Can I write an address offset?

Hello! So I got an adorable envelope/letter set off of Amazon, however many of them have a little picture on the middle of the envelope where the address goes. I really don’t want to have to cover it with paper because I assume the USPS postal equipment can’t really read it?. Does anyone know if writing it to me the lower right (near the cloud) would work? If you have any suggestions they would be very appreciated!

1 Like

Absolutely, write it on the cloud. I would use a thicker pen or marker rather than a fine-tip pen to make it very visible. The worst that might happen is the machine can’t find it and it needs to be sorted by hand which could slow down delivery a little. But I have sent out some very strangly formatted envelopes many times with zero issues. It’s rare that my addresses ever go right in the center of an envelope because they’re often so cluttered with stamps. I’ve never had an envelope returned to me.

4 Likes

Even in that blue space on the lower right hand corner will work as well.

4 Likes

Would it work if you addressed it on the back?

1 Like

I believe the recipient’s address has to be on the same side as the stamps, so it can’t be at the back of the envelope if the stamps are on the front. However, if the OP wants to put the recipient’s address and stamps at the back to preserve the front, that should be ok. I’ve done that before. :wink:

@crazyseth: I sometimes decorate the envelopes to one of my penpals, and I put her address all over the place. She’s had no problems receiving every envelope. As long as the address is legible, I think it will be ok. As someone already posted, it just might be slightly delayed if the machines can’t read it and it has to be hand-sorted.

1 Like

Sometimes addresses on the back can be seen as a return address!

1 Like

I like to test the limits of what is considered an envelope or an address written on something, so I write the address in weird spots and put weird amounts of stamps on to test the system! B)

Here’s a fairly tame envelope I sent in the autumn, which arrived without any issue. An A5 envelope I wrote the address and put the stamps on vertically rather than horizontally (address removed for obvious reasons). If two postal systems (England and Canada) can cope with that, I’m sure they’ll cope with the address being offset.

2 Likes