Canada postage question

Hi All!

We moved to Canada in May and I’m starting to be finally able to ramp back up in terms of sending mail. Is it possible to get small denomination stamps (10c for example) so I can use a P stamp on a card to the USA for example and then add a 10 Cent stamp? There are so many nice within Canada stamps that I’d like to use for international/US mail but I can’t seem to get small denomination stamps at the local Shoppers Canada Post.

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Welcome to Canada! :canada: :ice_hockey:
Since Canada Post ‘farmed’ out post offices to little shops, it has become increasingly difficult to get small denomination postage or air mail stickers, among a few other things.
Two options:

1. Find out where your local Post Office - not the shop, but the REAL one - is located and pop by, get to know the employees, ask them to order what you need. Some are more helpful than others.
  2. Order online. Here’s the link to the Canada Post shop.

I do both.
Online orders are super fast; no charge for shipping … after all, it comes by mail via Canada Post. :wink:

Good Luck!
Helen

1 Like

Hello! Welcome to Canada!

Stamps are 0,92$ within Canada and 1,30$ going to USA. There is no 0,38$ stamps to cover the difference. But we have small denominations. You can buy on line or at your post office.

Scroll down this list, small denominations are at the end

Hope it helps!

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/shop-magasin/en/stamps-timbres/canada.jsf

France

4 Likes

That’s what I was looking for too ! Thank you !

2 Likes

Just to be clear, you need to add 38 cents, not 10 cents to a P stamps (92 cents) for the US($1.30).

You could add a bunch of small denomination stamps, but you’d have to add at least 3 more stamps - it’s much easier just to buy a bunch of US stamps then you have more room to write.

1 Like

Interesting - the lady at shoppers who sold the stamps told me the P stamps were worth 1.20 but sold in the booklet at a discount of 92 c. I thought that was a surprisingly big discount lol.

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 Like

I keep a nice stash of the Maud Lewis OX xmas 2020 stamp; seems to be popular amongst American recipients. Easy to order online.

5 Likes

Maybe the lady meant the price with taxes? You do pay more than 0,92$. But it’s not written on the stamps

Yes you can do that. In fact that’s what I do because my local post office doesn’t carry many varieties of stamps. So I bought most of my stamps online from Canada Post and use different ones adding up to the value of US or international stamps.

Did you know? The P stamp for within Canada is valued at 1.07 but is sold at 0.92 if you buy a package. So you really only need to add 0.23 stamp to mail to US! I use two P stamps plus 0.57 to mail to international. Bonus if you purchase the old P stamp sold at 0.90! That’s what I’ve doing and my cards get delivered no problem :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t believe this is true, and here’s why. Yesterday I had a long chat with a clerk at my city’s main Post Office yesterday. (I was complaining about the lack of commemorative international stamps, ha ha!)

She suggested that I just use 3 “P” (permanent / domestic) stamps. When I asked how much overage that would involve, she said I would only be paying a nickel more that way. An international stamp currently has a value of $2.71. A permanent stamp is $0.92. So, $0.92 x three = $2.76. It costs merely 5 cents more to use three “P” stamps, and that way you can get a lot more variety, since they’re continually coming out with new designs for domestic use.

Anyway, I mention this because I am sure the principle would be the same with postage going to the USA. You’d need to top up a “P” stamp ($0.92) by 38 cents’ worth of stamps to get to the target value of $1.30 for a postcard to the United States.

6 Likes

It’s often worth the effort to pop by different post offices to ask what they have in stock. Recently, I bought out a whole bunch of very lovely stamps, including some internationals that were $2.50. This makes for some colourful and fun creative combinations with the lesser values; I get a lot of positive feedback about the insect series.

3 Likes

Yes, this is correct - P stamps are worth .92, and I always use 3 of them to send internationally, or 1 plus an other .38 for the US because it’s more interesting than the very limited selection of international and USA rate stamps that are produced!

And @HookedonPostcards I agree! I find that the post offices in smaller communities near my city, or the ones at Shoppers Drug Mart almost always have a better selection than the main post office here! The clerks usually seem more knowledgeable about products and are more willing to help and show me different things too.

3 Likes

Postal staff vary. I find it helps to establish a relationship with a clerk so they know how much I value what they do. Something my stamp-collecting father modeled when I was a child. But, I don’t flirt with the clerks, like he did! :wink: :astonished:

5 Likes

I found this on the Canada Post website:

“$1.07 for a single stamp or $0.92/stamp in a booklet”

I take that to mean that the VALUE of a P stamp is actually 1.07, but the COST in bulk is discounted to 0.92, but if you are adding them up with other stamps you count the postage from one P stamp as 1.07. Thus, your out of pocket cost would be $2.76 if you use three P stamps assuming you bought in sheets/booklets but the actual value of the postage would be 3.21 because they don’t know if you bought an individual stamp or a sheet. Thus for the US postage you need to add 23 cents even if you only paid 92 cents for it as part of a sheet.

3 Likes

I can send you a sheet of 2cents, just msg me your addy :slight_smile:

I’ve asked at the post office. P stamps are worth 92 cents. They don’t give a good reason as to why the single stamps cost $1.07. It also costs 92 cents to send domestically when you use smaller value older stamps.
That being said, before I asked l, I had assumed it was the other way around and was valuing the P stamps at $1.07. I know a few postcards I used 2P stamps and some smaller value stamps, but would have shorted the postage for international . They still arrived. So there’s that :thinking:

2 Likes

The Canada Post website doesn’t really word it very well and it caused confusion back when they started the “single stamp rate” - that was a few years ago and they still haven’t made much of an effort to explain it better there. But I can assure you as a long-time mail sender, stamp collector, and woman with postal worker friends, P stamps are worth the regular rate of .92, they are not discounted. The 1.07 rate includes what is basically a surcharge for the “convenience” to the customer who doesn’t send much mail so they don’t have to buy more stamps than they need. The only stamps you will pay 1.07 for and that are actually worth 1.07 in postage are the ones that say 1.07 on them.

4 Likes

P stamps are worth the regular rate of .92, they are not discounted.

This is exactly right.

2 Likes

Another option for us Canadians is ordering off of https://www.discountpostage.ca/ – they sell stamps with a face value, not permanent. So you can order stamps that are 52c, 45c, etc all the way down to 10c. The stamps are authentic, unused, and are all kinds of designs. They do tend to be on the larger side so trying to cram 6 onto one postcard is a challenge for international/US.

So for example if I’m sending to the US, I’ll use a P stamp and then slap on a 45c or 50c stamp. It won’t be dead on, but it will be much closer to 1.30 than using up two P stamps. The minimum order is $80 which gets you $100 worth of postage. I got all kinds of cool designs and they also included a little envelope of smaller stamps (1c, 2c, 5c) free which was very kind of them! Happy to post some photos if anyone’s curious.

6 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion, vikitty!
Tell me, is it smooth sailing to use older stamps? I have an accumulation of old, odd-denomination stamps that I never got around to using. They’re all face-value stamps, no “P” stamps (they predate the “P” stamp!). I know they’re technically postal tender still, but I keep wondering if using them will slow things down because they might be unfamiliar to some posties…

1 Like