Are these postmark?

Are those lines postmark? Thank you!

I would say yes. They are cancelled somehow and therefore not valid and usable anymore.

1 Like

Thank you!!

Doesn’t look like postmarks to me. They are very clear and always positioned exactly the same.
Especially on the stamps with the toys it looks like the lines are supposed to be a “street”.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. The Lines conveniently stop so the toys are Not touched. Certainly not a postmark

2 Likes

I did a little research and I’m afraid I’m wrong: this is the mint version of the toy stamps:

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B001IKE052

2 Likes

Wow, in That case they did a great Job cancelling

1 Like

To me it seems they’re precancelled, look here:

And here, a page from USPS on how to use precancelled stamps.

1 Like

This’s a great website! Thanks!

1 Like

I have some new ones of nativity, and there are already printed on the signs.
Here they are shown as mint and pre-cancelled, so I think they’re this last one category :wink:

1 Like

As imbrito mentioned, they are precanceled stamps, however these are not the usual ones. They were an experimental issue sold to the general public (normally they are not) during the Christmas season (1970?) in hopes of speeding up processing by eliminating the postmarking step. It was a total disaster with people peeling them off and reusing them, as well as confusing postal clerks used to the standard precanceled stamps that require a permit to use(so mail was being returned to sender inadvertently).

3 Likes