Are your postcards reaching Russia, Belarus and Ukraine

Why shouldn’t it? There’s nothing bad about a postcard or a letter.

BTW: In my post above I only mentioned the official cards. I sent also some tags to RU in March and several of them arrived already. Today one arrived that was sent on Mar 22, so it arrived in less than 2 weeks.

3 Likes

The word “interesting” is being misinterpreted in this instance. In this case it means " i didnt know that." Unfortunately expressions can mean different things in different languages.
And as a member of postcrossing for many years i absolutely do not feel sending a postcard is bad. Im not sure why you would even say that to me.

There is too much bullying on this “community.”

7 Likes

Calling Postcrossing dictatorial just because they don’t agree with your opinion is a bit…well, weird. It is their plattform and therefore it is their rules. When you don’t agree with that just put your account on hold as long you don’t want send cards to these countries.

They are a polite bunch of people, so getting blocked says much.

17 Likes

i don’t think it’s a realistic expectation that the postcrossing team blocks countries from personal accounts. there have been topics before with requests to ban people with wishlists, people from certain ages… that is not doable.

you have the freedom to not request an address if you don’t want to send a card.
i feel like a lot of people here seem to forget, but postcrossing is only a hobby. something to enjoy. if that is not happening anymore you can stop requesting addresses. there is absolutely nothing you need to do.

26 Likes

Take a few deep breaths, first.

You are of course welcome to and entitled to your feelings and opinions, but if you are not willing to send a postcard to whichever country you draw an address for, you should focus on tags or trades here in the forums.

Think about it, if the Postcrossing team were willing to honour all requests such as yours, we could end up with people asking for country blocks for all sorts of reasons, some good and some bad.

Postcrossing is about connection, most people don’t choose their country it is just where they happen to be born (unless they move of course) and even so, Postcrossing is about the people of any place, not their governments.

32 Likes

Right, Postcrossing is supposed to connect people.

But how can one feel like connecting with individuals who cynically call the condemnation of the war “hysterical” or openly justify the crime?

Personally, I have very mixed feelings about reading some statements of some Russian users on the main page and in the sub-forums. For example:

Более того, такие, когда пройдет медиа истерия, просто головой потрясут и “придут в себя”
Moreover, such ones, when the media hysteria passes, will just shake their heads and “come to their senses”

Вы тоже большая молодец! Держитесь с этим спамом белок-истеричек
You’re doing a great job, too! Hang in there with that hysterical squirrel spam

Or a comment under a Putin postcard:

"Guys! Pick up your pants! I am sending all your insults to our president to the administration of the postcrossing site. And I`m not interested in your opinion.
Every accomplice of Ukrainian facism - know - I will not miss!"

Those should have to “take a break”, not the ones who don`t want to send anything to Russia right now.

You’ re absolutely right of course. But still, I find the user RODO`s request understandable though.

16 Likes

There is more than one way to deal with the “problem”.1. No more addresses to draw, but the war can last a long time. 2. In my opinion, there is not enough space on a postcard to pull out addresses and write your opinion. 3. Send anti-war themed postcards, but they can be destroyed before they arrive. 4. Only send cards without text and picture to Russia. 5. Don’t see the elephant in the room and carry on as before. I am donating the money I would have spent on postcards and postage to the displaced people in Ukraine and am not drawing any addresses for the time being.

4 Likes

I have no problems with the delivery of cards sent to Russia. They arrived within 14-25 days and I got quite nice answers back. Some of them also wrote that they don‘t agree with the war and pray for peace.

5 Likes

When you drew the address, you confirmed, that you will send the card regardless of the address!
If you do not want to send to Russia, do not draw addresses. If you are not fine withe the postcrossing rules that you acknowledged when you signed up, then …

10 Likes

Have you reported these individuals and their comments? I sure hope so. Because it’s those individuals who are acting badly by politicizing the site. But that doesn’t mean that all Russians should, therefore, be banned.

6 Likes

Curios when this will be closed / deleted etc., because it`s (partly) off-topic :innocent::see_no_evil:

I reported the one about the “Ukranian fascists”. On the other hand: where to start? I wouldn’t want to do that to myself. Maybe that`s why I do it here to get it off my soul at once? :woman_shrugging:
A Ukrainian user shared a few links yesterday, e.g. this one and the first reaction was

fake news

followed by

Are you sure the Info from those links are true? Because I am not sure that any participant in the political situation is telling the truth.

And lots more, something like “Russians having to wear a yellow star in the future” and so on.
My empathy really doesn’t go that far as to have much understanding for some people’s reactions and statements anymore. Some are just so twisted, you don’t even know whether to get angry or just wonder. I´ve tried to understand, but: no.

On-topic again:
I sent cards to Belarus and Russia and they arrived faster than expected. 10, 11 and 15 days. Friendly message, friendly hurray reply. One user wrote to me that she was “insanely happy” to get cards during these times. A relieving contrast to some extreme “opinions” I had to read here in the forum.

At the moment a card has been travelling to a 9 year old Russian boy for 16 days. When I saw his profile picture I was so delighted as he looks just like a little Harry Potter. I really hope it will reach him and not expire.

9 Likes

That’s great that you can still send them. Like many other countries, Canada Post has suspended mail delivery to Russia and Belarus.

They say it is because of international agreements of the Universal Postal Union, of which Deutsche Post is also a member. However, parcels and express shipments (via DHL) can no longer be sent.

2 Likes

Italian Post had suspended mail delivery to Russia at the beginning on March, and started it again about 3 weeks ago, saying it could suffer severe delays.

So I’m not particulary worried that the cards I sent around February 15th (which are going to expired soon) and those I sent on March 29th have not arrived yet. I’m confident they will sooner or later.

1 Like

Other countries who also are part of it suspended their service. It isn’t the first time the UPU is used as an excuse. Like I wrote before letters and postcards are basic infrastructure granted by law. As far the structures still exist they have to send it. Good example is North Korea who is suspended. Before they could use a hub in China but that doesn’t seem to exist anymore, so they have no means anymore. Funny thing is that parcels can be send without problems, so they seem to go an other way.

I’m sure other countries have other laws and therefore can suspend services easier. I won’t say that can’t happen in Germany too but that is unlikely at the moment. Germany is economy driven and economy has strong bonds with Russia for obvious reason (GDR). To release them they have to find other means and that may be not wanted or it takes time.

1 Like

There is simply no reason to stop delivery to Russia.

2 Likes

If a country is no longer flying to a country because of sanctions, it becomes nearly impossible for them to get mail there.

2 Likes

Yes, but I referred to Usi from Germany and Deutsche Post either can deliver to Russia or can hand the mail over to Posta Rossija’s plant in Berlin.

Oh ok. Sorry. I misunderstood.

1 Like

Yes, sadly the forum does not show the reference if you refer to the latest posting.