Any interest in starting a May Day/Celebrating workers share/swap?

Hi Everyone, I’m testing the waters here to see if there is any interest in holding a
May Day/Celebrating workers postcard share and swap later in April?

These would be postcards celebrating or showing workers in their workplaces, May Day worker events, arts & culture celebrating workers, historical workers’ strikes/bargaining gains & campaigns/demonstrations/creative actions or other ideas I’d welcome people to add.

This last year has been so hard for workers all over the world. Especially essential & front line workers who often have not had the proper protection or economic support to do their jobs or survive layoffs/closures throughout this pandemic.

Workers have kept our supply lines going including postal services :smile:, kept healthcare & transportation going, schools & daycares going, kept our grocery & needed retail going and critical government services etc.

I think this last year has shown so starkly how capitalism exploits workers and doesn’t value our labour. We deserve more & will demand more & want a very different world going forward and there are lots of exciting discussions & organizing going on worldwide to this end. So lots to appreciate & celebrate I think.

I searched the old Forum, but I couldn’t find any shares or swaps, maybe there were some, but they didn’t come up in any searches I did.

So I’m looking for people to say they’re interested in participating & add other ideas/themes to the mix. And I wanted to give people a heads up & time to find or get cards. Thanks for your help!

5 Likes

Hello Lynn,
You have touched upon a very interesting and important topic.
In the modern world, the labor movement is “not in trend”. This theme is not reflected on the postcards, although I found 2 postcards on my site dedicated to workers. But these are reprints of Soviet posters.
Earlier, in the USSR, May 1 was a national, joyful holiday. By the way, greeting cards were popular. Now this day is a day off, but there are no festive events.

2 Likes

Well that’s too bad about your part of the world, but it is still celebrated in many places and could be again elsewhere, so I thought I’d ask the question & see who responded and who was interested.

Yes, the labour movement & movements for non-union workers are often suppressed or not popular & yet, they still can thrive & be needed & wanted by workers today, more than ever.

And yes, you don’t find many made postcards celebrating workers or May Day, but they can be found or made and that’s what I wanted to see if I could get started on here on Postcrossing. Thanks for your thoughts.

1 Like

I remember a People at work tag in the old forum quite long ago. Maybe it could be an option to start a poll in the Vote on new tags! topic and ask the community if enough members are interested in a Workers tag.
I think I have different postcards showing people at work but I cannot remember one with a May Day picture.

1 Like

Thanks for the history. I’m not super interested in a tag at this point. I’d rather get a share and swap done first, specific to May Day, before I’d want to commit to a tag that goes on for much longer.

Postcards of workers in their workplace are included in the description of what I’ve proposed so far as well - they don’t have to be specific to May Day.

Here’s what I found.

1 Like

And theese:

As you worked so you earned.
We have fulfilled the plan. And you?

1 Like

The one with the phone makes laugh - he clearly looks like he working on the outside superstructure of a building - lots of phones there eh? lol

Yes, she works on the construction of a high-rise building. There were intercom telephones.

1 Like

Okay glad you told me, it doesn’t really look like one though - looks like a desk phone.