Compendium about postcard wishes

Looooove Pooh bear. Yes. Can’t go wrong with Pooh.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about writing the address in English. I don’t have a printer and, like you, I’m not well enough to write out the Chinese address myself. But my postcards to China are arriving and being registered.

1 Like

Oh k good deal. I had write all my addresses. My handing writing can get bad at times with me having young arthritis.

1 Like

I have found that a lot of people really like the LouPaper state cards. I bought a nice amount of them depicting my home state of Texas and they are beautiful and have been very well received!

I enjoy sending them because I’m proud to be from Texas and to share our state symbols with people all over the world. I’m still waiting to receive one, but until then I really do enjoy receiving cards from other US postcrossers depicting their state. Multi view cards or a picture of a state monument/popular attraction.

2 Likes

People often ask for tourist-style cards of my city. The problem is that nowadays there is almost no variety available locally. Almost every view postcard I can find depicts the Inner Harbour. Admittedly it’s pretty, but it’s not our only landmark! It’s odd, because recently I found a vintage postcard site with older cards that do feature a broad range of my city’s landmarks. How I wish we had the variety now that existed back then!

Anyway, I’ve started printing my own cards through Zazzle so that I have a bigger range available for sending that is still affordable. And I often pick up postcards at local thrift shops and charity shops (I found this at a charity shop for $5), so that helps. Of course, aligning these random cards with people’s wishlists is not always easy, but I do my best!

4 Likes

I always have a collection of Greetings from cards, different kind of animal cards, nature cards (i buy packages online with like typical dutch animals and views in fall theme for example) If one of these things are not on the wishlist i sometimes create a postcard myself online on the site of our local post company. I really try hard to please someone with something from their preferences. But if i can’t find something it is gonna have to be a geeetings from. Or if they have a discription of their day to day activities of job or hobbys i try to find something i imagine they would like. You can only do your best. Honestly i like maybe 20 % of the cards i receive, but i keep in mind they do their best, or maybe couldnt find a better match. It is the effort that counts

What are Blue Cards? I see a lot of people requesting these and I have no idea what they are referring to. I’d like to get some to send to the blue card lovers out there.

I think you might be thinking about the Blue Cats by the illustrator Rina Zeniuk. They’re VERY popular. You can Google it to see where you can buy some in the USA. I know they’re available on Etsy.

3 Likes

Thank you. Much appreciated. Those ARE cute. I can see why they are popular.

What are the types, genres or themes of postcards?? The abbreviations and acronyms. Can you discuss it here ? It would help me a lot. Thank you :blush:

Please look to this topic Postal-related dictionary and abbreviations (wiki)

1 Like

What are Loupaper, Gotochi ? Are they specific topics in a country?

I see many people asking for some view of my area.
Strangely, when i checked the postcards from my native hometown, the last postcard was published in 1983. And honestly the style looks like it. It’s even yellowed somewhat.
Therefore, i decided to print my own ones.

Hii!

So that’t my question. Which postcards do you think people generally like? Apart from tourist postcards. Which themes do you think people are most interested in?

For example, I’ve seen that Disney and Harry Potter postcards are quite popular.

I’d like to buy popular cards c:

Thank you in advance!

I usually go by what people approach me to ask for in Swaps - so far my state card with the big icon letters, and Lou Paper cards have been my “most asked for”. Different countries also have different amazing cards, like the PaperSisters in Germany, Inge Look’s fun-loving Aunties in Finland, or the Tabineko Cats in Japan as a few examples.

2 Likes

This has been covered before. Maps and Lighthouses are very popular. Non-Viewcards like Birds, Trains, Royalty, etc also generate interest. I would stay away completely from Zazzle cards & similar.

4 Likes

This topic will be merged most likely with a previous similar one, but I still think the same: viewcards and animals.

Most popular collections are LouPaper, Blue cats and TS.

I don’t agree with Ron @cliffside about print on demand, I haven’t tried Zazzle, but I regularly order at Redbubble. The quality is good, you can support the artist by buying their designs, and there are many interesting unique options. But it’s because I personally prefer something different than a standard touristic viewcard.

Edit: about print on demand, also for example, I like food postcards. But there are almost zero irish food postcards. I found one “real postcard”, ordered it in a batch of other topics from that company. The quality of printing is so bad and it looks so unappealing that I’m thinking of sending it in a trash tag. And printing on demand something nice. However, if a person doesn’t like such cards, I will choose another card to send.

6 Likes

Here’s a forum post about this topic.

Edit: here is a similar topic with good suggestions on another post.

3 Likes

TLDR - a lot of people have very specific requests, but I’ve had the best response overall on the sets that cover a wide variety of topics instead of anything too specific…

I read a lot of requests about flags of the world, the old ladies, and the blue cats. I don’t know they’re names. They are cool series for sure.
I will say a lot of the people into collecting specific series seem to know which ones they are missing and seem hard to please IMO. They may ask you to look at their albums to avoid duplicates or say which ones they still need… It’s very collector, and I don’t understand collectors. We are all on this site because we love postcards, and have at least a basic understanding of the internet. For me, I feel like if it is so important to have each card of a set, why not just buy the set on the internet since it is so important?…

Excluding the collectors, I have found a lot of people enjoying animal cards… the variety ones are great bc many ppl like more than one animal. Pin up girls tend to be very enjoyed
I have some “have a little pun” cards that have different animals or inanimate objects with a pun and I’ve received good feedback!
So, an animal lover, or an avid chef, or someone just really into wordplay at all examples of someone I could find a card for in that set.
Regarding tourism - if you live somewhere very touristy like a big city, try to stock up on variety. I think lost ppl prefer their tourist cards single view, but I’ve seen a few of the opposite.

No matter what you buy, or what you send, the connection is brief and most people on here are really lovely. There will always be some profiles that are just demanding though. Just send something nice and keep it moving.

5 Likes

View cards with sights of your area, for they are special to your area.

2 Likes