All About "Repeated Countries" Option

I reactivated repeated countries a few days ago, hoping to get more German addresses (because they arrive quickly) and instead I got only Russian adresses (which often take a long time) :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it just bad luck, or are more Russian adresses assigned to me because other counties have suspended mail to Russia now? :thinking: :female_detective:

2 Likes

eh. not to discourage you but my traveling list looks like this. the usa today was a nice surprise. they don’t arrive as fast (two weeks) as they used to either. but! once in a while i get other countries like estonia, luxembourg, france, japan… so that’s quite nice.

2 Likes

I always had most of my addresses travelling to Russia. They recently started to arrive faster than they used to in the past few years. Althought there is always a portion that takes forever.

1 Like

Yes, that was my experience for a few months earlier this year. Then I switched repeated countries off, rarely get Russia, but frequently get Germany, which I’m pleased about, for the same reason as you - they generally get there quickly.

1 Like

I only have nine slots, but this is typical of variation for me…

2 Likes

Do you have repeated countries on, or off?

OFF, I suppose, that box has not been ticked/checked.

1 Like

I have a card travelling to someone who has sent 90% of his cards to just 2 countries, how is this possible, he has received from many countries. I thought who we sent to was random. Puzzled .

I think that it is caused by this option

4 Likes

I think @Risaikuru_Ichi is right.
If that option is checked, we most likely will get the same country many times (not always). Usually because there are so many members in that country.

1 Like

I have it turned off right now. I used to use it on my old profile and mostly got Germany, Russia and USA. Maybe after a little while of receiving/registering postcards (have not got any yet…) on this account, I’ll turn it back on.

Maybe it’s a country that has many restrictions when sending mail but not for receiving mail :woman_shrugging:

I think it is the repeated countries option turned on. I have it on too and almost 90% of my cards went to Germany or Russia in the past year. The rest went to the USA. Now all my sent cards go to Russia. It could be result of USA not sending there or just a coincidence. In 2016/2017 I sent 33 cards, out of which 31 went to Russia.

2 Likes

That’s strange.
Most of the time I also had repeated countries turned on and got many addresses from Germany (had this option turned on most of the time, too), USA, Russia and Netherlands, but always got addresses from other countries, too.
I turned the repeated countries off when several countries suspended mail to Russia in March as I got almost only Germany and Russia, but still get up to 5-7 Russian addresses travelling at the same time. (I don’t mind to send to Russia, but don’t want to send 50% of my cards within Germany and 50% to Russia.) I hardly get other European adresses (mainly NL and FI).

Last year I sent 90% of my cards to USA, Russia and Germany. Most of the time I had repeated countries activated.

These three countries are by far the most active ones. At least in USA and Germany the postal service is quite quick, cheap and reliable.

2 Likes

This is an interesting exercise. I had repeated countries on for all of last year, so I’ve just checked, and 74.8% of my postcards went to Germany, Russia and the USA. I find it quite surprising that more than a quarter of the postcards I sent went to countries other than the top three.

2 Likes

New user from the USA here; I toggled on the same country setting after sending my first batch of 5. Since then, I have only sent a single card to a country that isn’t Germany or the USA. In the summary I received for July, I sent 6 to Germany, 4 to the USA, and 0 elsewhere. This is heavily enabled by the fact that USA cannot draw Russia right now because we cannot send to Russia through direct methods.

I’m going to turn off domestic postcards in the near future to see if I can get a near 100% Germany rate.

*I love sending cards to Germany, since it lets me practice my German, and the travel times are generally short.

7 Likes

I have had 30 postcards registered so far this year - only one didn’t go to “the big three”. I do have the repeated countries option on.

I draw one address at a time however, so this influences my stats as well.

1 Like

At least here in the UK the cost to post anywhere in the world is the same, however it is quite expensive. The cost is low compared to most hobbies & the joy of communicating with people all over the world is worth it.

4 Likes

If you send one postcard per day, the postage adds up to £ 584 per year and if a postcard costs £ 1, then you have to add £ 365 and this adds up to £ 949, not exactly cheap in my opinion.

1 Like