Can we still sent cards/letters to Ukraine?

Hello, friends, I’m from Ukraine, Kyiv.
It’s scary here now, but not for Ukrainians!
We know that the truth is behind our people, we see the enemy and we are not afraid of him. I feel that all this will soon be over, but now our mail is NOT WORKING, so I strongly recommend not to send anything soon, otherwise it will be lost! Stay tuned, believe in the victory of Ukraine and soon we will again be able to please you with Ukrainian postcards, and you with yours! :white_heart::ukraine:

63 Likes

That’s so sweet! Thanks for your support, I think she will love it!

2 Likes

@EricWong2020

Have a look here: Can we still sent cards/letters to Ukraine?

Mail can’t be sent from Norway to Ukraine.

@SofiaOsinnia, you raise a question about the interruption of mail. I sent a card to Ukraine 6 days ago. No way it will have arrived yet, so I worry, as you write “it will be lost”. And may never arrive.
The question is for Admin @meiadeleite : is there a way to ‘reset’ the cards sent to Ukraine in the weeks before the invasion - once the dust settles? Such a reset could do a couple of things:

1. Ensure that cards that should have gone eventually get to their recipient. After all, happy mail surely is always appreciated.
  2. Ensure an extra outpouring of support once the dust settles.

I would be happy to resend Ukrainian cards that get lost.
As I write this, I cannot erase the images of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians fleeing for Europe, and elsewhere. For instance, Canada has opened a special immigration option for those who wish to come here.
And for those who return to Ukraine … when? What will have happened to their homes? How long would it take for infrastructure and services to be back in working order?
The question of reaching out to Ukrainians fleeing a war zone is a Postcrossing issue. Now and likely into the months ahead. How can we achieve this?
For now, mail is still traveling to and from Russia so the situation has not yet affected our ability to communicate with one another.
These last two years have been years of many postal interruptions due, principally, to the pandemic as well as typical interruptions due to natural disasters and instability in other places. Current events differ.
Maybe Ukrainian Postcrossers will be able to reset their addresses in places where they shelter for the time being?
Maybe there is no answer? I don’t know. Just wondering …

5 Likes

It would be really nice that our Ukrainian :ukraine: post crossers know that their names are being drawn, but will be mailed when the time is right. We can directly contact them when name is drawn. As horrifying as the situation is a sense of normalcy in postcrossing may help just a little to alleviate the horror, pain and suffering they are facing. :pray::pray:
:blue_heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart::yellow_heart:

13 Likes

I am wondering if the Russian attack on Ukraine will impact the way postcard recipients are assigned/released. I imagine mail delivery to these countries will be negatively impacted.

3 Likes

I think that it is unlikely that something will come now, because our international mail offices are not working. It’s too early to worry about Canada, postcards from there go for at least a month, and I hope that during this time there will be no trace of the war. We will monitor the situation!

2 Likes

you can write to Ukrainians and ask them to fill in the postcard number, so I do! and I think many understand your situation and will go to a meeting :white_heart:

3 Likes

Good idea! Thank you!
I will send an email to let the receiver know that a card is floating out there for them, and offer to resend it when it makes sense.

4 Likes

I clam all Ukrainian here that everyone who sent official cards from Ukraine can just pm me the ID.I will regist the CARD without receive it.

Hang in there, we stand with you! :ukraine:

3 Likes

I recieved a card from Ukraine in my mail today. It was mailed on Feb 5th and it’s a happy, hopeful card where nothing political is mentioned. I am unsure how to respond as I am now worried for this person’s safety, heartbroken for them and want to let them know that I don’t support this invasion in any way. But I don’t want to sound trite or insensitive. Any ideas on a good way to respond?

2 Likes

I’d say try to respond the way you would have if things weren’t as they are now. And maybe sign off with a ‘hope you and your family are safe’, without making too much of it. I imagine thinking about it in every aspect of your life can be a bit much, and a nice message about something else would be appreciated.

7 Likes

I also got a card from Ukraine today, from Kyif. I started my registration with “Peace on you!”, I do not know, if that was the best way, but I felt, I had to do it that way!

6 Likes

me too :slightly_frowning_face: i just registered a card from a lovely postcrosser from ukraine that was sent on the 7th - it took me forever to write a hurray message but i ended up with focussing more on the responding to the postcard contents and how i enjoyed their message/card bc you never know how people might receive a reminder of the situation and it might be too much.
i ended with something like “i hope that you and your family are safe during this difficult time :heart:” as an acknowledgement that the international community knows that everything isnt normal right now, but we are there for them.

12 Likes

I like that simple approach!

1 Like

That was my original inclination. But it felt heartless to act like everything is fine and pretend that elephant is not standing right in the middle of the room. But you’re right, does the person want to be reminded in every aspect of their life of a terrible situation? I like the nod at the end and I guess the normalcy may be welcome. Thanks!

Because mail there still functions.
People in Russia, some are worried, scared even ashamed too. Even when they did nothing wrong, they just live in this country. By sending cards we can show that we understand they are individuals with feelings, we share the same hobby. Many of us has made friends from Russian postcrossers, they are good people as any of us.

If you have trouble accepting that, take a little break.

41 Likes