Class Project Postcard Exchange - Germany

Hei everyone,
I’m currently doing a long-term internship in a school in Northern Germany and would like to prepare some special things for my students - like a postcard exchange!
They are currently in 9th grade and have lately started learning about jobs, what strengths you need for them, how to apply for an internship/a job etc. Some of them already have an idea about what they want to do after school while others are still undecided.
I thought it would be great to hear from people around the world about their jobs and why they chose them or what you have to be good at in order to succeed in the field. Would you be interested in sending us a card? You will also be receiving one back!
Happy Postcrossing!
Hanna

8 Likes

Good afternoon! I have been working as a kindergarten teacher for 15 years. I will be happy to send a postcard from Russia, if you are satisfied with it.

2 Likes

I will be happy to send a card and tell about my job in the library of a university. Your project is a fantastic idea.

3 Likes

Hello. I am an architect in Indonesia and I would love to send the postcards for your students :blush:

2 Likes

Hi, I would like to participate!

PM sent.

I’m kind of fresh out of apprenticeship and now I’m working in the IT at the local city hall.
I would also like to write a card to your students! A MINT-profession is still something unusual for a women even today.
Would you like the card in English or also in German?

1 Like

PM sent. I am a college professor and would like to tell your students about the need to be flexible, to adapt in a rapidly changing world, and to find ways to transfer skills from one career to another, when needed.
Most of them will change careers several times during their lives as jobs become redundant. We no longer have telephone operators or typing pools, but skills from those jobs were transferred to other roles. And what to do if you’re a mechanic, and the automobile shifts from basic mechanical structure/function to electronic? Or nurses now use machines to manage medication versus human distribution and paperwork.
One must stay current with continuous learning in one’s field. Otherwise, the times push you out of work.

2 Likes

I’d love to tell you students about my job and the course of my career! I have turned my hobby into my job, and while it isn’t for everyone, I absolutely love it.

Thanks for the opportunity!

3 Likes

I’d love to tell them more about my job(s) :slight_smile: I’m from Northern Germany as well :smiley: I‘m a trained legal secretary, worked as a courier driver, which was an amazing job and I could visit quite a few European countries and now I’m will start working in an office :slight_smile:

1 Like

I volunteer at my Church (grades 9th to 12th) and is disheartening to receive complete and utter silence to the question, what are your plans after high school. So your thoughts are spot on. Do you mind if i read them out loud, to the students, when i next meet with them?

2 Likes

PM sent :blush:

Certainly @RaffeFiliponi.
The Conference Board of Canada identifies skill sets that Canadian employers seek in a useful pamphlet entitled Employability Skills. Helpful to share with students. Perhaps you have something similar in the US?
https://www.conferenceboard.ca/product/employability-skills-2/

1 Like

I test software for health IT. I fell into my role, but would be happy to tell your students about it!

@HookedonPostcards, thank you for the info! Im sure i can find something similar. Saddly, school counselors have become data processors thanks on the emphasizes on standarized testing. Since the moment children are born they become data. What good is the data if is not used, but only collected for ‘further studiess’ analysis? Work with the data to target personalized obstacles students will have with academia, social and behavioral learning. I dislike the waste that standarized testing creates.
I attended Catholic private school and worked in public schools (elementary and middle levels) and wouldn’t be wonderful to create a hybrid school setting that merges both- in styles of teaching, class sizes, less standarized testing with a focused of student success and accountability in the people that picks school books and curriculum, with full funding? Magnet and Charter schools are not quite the solution.
Thanks again Helen❣️

1 Like

I am glad to send your class a card or letter. I am a retired international insurance lawyer. Please send me the address by PM. Regards, JamesC 9New York, New York, USA).

Thanks everybody for taking part in this class project! I sent you all a PM (if you have not received one, please let me know!).
If anyone else would like to join in, please let me know - I have a few more students left :smiley:

2 Likes

OK. For your class, I am mailing you an envelope today from NYC with a short letter, a few cards and a few funny cartoons – all age-appropriate for your class. Regards, JamesC

1 Like

Hello
I would be interested in sending a postcard if you still are looking for people? I work as an animal keeper at an animal care college, for students aged 16-18 studying animal care. I have also worked as a zoo keeper and as a field researcher/ecologist.
Emily

1 Like

I would love to write to your students…I’m a retired teacher with 2 new careers of sorts , thanks to the pandemic. I do Personal Fitness training and I work in retail at a historic train station. both very rewarding !