :exclamation:

Great tips :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Me too a newbie here and it is confusing and also postcards are hard to find. I just stick with cool ones from where I live until I figure it all out. But for starters, on the home page of “the forum” Look down toward the bottom for the category Post Cards and Mail. Then open the first link Dictionary or something like that. In there is a list of all the acronyms used. I was getting dizzy trying to figure out what the heck people were asking for. GF CCUN FOTW…there are more acronyms here than my government office😂!

17 Likes

@mdmsamm I found assorted Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine’s day, and I had 25 cards made from the winning WPD contest.

2 Likes

There’s a pretty good list here of the series cards plus other useful terminology.

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/trades-requests-and-offers-definitions-wiki/349044

Series cards are for example, MOTW - Maps of the World, FOTW - Flags of the World and there are many other series - see the list above.

And then there cards by particular artists that people collect like Blue Cats by Belarus artist Rina Zeniuk or Inge Löök cards from Finland and again there are many others.

Don’t expect to figure this out all at once - it will take months, but keep asking questions & keep reading. People are always ready to help.

And you don’t have to have all these kinds of cards, it’s up to you to choose what cards you want to offer for swaps or for your official Postcrossing cards.

I don’t do series cards at all & I don’t have many problems doing swaps as one example. I choose mostly to send view cards of Canada & that suits me fine. There are many, many choices you can make as to how you participate in Postcrossing & what cards you’d like to offer or receive.

And remember, people’s requests on their officials are just requests, you can try to fulfill them or not - either way is fine as long as you send a card you choose. Have fun!

14 Likes

My advice is to not stock too many of the popular series postcards because they are trends. And what series are popular changes over time. I still have a few of this style. They used to be super popular but nobody wants them nowadays :smile:

59861dbb88bfa8ebf6919cc42777a292--food-posters-kitchen-posters

24 Likes

I started out sending local tourist cards, then bought a set of assorted postcards from Amazon. I’ve gradually added a few box sets that I like and others seem to enjoy as well. I’ve also bought some cards from Etsy. Add to your collection gradually, but remember that people’s wishlists are just requests and don’t feel pressured to send the “perfect” card.

8 Likes

I love it after all! What’s the name of this type? “Vegetable cards”? :rofl:

4 Likes

Hi, and welcome to Postcrossing.

There is a thread somewhere on ‘things i wish I knew at the beginning.’ I think it was there that we had something of a similar discussion.
As others have said, I wouldn’t get too hung up on the fashionable series unless you really like them. Even if you buy them, the chances of you having the very one that a collector is missing are small. If I had my time again I would have stocked up on three types of cards at the start:
An image of where you live -it doesn’t have to be hyperlocal, just something that reflects the country/state /place where you live (a viewcard)
An image of something typical of your country that isn’t a viewcard - perhaps an animal, flower, recipe or cutural event
An image of something that really interests you.

All of them should be images you like and can write about.

With these three I think I could have sent something appropriate to the majority of Postcrossers, and for the remainder it wouldn’t have been any more helpful to have a ‘collectable’ series.

I wish you great fun building your stash, whatever you decide to buy!

14 Likes

They are called Nouvelle images or something like that. They are usually about food but I have seen also some other themes.

3 Likes

Nouvelles Images Atelier is the name of this serie. It’s from France. I feld in love to those cards about ten years ago and my collection is hundreds of those now. They are very hard to find nowadays. There are also other multiples cards that are easier to get.

There are so many different tastes in the world that you (as a newbie) can buy and send just the cards you like by yourself.

3 Likes

When i started i also was complete unaware about all the series and options. I decided quite quickly i would mainly buy cards i like myself and not to indulge to much in others wishes. Meanwhile i have a small collection of cards, and alltough i don’t have many series and sets, they are appreciated. I take time reading the profile and sometimes i use decorations on the back if I’m not convinced about my choice.
I like the tips about your local area cards. My town has several tourist/view cards and even a 3d card so I’m spoiled in that matter.
I wish you luck and happiness finding your own style and remember to enjoy sending cards and not to worry too much.
Best wishes

6 Likes