Can I choose my stamps at the post office?- USA

Whenever I go to the post office I take whatever stamps the workers give me but I do see a variety of USA forever stamps on display. Am I able to ask for my preferred choice or no? Not too sure. If I am able to do it, great! That would be cool.

Angie

1 Like

Yes, you can ask for what they have available. BUT some PO have limited stamps. The plus side is that stamps sold out online may be available at certain PO.

2 Likes

Yes you can. Simply ask can i see the variety? They will usually presemt several sheets what is avaliable. Not ever office orders the whole catalog. Someone at the post office is responsible for ordering the stamps. You can always ask or suggest a certain design they can consider order. I found out who was responsible at my office. I ask all the time.

However, you can always purchase online from the site. The offices have a variety from past years that havent been withdrawn. Have fun.

Op I see you live in Los Angeles County. There are MANY offices to choose.

1 Like

Hi Angie! Not only are you able to choose your choice of stamps, you can also choose stamps of different prices to add up to the amount it costs to send to different states or countries. I’ll try to add a pic. If it goes through, this is a recent Christmas and postcard I sent to Japan. Hope this helps!🫰🫶

5 Likes

Yes there are. Plus, there is variety. Only I have been using the same designs but not for long!

Nice! I will be doing this for some mail now that I know I can choose the designs and get the few cent stamps :blush:

1 Like

Some of the smaller cent stamps you may have to order from the USPS website if they don’t have. They charge a small fee like $1.50 even if it’s a big order. There only thing is, it take a few more days than usual to get your order but it’s worth it to me. I’m in Florida. Perhaps it might take a shorter time for you. Take care and happy postcrossing!

1 Like

Got it, thanks. Same to you- take care and happy postcrossing!

1 Like

Hello from a postal office worker!
Yes, you can choose! I usually purchase off the website since they have more variety - such as the precious new Love stamps.

1 Like

I only buy my stamps at the post office when I am in a pinch. I much prefer to buy my Forever stamps on the USPS web site as @toadallycool suggested. The additional postage needed to make up the international rate I buy at stamps shows.

2 Likes

The USPS web site works great, often has stamps not available at local post offices (the local ones only order a few different designs, usually) and the shipping is fast, is free if you accept the slower delivery time I believe, and has always arrived undamaged and exactly as ordered. You can order as few as 20 (again, I believe) of a single design up to thousands if you should need that many for some reason.

1 Like

Good question! If you want the best choice of stamps, order them online using the USPS website, otherwise the local post office may be SOLD OUT of certain varieties. That being said, if you want to take your chances at your local post office, you should be able to ask them for a particular stamp for purchase at their service desk. My local post office knows me (since I visit them so often) so they’ve gotten to know me over time.

2 Likes

I keep track of the International rate and keep a sticky note on my PC of what the postage has to add up to. Like, right now, my note says, “International First Class = $1.45” (…updated for 1/20/23 increase…). Below that I have the added note: “2 forevers plus 19 cents”. That way I know that I can use any 2 of the regular 1st class forever stamps that I order right from USPS, and then the other 19 cents comes from a baggie I keep with a big jumble of stamps of different denominations. (and sometimes I “go over” a little bit, just so they can have a cool stamp, or if the card is a bit bigger than normal - I even have some oversize cards just for the people who say they love stamps)
Etsy has some really good sellers who will sell you a lot of uncancelled stamps. My favorite Etsy seller sells “by color”, like “50 blue stamps”, or “100 orange stamps”. A couple times a year I buy several lots like that. (Just make sure they specify unused or uncancelled). The real fun of that is making up the full current rate using stamps that might have something the receiver said they like on their profile.
Kinda a long-ish answer - it’s just what I do. Between selecting the right stamps, washi, stickers and what-not, I have more fun preparing a postcard than receiving one most of the time.

UPDATE: Someone asked me in another PM to say who the Etsy seller is that I get my batches of stamps from. Disclaimer: I am not this seller and have no association with them beyond being a customer several times. I have been very pleased with my stamp purchases, though. That said, her shop is called “VerdeStudio”.

(I just got my last “lot” of stamps from her yesterday and laid them out today - this bundle was fun because it was a total mystery - a random selection of colors, sizes and denominations. I lay them out and take a photo. Then later when someone says on their profile that they are crazy about trains, I see that I have a nice 22cent stamp for them. Or if they love Einstein - hey, there is a perfect 8 cent stamp for them - it’s fun)

4 Likes

Don’t forget the prices will go up on the 20th! I also tend to buy different denominations from eBay. I have a lot of higher-value ones and not enough low-values… do you mind recommending the seller to me? I would love to check them out. I totally agree with having so much fun preparing a card. I usually spend a nice hour on picking out stamps, stickers, washi, etc… SO fun!

3 Likes