Are these kind of postcards okay for Postcrossing? šŸ¤”

They are fabulous just the sort I would love to receive,

1 Like

WOW! They are so cute! I would be happy to receive one. Iā€™m not learning Chinese, but Iā€™m interested in languages and I especially like the transcription.
I know two great series of Belarusian postcards with pictures and words and I adore them. My Chuvash friend and I tried to use their idea to create Chuvash educational postcards.
So, thanks for sharing - thatā€™s also a great idea for language activists from different countries.

1 Like

I used to have these exact flashcards! How nostalgic seeing them. It would certainly be a unique card to receive.

1 Like

Of course! These are postcards which Iā€™ll definitely love to receive. (Lowkey wishing you would pick my address through the randomizer haha :joy::face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

Some may not appreciate it, but I definitely will because these are the ones that are unique and reflect a countryā€™s culture. Itā€™s hard to get these. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

If youā€™re looking for someone to send ā€˜inappropriateā€™ cards to, I will always take inappropriate cards!

2 Likes

I personally would absolutely love these!

1 Like

I think I can continue here with my own wondering?

I have few of these cards, and they would be very nice to send for the ones who asks things about my home town, our cultural things etc.

Oulu is known as ā€œTiernakaupunkiā€, where this tradition is really strong.
But the last years has come up, that itā€™s racist, as one of the kids sometimes is ā€œblack facedā€.
(This king is the good one, hoped for, so he is in good light.)
These cards are still openly sold here, as is the play performed, so for the majority here (in Oulu) itā€™s tradition, and they wonā€™t even think about it, unless someone points it out.

Out of curiousity, what would everyone say, is this style ok for Postcrossing?

4 Likes

Same like ā€œSwarte Pietā€ in the Netherlands, I think. I would send out the card with a similar explanation on the back like the one you just gave.

4 Likes

I love languages, and would be absolutely delighted to get a card like this!

1 Like

I personally wouldnā€™t find it offensive- I think cultural and historic works like this are fascinating and Iā€™d be happy to receive a card like this explaining what it was. But then again, I like cheeky and ā€˜offensiveā€™ postcards and often find it amusing that others might find them offensive:)

1 Like

@Sleep if you still have some of the flashcards with languages on them, I would gladly send you a card in return.

1 Like

@S_Tuulia I think with your informative explanation it would be quite fine, but then again there are some who might be offended in America because here there are some who find all black face references offensive (due to slavery issues), rather than a historical conversation starter.
Perhaps use them via the forum for a historical tag, or put them in an envelope so one of the many people who view them in their travels through different post offices wonā€™t try to ā€˜defaceā€™ them.
There is a place in Postcrossing for nearly every postcard.

I think these cards are not postcards,they are just some cards used for learning language like Chinese.But these cards look really great and beautiful,I usually see them in the shopping mall in China.