Alternative Monthly NARR - July to Dec 2023 - December sign-ups closed

Happy news: I received fabulous postcards

#4 @LLAcademy - scientific drawing of a “gemeine Zwergmispel” or Cotoneaster integerrim Medicus (a deciduous shrub) - I do the modern equivalent of nature journals, I take hundreds of photos while we’re out and about. My latest discovery was a lizard with a turquoise belly (Western fence lizard).

#5 @sleepyhippo1 - awesome elephant with library shelves superimposed on the ears. Did you manage to send out your postcards?

#6 @dnrhott - Tobin Bridges in the Feather River Canyon in California. I don’t watch much TV, only documentaries when I do watch, so I have no favorites comics/cartoons.

#7 @nursegarry - Ieyasu Tokugawa, first shogun and one of three unifiers of Japan. Samurai uniforms actually created the art of kumihimo (braiding) as the armor took 137 braids to hold in place. Kimonos actually really got me interested in costumes and embroidery. Once you see the artistry behind the kimonos, you start to understand why they are so expensive. Thanks for the interesting stamps!

#11 @MuttleysMom - autumn in Montana showing beautiful mountains with snow (our mountains only have snow for a few months). Sadly it’s far too hot to hike in the summer, so I instead sit on the patio and watch the monsoon storms rolling in.

#12 @durangirl - a Paul Cezanne drawing of the Gulf of Marseille, France - I spent several months in Marseille and loved it. Kathy, your scheduling sounds like my sister’s. She’s a nurse and has said it’s a major reason for people leaving the hospital.

You can see all the postcards at Alt NARR Jul 2023 | Flickr (I will add all the outstanding postcars to this album).

4 Likes

#13 Hazygirl received

#5 @sleepyhippo1 sent Ruby Falls, TN. That is an excellent score that you got!!!

#7 @nursegarry sent La Catrina with excellent stamps. Have fun at the wedding!

2 Likes

from @LLAcademy nice to meet you. A nice sunset just where i would like to venture too. Yes Trinidadian you met we are down to earth folks. Well i am. :grinning: thank you.

2 Likes

July 2023

#6 @dnrhott sends a fun postcard from Petersen Rock Garden, I would love to visit this…I love your purple pen!

#4 @LLAcademy sends a beautiful vintage ad for bicycles! I love that you are familiar with our area in California!!

2 Likes

Haha @durangirl (#12), I received yours today too! Love that it’s not just any California card, but MODESTO :heart_eyes: Your sweet note was very encouraging, thank you so much! Major congrats on your kiddos academic success! Any spare pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated if we swap again :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

2 cards for us (#4) today, and we’re loving the history!! :slight_smile:

@Sunshein (#10) Sends a great card about Arizona’s State flag & other state history. That’s so cool about how the states were almost divvied up! Guess Texas isn’t the only lone star state haha! Thank you so much!!

@Hazygirl (#13) sends a really nice card about the Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. Both of my grandfathers fought in wars, one WW2 and the other Korea, so it was really nice to take a deeper look into that history. For my 8 year old, looking at your card he instantly thought of his army guys so he asked to send this to you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Omg I love it! Tell him thank you. He just made my day. :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks @MuttleysMom and @durangirl
I love both this cards very much. I don’t have any summer plans really. I have had my air on since April! :joy: I’m not a fan of the heat

3 Likes

#12 @durangirl sent the map of Massachusetts. I used to go there a few times a year to visit my aunts. We had loads of fireworks around here too!

3 Likes

@nursegarry wow you are quite busy my gosh i couldn’t venture to all those places I would like to see Peru and Japan. Nice Decembre card of some sort of princess goddess. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi!!! Just to let you know I mailed my cards today. I have a terrible handwriting. Feel free to ask me for traduction :grin:

5 Likes

Received @ReadWithMelissa (#8) Love this quote by Alice Walker! I still remember choosing her for my Modern Author’s assignment in college. Thank you so much for the extras! And oh, when I saw the tree design on the envelope it was just too perfect. It looks almost exactly like the logo for our homeschool! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks @Hazygirl for the great elephant :elephant: card.

Thanks so much @snailmailkait for the beautiful card. You definitely need a couple of rose bushes, they are beautiful despite the thorns.

2 Likes

Received card from @Maslover12 cute panda card. I loved the decorations, than you so much! I love fresh baked cookies, chocolate chip cookies are my favorite. My favorite way to relax is to sit on the couch with the hubby and the dog and watch something on Netflix.

Received card from @LLAcademy. Yay my first Lou Paper state card sent to me! Thank you telling me about your family. I really enjoy receiving postcards where people tell me about their lives. And the heat over there! It gets hot only two or three months of the year in Montana. We’ll be in the 90’s until September.

This RR has been fantastic! Each postcard I receive has been really engaging for me. Just brightens my day! Thanks everyone!

4 Likes

Received @snailmailkait (#3) a really cool Colorado card. Not only is your handwriting epically gorgeous, but your description of the moth migration was amazing! Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

July
#13 hazygirl received

#14 @Maslover12 sent a very well dressed and dapper Lion. Excellent!

3 Likes

That Lion is too cute!!! :smiley: Who is the artist?

1 Like

#3 @snailmailkait lovely fruits i will enjoy the juicy taste of water melons pine apple and cantaloupe but my best is mango from my native Trinidad called lady nose .Hope the low carb diet is keep you full. Thank you. :grinning:

@Maslover12 Hi Step you made my day with all these stickers of dinos and even a shark. A card of Eric Carle he writes children books. Thanks for liking my profile pic drawing i wonder if i still got it ? Been so long. Thank you friend :star_struck:

@Hazygirl Jo Ann so much going on in this card so much scary creatures :flushed: lol. Holy smokes. Loving it. Thank you :blush: love the water melon washi.

#6 @Sunshein A cave from Carisbad Carvens National Park in NM. Wonder how that formed very interesting :thinking:. Love your inks thank you friend :blush:.

Thank you all for such great views keep cool now.

3 Likes

#13 hazygirl
@LLAcademy sent Hokusai! This is a great set. I love the paper that it’s on.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Received for July.
@ReadWithMelissa a beautiful seahorse with great stickers. I love that aquarium.
@Sunshein a fancy hat and dress. Your trip sounds wonderful.
@durangirl cute flower fairies with great stickers and washi. We didn’t do anything for the holiday. Just a relaxing day at home.
@snailmailkait Oklahoma City zoo. I was able to visit this zoo in March. It’s a nice one. I hope to make it to the San Diego zoo at some point.
@MuttleysMom a beautiful waterfall. That’s great you get to take your dog on adventures. What a great life he is living.
@Maslover12 a cute cougar and her baby. Stickers arrived unharmed.
@nursegarry be kind. I had a quiet holiday at home.
@Hazygirl a heart in the sand. I am getting quite a few heart card, and a good variety of them.

Thanks everyone

7 Likes