All About "Repeated Countries" Option

Maybe it’s faith and the algorithm knows that you love sending to people in Russia. :blush::joy:

:joy: :joy: You never know right? I don’t mind, but even when I had repeated countries on I didn’t get this many cards to Russia. As long as they arrive (hopefully within 60 days) I’m fine with it :smiley:

2 Likes

They’ll arrive, I’m sure. Your travelling time (regarding Russia) is amazing. I’m having an average travel time of 36 days and I’d love love love :star_struck: to shorten it to 29 (it should at least be under 30 days​:blush:).

Yeah, usually they arrive within 30-40 days. Some take a little longer now due to everything that is going on, but all in all, still good traveling times :smiley:

I have the repeat and own countries turned on and, since the USA still can’t send to Russia, I usually get Germany and USA. However, I was on “traveling” to go to the awesome meetup in Longyearbyen, Svalbard and had 22 open slots - I drew ALL 22 to Russia! Since I’ve been home (and off “traveling”), I’ve had one opening and drew a US address.
I don’t mind because I’m still sending postcards to people I don’t know and I still receive postcards from all countries.
PS - one advantage to getting US addresses is that I can write in my normal, sloppy script instead of block print. I wouldn’t subject a non-native English speaker to that!

3 Likes

I’m also seeing an increase in cards to Russia without having Repeated Countries on. Currently 8 out of 26 for me. But since I’m learning Russian, I’m not complaining. I get more practice than ever :slight_smile: :ru:

Was it?

There was a time when my average to Russia was 57 days - and that was before the pandemic! I kid you not!
Currently it is 42 but I can’t send to Russia since… February/March I guess.

I think all those seeing more Russian addresses with Repeated, it’s because many others can’t send to Russia. I am not a big sender but clearly you are getting all the Russia I can’t get, and multiply it for many many users. I read above that the US still can’t send to Russia so you are getting all the Russia that Americans can’t get. So there you go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pure Russian postcrossers have to wait too long, because still too many countries (incuding mine) doesn’t send to Russia :frowning:

During my holiday in Croatia, I turned on travel mode and got 3 Russian addresses…

I miss all private swaps I used to make with people in Russia…

Typo… not “pure”, but “poor”

What is an ‘impure’ Russian? I don’t understand how you use that word?

I suspect from the context that what was meant was “poor”. :wink: Most of us are not native speakers of English, so mistakes happen.

4 Likes

“happy” to read I am not the only one. I don’t mind either, I am also trying to write some words in Russian, but I just noticed the increase and I indeed started to wonder if I had repeated countries on and it was not.

Thank you - that makes a lot of sense!

1 Like

Oh yes, the Japanese postcrosser was very happy receiving their first card from me. I got a lovely Hurray mail from them. Now I actually have one card travelling to China, but I think it will take a while to arrive (it has been travelling only for 6 weeks so far).

1 Like

I am sory… I wanted to write “poor”, but made mistake and autocorrect corrected it to “pure” (correct word but not in this situation :slight_smile: )

I hope it is OK to say (in English) that somebody is “poor” if I feel sorry about them beeing in bad sutuation without their fault?

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, poor is the correct word! :+1: I make mistakes in language myself, and was not wanting to be mean or rude, but honestly confused. Also, I sometimes post at site with no editing after posts, autocorrect had made some truly strange choices for me and others there!

2 Likes

I haven’t got repeated on, but recently have had many, many more than normal going to Russia. I did wonder if German postcrossers are saving slots for 1st December and their big charity push, and therefore, there are fewer cards travelling from Germany. It’ll be interesting to see if things change tomorrow and for the next month.

3 Likes

Very well said and I thing you’re right :slight_smile:

I did, and I while I have repeated countries on most of the time, I’m still unsure how if I keep it as it is or switch it on and off.

Last year it went well (of course only Germany, USA and Russia and suprise cardto Thailand) and the cards made it in time to count for the charity action. In fact only two cards to germany got lost forever.

So, I think I will try first with repeated, and maybe if it gets too much longtravellers switch it off.

1 Like