Compendium about postcard wishes

I’m knee here also and sending out my first 5 today. I don’t want to disappoint anyone so I just kind of send out postcards with my state on them and cute butterflies. I’m trying to figure where to get really good postcards at. I see everyone decorating there cards and I some but I’m just kind of a simple kind of person tho.

3 Likes

Most members are fine with almost any postcard, unless otherwise stated in a profile.

3 Likes

Also one of the postcards I had to send out was in china. Sometimes my writing is horrible do to my arthritis and I’m not old :rofl: but it said write address in Chinese which I couldn’t so I wrote it in English. What if by chance are postcards get lost in the mail and never make it. How do you have that card let go so you can get another one.

1 Like

When your card expires at 60 days unregistered you will get a new opportunity (slot) to send one to someone else. If your card is registered after 60 days, you will get “credit” for it as a sent card, but not another slot (again).

Out of 250 cards this past year, I have had five or six that never made it; I suspect one or two of those were delivered, but the person misplaced them, shall we say. I sent replacements for three expired cards with all of those registered (including one where the original card arrived after that).

Be prepared for situations where the other person is very slow to register cards, or in one case I believe mine arrived just as they left for a month’s vacation.

1 Like

Oh k that’s good to know. Then it ask me about direct swap and I’m not sure what that is but reading you can get scammed!?! They’re so much to read and learn on here. :exploding_head::rofl:

Welcome from another newbie! I’ve only been postcrossing about a month. You can get a lot of great cards on Zazzle.com - and sometimes (though not right now) they have a 50% off sale. If you “buy free shipping” - I think it’s $9.99 a year you can get as many shipments a year you want for no shipping fees. (I always wait for the 50% off sale - depending on the designer, the cost may end up being around 70 cents each plus tax?)

Amazon also has a lot of postcards which I was surprised to see but someone else mentioned it in the forums yesterday so I looked.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I looked on Amazon before I signed up and was amazed at all the kinds they had. I went to my local truck stop and got a few postcards to start off with. :woman_facepalming:t4: there so much to learn that I’m like omg my card my not be right now that sent off and what is direct swap and then I here you can get scam on that. My mind blown now lol

Well, we all have our preferences - but from what you said, I think that maybe you do not know how Zazzle actually works. Or possibly you have a beef with zazzle since you are suggesting places like gift shops that buy in bulk from big companies and saying they need the revenue more than zazzle designers)

Zazzle itself maybe a big company but the products are designed by independent artists.

Zazzle has designers all over the world - people who do art work or take photos - and these are individuals who also need the revenue. We do our artwork or take our photos at our locality or places we visit and we also need the revenue. We are more a small business than gift shops who buy in bulk from big store.

BTW, you could have just suggested gift shops if you wanted to - you didn’t have to dis on Zazzle).

1 Like

My credit cards often run a 10% rebate offer on Zazzle purchases as well.

3 Likes

very true! Mine also do that.

1 Like

Looooove Pooh bear. Yes. Can’t go wrong with Pooh.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about writing the address in English. I don’t have a printer and, like you, I’m not well enough to write out the Chinese address myself. But my postcards to China are arriving and being registered.

1 Like

Oh k good deal. I had write all my addresses. My handing writing can get bad at times with me having young arthritis.

1 Like

I have found that a lot of people really like the LouPaper state cards. I bought a nice amount of them depicting my home state of Texas and they are beautiful and have been very well received!

I enjoy sending them because I’m proud to be from Texas and to share our state symbols with people all over the world. I’m still waiting to receive one, but until then I really do enjoy receiving cards from other US postcrossers depicting their state. Multi view cards or a picture of a state monument/popular attraction.

2 Likes

People often ask for tourist-style cards of my city. The problem is that nowadays there is almost no variety available locally. Almost every view postcard I can find depicts the Inner Harbour. Admittedly it’s pretty, but it’s not our only landmark! It’s odd, because recently I found a vintage postcard site with older cards that do feature a broad range of my city’s landmarks. How I wish we had the variety now that existed back then!

Anyway, I’ve started printing my own cards through Zazzle so that I have a bigger range available for sending that is still affordable. And I often pick up postcards at local thrift shops and charity shops (I found this at a charity shop for $5), so that helps. Of course, aligning these random cards with people’s wishlists is not always easy, but I do my best!

4 Likes

I always have a collection of Greetings from cards, different kind of animal cards, nature cards (i buy packages online with like typical dutch animals and views in fall theme for example) If one of these things are not on the wishlist i sometimes create a postcard myself online on the site of our local post company. I really try hard to please someone with something from their preferences. But if i can’t find something it is gonna have to be a geeetings from. Or if they have a discription of their day to day activities of job or hobbys i try to find something i imagine they would like. You can only do your best. Honestly i like maybe 20 % of the cards i receive, but i keep in mind they do their best, or maybe couldnt find a better match. It is the effort that counts

What are Blue Cards? I see a lot of people requesting these and I have no idea what they are referring to. I’d like to get some to send to the blue card lovers out there.

I think you might be thinking about the Blue Cats by the illustrator Rina Zeniuk. They’re VERY popular. You can Google it to see where you can buy some in the USA. I know they’re available on Etsy.

3 Likes

Thank you. Much appreciated. Those ARE cute. I can see why they are popular.

What are the types, genres or themes of postcards?? The abbreviations and acronyms. Can you discuss it here ? It would help me a lot. Thank you :blush: