Can your country issue stamps of living people?

YES! Here is Australia we have many stamps over the years with living people on them - obviously the queen & royal couples when there is a royal wedding as we are still a commonwealth nation, but we also slap olympians, sporting heros, authors, actors, singers, artists, philanthropists, indigenous elders (important that they are still living as many of our indigenous people believe it is bad omen to portray people who are passed away), prominent medical figures, etc.

Here is a link to the stamp set Australia Post released of our Aussie legends (with the vast majority being still alive when the stamps were released).

3 Likes

But, without speaking of the stamps dedicated to the queen / king, hasn’t the Royal maill issued stamps about famous music bands like Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones… whose members are still alive?

2 Likes

Yes, plenty of those sorts of stamps. Olympians, paralympians, musicians, movie stars.

1 Like

The short answer is YES. @jeffbh That policy has now been adjusted. An article from Linn’s Stamp News in April 2021 said this:

In more recent times, U.S. Postal Service authorities modified the interpretation to suggest that living people could be shown as long as they were not being honored. Then, the postmaster general announced a couple of years ago that in his view the statute does not apply to stamps at all, and the field was clear to put living people on U.S. stamps in any way the Postal Service sees fit."

There have been US stamp issues with 75 living people on them.

2 Likes

It’s a bit confusing, as this article appeared in the May 1, 2021 issue of Linn’s" My interpretation is that while yes, the U.S.P.S. has at times issued stamps which depicted living people, as of 2018, it is no longer doing so.

Revised criteria for honoring individuals on U.S. stamps in effect (linns.com)

2 Likes

Not in China

1 Like

In the Philippines we have stamps of living presidents, athletes, artists, and Miss Universe winners

4 Likes

I guess it varies by nation. Malta issued this Souvenir sheet of Elton John. I recently sold this cover from Ireland featuring the late Rory Gallagher

3 Likes

I think the Legends of Baseball stamps featured some players who were still alive. But the stamp image you posted (“Heroes USA”) is most unique in another respect. The USPS, as a general rule, does not issue stamps about disasters.

2 Likes

I used to think most Canadian stamps honoured public figures who had died (with the exception of the current monarch, of course). But we’ve had several stamps recently featuring people who are living. For example, I just bought this stamp set yesterday. Actor Donald Sutherland is most definitely alive!

4 Likes

Only people who have already died can appear on the Russian stamps

1 Like

1 Like

Pos Malaysia honoured Royal Family, sportsperson and recent National Arts Laureates issues. There is many living people honoured on stamps.

National Arts Laureates :

King and Queen :

Commonwealth Games Glorious Moments Miniature sheet (1998) :

3 Likes

@uconn @jeffbh I’m happy to report that that’s actually not the case. :slightly_smiling_face: Living people still cannot be honored on US stamps, as of today.

See this very recent article: “Why no living people appear on US postage stamps.”

And here are the pages from the book of the article’s author where he details how that idea advanced in 2011 did not pass.

1 Like

I guess they can’t “honor” someone living like a Senator or Oprah; but can put a living actor on there portraying a character like Harry Potter. Or they could at one time. LOL

2 Likes

The Harry Potter stamps or the 9/11 Heroes one are not about commemorating one or more specific people but the movie/cinema as an art form and as part of US culture, in the first case, and the American spirit and ideas of unity, courage, resilience, sacrifice, and so on, in the second case.

1 Like

Hello DarCal: Yes, I know. There’s an article about this issue from Linn’s Stamp News that I attached above in a Nov. 1 posting.

1 Like

Yep @jeffbh. I just wanted to clarify that it’s not that USPS commemorated or depicted living people in the past and it’s not doing it anymore, as you mentioned. As far as I know, USPS has never commemorated living people and has not changed that, as per point #4 of the current criteria:

The keyword here is commemoration, which the committee mentioned in the introductory paragraph. The first sentence of criterion #4 prevents specifically the commemoration of living individuals, not their depiction for the purposes of commemorating an art form (like living actors in movie frames), a cultural aspect, an event, etc.

The 2018 point in time mentioned afterwards has nothing to do with depicting living people, which USPS can still do within the framework of what I just mentioned. What changed in 2018 is the number of years that need to pass before a deceased person can be commemorated on a stamp, which went from 5 years (reduced from 10 years in 2007) to the 3 years mentioned now at point #4.

1 Like

I think @sandhurst was referring to the little silhouettes of Elizabeth and now Charles that are on every UK stamp :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

In Norway we have loads of living people on stamps. Royal family, sports people (usually in connection with the Olympics, I think), and musicians. Can’t remember ever sseeing an author, painter or actor, though. And no stamps of any prime ministers.

1 Like