Cinderella Stamps, Faux Stamps and Artistamps

Hi!

I’m no philatelist at all, although I enjoy looking at the stamps, their shapes, colours and materials, and I like searching for the subjects they represent whenever they are conmemorative.

I’ve got a question about stamps like these:

As you can see, the link is to Correos oficial store, where they are currently available even though they were issued in 2019. They belong to A fare, which is for national postage… Actually 0’7€… I ignore how much was it in 2019.
These stamps were designed with TUSELLO, which is a service Correos offers so people can design their own plenty useful stamps. People create a special stamp for the invitations of their wedding, for example and they actually pay the postage correctly. As far as I know, the ones I linked are the only TUSELLO stamps available at Corres store, for whenever you order this service, you order an amount of sheets that they send directly to you.

To sum up: they are legal useful stamps printed and validated by Correos, although I ignore if those people order can be considered as “issued” by Correos (those linked for sale I would say yes)
The thing is that I’ve searched for them at the web @karlos221 recommended before and they are not in it. So, are they Cinderella stamps? Are those I can order Cinderella stamps?

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, the stamps you are talking about were valid stamps you could legally use for sending mail in 2019?

See what @karlos221 wrote as a short definition about cinderella stamps:

So I think those stamps you mentioned are just postal stamps. If you can still use them for sending mail is something you have to find out. Old stamps aren’t cinderellas, they are just old stamps - whether they are being sold or traded or whatever.
So I think the stamps you are writing about aren’t cinderellas.

1 Like

Hello, I have the same opinion and I would like to recommend the app that I am using sometimes. It is called “stamp identifier”. It can help you to get to know something about almost any stamp :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks.

Yes, Spanish stamps A, B and C are a kind of “forever” stamps… I mean, A is for national, B for Europe, C for almost the rest. And it doesn’t matter when you buy them, you can keep using them for those areas.

Thanks to @karlos221 too. I’ll look that app.

I’d definitely agree that the aforementioned stamps aren’t Cinderellas, as they are perfectly valid as postage and are produced, as are all TUSELLO stamps, by the “National Currency and Stamp Factory” who, I assume, also prints all the stamps designed and issued by Correos itself. Probably what’s confusing when talking about Cinderellas nowadays is that the term was coined probably decades ago, at a time when people weren’t yet able to design their own stamps and actually use them as valid postage, which of course they can now do. So even though such stamps are neither designed nor “officially” issued by Correos, they are still perfectly valid postage, and not Cinderellas.

1 Like

Yes, they do.

Not sure this one even counts as a Cinderella, it’s just a crappy stamp-ish style sticker, sent to me instead of postage on an unwanted letter from a religious group that proselytizes through the mail now (since they can’t go door-to-door in the pandemic).

I’m actually rather angry about this. The USPS has troubles enough without people stealing their stamp revenue, and it reflects very badly on this religion to be such petty thieves.

I recently came across The Portland Stamp Company which makes artists’ work into stamp form. You can apparently make your own, too, and have them print them up.

4 Likes

I only use them on the left side of the postcard.
For decoration.

5 Likes

Not sure if there are any Terry Prachett fans here, but you can order ‘stamps’ from the Discworld from their UK shop. If you purchase anything g from their store, there packaging usually has a couple of their Cinderella stamps on too.

12 Likes

There are Pratchett fans around… But ordering has become complicated with the Brexit. Though: We did a last minute pre-Brexit order :wink:
Their real shop in Wincanton was a lovely place to go to, but it’s closed now :disappointed_relieved:
They gave us a few older used artistamps when we visited.

3 Likes

I’m a bit late but thanks for the link as I have always wondered about the term!

From a linguistic perspective, was curious about the term. In general, I associate Cinderella with being true, strong while being kind (or better say that’s her strength) and honest. It puzzled me why fake (!) stamps were named after her. Now I realize that it never was about being fake but being inferior. Really interesting.

3 Likes

The Discworld stamps are really great (and the novels too of course [Going Postal])! Especially because there is now a huge range and new ones are appearing all the time, which are always very lovingly designed. On a visit to the shop in Wincanton, @reisegern and I sent ourselves a letter from the ankh-morporkian embassy.
If anyone would like to exchange a letter with Discworld stamps (or other Cinderella stamps), please feel free to contact me. Ugh!

7 Likes

That is so awesome! I wish I’d had chance to visit the shop. I don’t have any loose stamps just those sent on my jigsaw packages. I’m completely addicted to their jigsaws! Really great quality and the pictures are so detailed every piece is quite easy to distinguish. I might order some extra stamps when I can next justify a jigsaw purchase…

2 Likes

A new sheet fresh from the perforating machine.

8 Likes

I’ve been following this thread for sometime. Interested in some of these stamps and their stories,
I’ve never seen Cinderella’s before until realising I have a sheet of Cinderella’s buried in a storage box with ‘First Day Covers’ that need to be sorted.

Back in 2008, I visited the Bluebell Heritage Museum Railway in Sussex, southern England, on the train the guard/conductor came round selling FDC’s & stamps of the railway known as ‘Bluebell Railway Letter Stamps’

This the 2008 issue for when Southern Railway West Country Express locomotive ‘Blackmoor Vale’ was returned to steam.

There where quite a few in the series issued between 2002 & 2013 usually when a steam locomotive was restored and returned to steam, or when a milepost in the railways history was reached.
On subsequent visits I have been told the Volunteer at the railway that produced the covers is sadly no longer present. However private FDC producers such Buckingham Covers still produce railway themed covers for the railway.

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/letter-service.html

https://www.buckinghamcovers.com/search/bluebell/index.php?topsearch=Bluebell

5 Likes

Here’s a plate of Cinderellas issued to promote the 1956 release of a record by Thelonious Monk. Apparently people thought the stamps were legitimate and some were sent through the mail, complete with postal cancellations. The F.B.I. found out about the issue and told the record company to stop distributing the stamps, or face legal action. As a result, the record company destroyed the remaining stamps, thus apparently making the surviving stamps valuable. (This block of eight was being offered for $6,500.00)

9 Likes

I looove these :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I absolutely love Mr. Zip! I have quite a few of these. I never intended to collect these, but there goes my little collection growing on accident! :laughing: Are these, though, technically considered gutter stamps?

12 Likes

Here’s a set of Cinderellas that were included with a vinyl record called Tropics and Meridians released by the band June of 44 in 1996.

8 Likes