Canada Post stamp price increases on May 6th, 2024 ☹

Canada Post is increasing the price significantly for all stamps on May 6th, 2024

P or Permanent stamps (our main domestic stamps) are going from 92 cents to 99 cents.

US rate stamp will go from $1.30 to $1.40 & the int’l rate stamp will go from $2.71 to $2.92.

People should by current P or Permanent stamps if they can before May 6th at the 92 cent rate - they will still be valid & worth 99 cents after May 6th.

We currently can still buy the 22 cent, 9 cent, 8 cent, 7 cent, 6 cent, 4 cent & 3 cent insect series stamps to make up the difference if you still have current US & int’l stamps to use up - I’ve heard they’re not going to be around for much longer - not sure if this is true though.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this heads up, this is really good to know. Would you happen to know where I can look up which stamps are the permanent ones? Thanks!

2 Likes

Anything with a P in the corner of them is a P or Permanent stamp

These are the ones in their online shop currently:

1 Like

I never noticed the P before, but now I cannot unsee it. Lol. Thanks again.

1 Like

Using any current P stamps won’t change things much for you - for example, I always use 3 P stamps for int’l mail & so I can still use existing P stamps for that forever. That’s why they’re called Permanent stamps, they will always be valued at whatever the current postal rate is.

Where it gets trickier is if you have a bunch of US $1.30 stamps or Int’l $2.71 stamps to use up AFTER May 6th, then you need to buy some of the insect series stamps to make up the difference in the price given the increase.

1 Like

I have many of these ones but I don’t see the P on it. So this means I’ll have to add to it then? Maybe I will use these ones up first. :cry:

3 Likes

Yes, stamps with a monetary value on them, you’ll have to add postage to on May 6th & going forward

1 Like

This is good to know. I notice some people on their profiles say they don’t like bugs so it will be a bit awkward to add bug stamps to make up the cost. Thanks again, I’ll try to get some P stamps.

I’m not going worry about that too much - I will be using them for cards to the US mostly, lol

1 Like

@MapleMail @doryfera

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads up! I’ll stock up on the P stamps!

1 Like

Thanks, @Seracker – I hadn’t heard about it. Fortunately I purchased a lot of Permanent stamps recently :wink: I’ll see about using up my stock of US and International stamps sooner rather than later. At least the ratio of Permanent to International is staying consistent (3 P stamps = 5 cents more in value than an International stamp costs on its own).

1 Like

@delda

Thanks for the heads up, i was wondering when they would do this

1 Like

Time to send out all the covers / postcards before May!