Chinese stamp for Year of Tiger

Hello to all and more specifically to Chinese postcrossers!

I heard this morning on the radio that a stamp for the year of the tiger was unveiled in China recently, but that it is controversial because some people find the tiger too sad. I wanted to know, out of curiosity, what you think about it.
Here is an image:

I wish you a very good day and a happy new year (it’s never too late to wish it)!

Happy Postcrossing!

12 Likes

Too sad? It’s new for me. I can’t judge because I like Chinese style of painting :joy:. The aesthetic really show East Asian style of painting and I love it.

But I think if people think it looks sad that’s fine too, maybe they also realize the sad reality / hidden message on the stamp that Panthera tigris is in sad conditions. Hunted illegally, live in captivity, kept as exotic pet in some places~ so it does tell a story imo

I live in Indonesia and the reality about this majestic creature is so sad, people and industries open new field for palm oil etc. Nature and population clashes, (a lot of story in rural area of Indonesia farmers get attacked by tiger, or tiger caught dead because of trap farmers set).

I wish my country or other countries could raise this as awareness and send messages in form of stamps and postcards design this tiger year, sadly I haven’t seen one. Most of the Tiger year design just show pictures of tiger as Chinese zodiac

Happy postcrossing Leopold

10 Likes

I like the style of this stamp very much! I don’t think it looks sad, in fact, I think these tigers are filled with a kind of loving feeling. I think maybe the people who judge them as sad have the stereotype that tigers have to be majestic. But to be honest, I haven’t seen those comments yet.:thinking:

4 Likes

Honestly, I think the stamps are great! But as with every other piece of art, there are those who like it, and those who don’t. You just can’t satisfy everyone. :sweat_smile:

It probably became more controversial since this stamp is more ‘representative’ as it is a Zodiac stamp and Chinese New Year is something that the Chinese hold with high regard. The more ‘important’ something is, the more likely it is to be subject to criticism too, since it is now open to more of the public eye too.

I mean, if anything, you can also say the tigers on the Singapore stamps look like frightened kitties. It is all a matter of perspective and we see what we want to see. (Don’t get me wrong - I love our Year of the Tiger stamps too.)

There will always be opinions I guess, but if we don’t like them, we just don’t have to comment further either.

7 Likes

It is understandable when taking two contexts into account. First, the young generations are not satisfied with almost all China Post’s issues in recent years from an aesthetic perspective. They’re considered old fashioned and not delicate. Second, it’s rather easy to spot images of tiger with either smiling or serious but handsome faces in public space and on TV during this period. Inevitably, this design will be considered too sad.

1 Like

Tiger stamps from Taiwan.

5 Likes

Slovak Tiger stamps

4 Likes

It amazingly combines tiger and winter olympics :flushed:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for all the different answers, and actually, it’s interesting to see the different “design” for the year of the Tiger!
In France, it looks like this (the tiger is a bit sad too :))

Previously, it looked like this

You can see how much the price increased between 2010 and 2022 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Yea,Also you can find out another version of Chinese YoT 2022.It is a different style.I like this version much.

5 Likes

Dutch Year of the Tiger stamps:

A very slick design.

@anon12415063 Love the ‘frightened kitties’! :grin:

5 Likes

Aussie Year of the Tiger stamps (in minisheet format). I love the Chinese stamps.

8 Likes

Let me show you a “Year of the Tiger” stamp from Belarus (will be issued on 18 Jan-2022)

3 Likes

It seems to me a design with more Japanese characteristics, especially that three 虎 (character for tiger) in a row are reminiscent of the 1970 American war film Tora! Tora! Tora! (虎!虎!虎!) about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941 :rofl: