Anyone else’s cards to Russia take forever?

Hi PC friends!

I’m just wondering if any of you guys experience the same?

Most cards I sent to Russia take long… (50 - 100 days usually) and also many get expired/lost.

I’m wondering if I should do something different?

• With/without enveloppe?
  • Leave more space on the card or not?
  • use different letters / handwriting?

Do these things matter you think?
(P.s. not about being impatient or annoyed, not at all, just worried post officers want another approach)

Thanks for thinking with me :slight_smile:
Roosmarijn

3 Likes

I’m interested in answer(s) to this question, too. Out of desperation I have decided to write less and devote the most space to the address area of the card. I type the address, too. Anything to help out the postman/woman.

1 Like

Postcards from the Netherlands and the USA, take ~ 30 days, you can see it by the timeline on my wall. And I do not live in the European part of Russia, that is, I am 6,000 km away from Moscow. So I think these are some special cases. Have a nice day.

1 Like

My cards from the USA to Russia have taken anywhere from 16 to 49 days to arrive.

From other members with non-Latin characters in their address, I’ve been told that using the address in the non-Latin characters travels faster. You can always ask the member for their address in Russian and see if that helps.

Keep in mind, too, that since the 4th quarter 2020 the postal service has been having delays due to COVID. I’ve had cards from December arrive to me just this week.

1 Like

Mine, on average: 40 days travel for those sent; 53 days for those received. Swaps typically take about 50-60 days, either way.
I have one that has expired and is clocking 123 days and one about to expire.
I asked one member from Russia if it mattered whether envelope or not. She suggested it made no difference. One member told me the postcard arrived, but the stamps had been removed.
If the address is provided in Cyrillic lettering, I use that address with the hope that it helps.
It’s my observation that it’s not ‘just’ Russian postal services. Postal services are struggling like any other business during the pandemic.
Typically, most of my sent postcards are taking 3 weeks, to 5-8 weeks. A long wait for exchange through the algorithm.
Fortunately, we have so many fora so efficiently run by member to choose from to fill in those long waits.

2 Likes

yap at least 60 days both ways. if not longer. I am happy with 60 days.

1 Like

Thanks all of you!
I don’t mind it taking long, just helps that i know it’s the same with others.
Extra happy when we get a ‘hurray’ :heart:

Hm I actually have the subjective feeling that Germany-Russia works quite well at the moment. My traveling ones are at 99, 50, 19, 18, 12, 11 (in 2021) and the last sent ones at 26, 36, 14, 22, 15, 27. :thinking: Do you always write the zip code as the last address line? And by the way, I never use cyrillic letters.

4 Likes

My cards from Germany to Russia take from 8 days to never arrived. Since Covid many of them arrive within a fourtnight, while they took 4 weeks before Covid. Others still take forever. To me it is unpredictable how long cards ru Russia take, for it neither depends on the usage of cyrillic letters nor on the destination.

1 Like

I always write exactly the order that the receiver puts on their profile.
But by the looks of it, it doesn’t seem to matter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello from Russia!
I think it depends on to which part of Russia you are writing. For example, there are my stats for the Netherlands:

I’m from Nizhny Novgorod (it’s in the European part, in 4 hours from Moscow by hide speed train). It usually takes a card about 15-30 days to reach me and 20-30 or a little bit more to get to the Netherlands.
And also the time when you send the card (= when it’s about to arrive to Russia) may also be the reason. Because post offices don’t work during the holidays (New Year and Christmas, Women’s day, Day of Defender of the Fatherland, the 1st May, Victory Day, etc) the card may be given to the receipt several days later after its arrival.
And being honest, not all our post offices work well. And as I recently read on the Russian part of the forum, there may be cases when your postman is sick and there’s no one who can deliver your cards, or it also may happen that a postman suddenly quited their job…
So, I don’t think that the reason is in you. Everything is different, things happen. It’s always really sad that a card travels for a long time or is expired :c
I suppose that the only things you can do is writing addresses the most readable they or printing them, try to place stamps a little further from the meaningful parts of the address (name of the street, number of the house and flat, index). If it’s possible write the address in Russian, some people believe that it may help (but I don’t recommend to do it if you are unsure if you did it right, if you found the right Russian equivalent for the street’s name, etc because we use abbreviations that only we can understand like ul., pl., prd. and others as in the same city may be, for example, ulitsa (street) Sovetskaya and square (ploshad’) Sovetskaya, etc).

It really doesn’t matter. Someone starts with the city’s names, another starts with the street’s name… But write as the receipt requested!
The only thing I really can wish you is to stay patient and don’t become disappointed, cards will arrive one day :sparkles: It always takes time, especially now.

2 Likes

Hi!:slight_smile:
I’m from Russia. Postcards from other countries come to me quickly. But here from me to other countries sent in the last two months for some reason do not reach or go more than two months. Our post is working well. Even if you write the address in Latin letters, we will get everything. The main thing is to write the address legibly, especially the index

3 Likes

This makes a huge difference. Always write our addresses as indicated by the recipient

4 Likes

Russia is our neighbour country but it still usually takes even 40-50 days that my mail arrives to Russia, even without covid delays.

2 Likes

And today one was registered afrer 163 days. There is always hope!

1 Like

I have to admit that I don ´t like sending postcard to Russian. I don ´t mind that it takes long to arrive however I have the exporience that If it takes more than 30 days it never arrive to addresser. :slightly_frowning_face::woman_shrugging:

thanks for your really detailed answer!
It’s really not about that i’m disappointed or not patient, trust me, it was really an idea I might have been doing something wrong. But I understand now!
I love that postofficers take so much effort to deliver our cards in all over the world in many different ways. Even more special if it arrives after a long time. As long as I don’t make it more difficult for the postofficer, then i’m ok. :slight_smile:
Thanks again everyone and Happy Postcrossing! :love_letter: :heart:

3 Likes

I have been told that all mail going to Russia goes to Moscow first, and then is distributed from there internally. This may be apart of the time expended if you are not sending something to Moscow. My experience has shown that if the address is provided in Cyrillic and you use that, you meet with greater success (more likely to arrive and in less time).

2 Likes

i feel like my cards to russia either arrive within 2 or 3 weeks or they’ll expire. i have 5 cards to russia travelling for over 100 days. though 2 of them haven’t been online.

i checked those addresses though and all of them have only one address, not written in russian. usually when there’s two options i print the address in the language of the receiver, but that doesn’t happen a lot with russian profiles (in my case at least).

1 Like

Of course. It has always been like that and always will be, covid or not. I lost quite a number of cards to Russia and I never expect them to take less than a month. In fact my last few ones took less than a month and I’m delighted and happy!

I write all addresses in Cyrillic and not just copying them, I know Russian enough to write the whole postcard in it, recipients usually say my Russian is good. But I often wonder if it’s in fact really bad because so many of my cards to Russia are lost so maybe I can’t write addresses properly.

I also have one or two that took 200+ days, way before the pandemic (though I don’t know if they had arrived before but there was a huge delay in registering).

It’s one of the most talked about topics in postcrossing ever since I’ve been around and probably longer, if you read around a lot of threads you’ll see how normal it is to take a while to Russia and how unpredictable it can be (some are quick but you don’t know why!)

1 Like