Can I Do This? And What Category Would It Be In If I Did?

Hello,
My son’s 11h birthday is coming up near the end of September. I would like to solicit postcards from around the world wishing him a happy birthday and everyone who sends a postcard would be entered into a lottery to win some new, never used Canadian stamps issued in 2019, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.
Would this be ok to do? I have seen lotteries but they all seem to be for postcards so I don’t know if it’s allowed to give away stamps? Where would I put this request? Under lotteries or stamps or Spread The Joy (nonRAS)?

Apologies if this has already been covered in another thread. I could find nothing in my search related to this but it’s possible I missed something.

2 Likes

I think I’d put your request in Spread the Joy & you can mention you will put their names in a lottery for the stamps, but I don’t think you need a separate lottery post, that would be confusing plus lotteries generally don’t require that you send a postcard to someone before you can join.

You can just keep a list of who volunteered & decide when you want to do the draw.

4 Likes

Thank you, for your advice :blush:

1 Like

I did a lottery about a month ago to raise money for Postcrossing. People were asked to donate and donators were entered into a lottery for a nice card. Did not get a lot of participation but we did manage to raise about 100 Euros for the site and the people who did participate seemed to enjoy it.

I doubt anyone will shut you down or anything like that, so go ahead if you want to. But I do think that things which are a bit complicated get a lot less participation.

Anyways, happy birthday in advance to your son!

1 Like

I would advise the same as @LC-Canada, seems the most logical way.

By the way another way to receive postcards for your son’s birthday is participating in the Birthday round robin!

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/birthday-rr/316?u=scubaet

1 Like

I already have entered my first RR, a cat postcard one, and I think the rules state that until my cards are received from my first one, I am only allowed to participate in one at a time.

I agree with @LC-Canada and @ScubaET

The Spread the Joy Topic is the best place for your request.

If you would like to do that, you can open a new Topic there and I will close this here.

Sure, thanks😊

1 Like

Ahh, you did it already. :+1:

That’s usually the rule for a separate RR (or their host). And you’re well on time, subscription is till 20th of August for birthdays in September (from the top of my head)

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.