Angola

Visiting Angola for a few days and sending some postcards. A picture of the old central post office in Luanda:

The philatelic office had a pile of postcards for around ½$ each:

This stamp for 0,40$ was valid for all countries:

Sent a few cards to postcrossers starting with AO-105. I hope they will arrive…
Angola is now visa free so very easy to visit for most tourists.

Update. The 16 postcards I brought from home (mapcards and similiar) which didn’t have the “postage paid” on them was charged an additional 1000 Kw each or 1,2$. Since I got a receipt it might have been right although it didn’t make sense. It’s never easy to send postcards from Africa. Good news is they canceled all the cards. I also added a picture from the philatelic room at the post office.

47 Likes

Lovely cards! Thank you for always sharing stories from your travels :smiley:

1 Like

What a beautiful stamp!
Just by curiosity @singelpuff, why did you go to Angola? And where?

Angola is on my short-list of countries to visit soon, but it looks like I’ll be doing more travels in the Middle East before I get back to Africa. I’d love to hear more about your experiences there!

Always enjoy reading about your travels! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing about your travel again. :smiling_face: Many will appreciate the informations, and I’m glad to be able to see the photos of its post office, postcard, and stamp. I hope all the cards you sent will arrive safely. Safe travel and looking forward to your next adventures! :smile:

sent a PM have a question

Sorry for late reply. The primary reason for this trip was to meet a friend from England on Sao Tome Island. Since you can easily combine Angola with Sao Tome I opted to do that. There is a direct flight between the two countries once a week. Angola is now visa free for EU countries so very easy to visit. The Portuguese airline TAP also flies to both so I bought an open jaw ticket. In Angola I only visited Luanda for three days but did a full day tour to sights outside the capital as well. I really liked Luanda. It is not as expensive as some people say. Local food is as cheap as anywhere else. Gert

Very interesting to have your perspective and experience!
Obrigado!

Hi @singelpuff , just wondering if any of your postcards turned up? I’ll be travelling to Angola soon and I’m interested in your feedback, cheers!

1 Like

Hi, So far one card has arrived in China and one one in Hong Kong and two to Malaysia. Last two you can see at: smspostcard.blogspot.com
I have also received a cover I sent to myself but not the postcard. So yes - I think they will eventually all arrive but it sure was not fast.
While wearing shorts in Luanda was fine - don’t visit the post office in them. I was told off by two ladies there saying you must have long trousers in government buildings! Gert

2 Likes

When you enter the post office - go to your right. At the end is the door to the philatelic office where you can buy postcards and stamps.No need to queue anywhere else.

1 Like

Today the postcard I sent to myself arrived so the postcards that I sent officially with postcrossing numbers should turn up too. Gert

2 Likes

Again, it was very interesting to read about your adventure! :smiley: