A cartographic suggestion

When we send or receive a postcard, Postcrossing provides us with a helpful little map depicting the postcard’s journey. Map A supposedly depicts the travels of a card that I recently sent to Germany. The problem is, the card took twenty-eight days to arrive as opposed to the average eleven days that my cards typically take to arrive in Germany. So I believe that the graceful little blue arc that the Postcrossing algorithm used to depict the travels of my card is not really accurate. Perhaps in situations like these, the Postcrossing algorithm should use a perhaps more accurate diagram like that in map B.

A)

B)

35 Likes

:rofl:

6 Likes

If our postcards could tell us… where they went. :laughing:

15 Likes

Maybe it’s best that we don’t know.

12 Likes

:crazy_face: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Then again, for the smaller places our cards go through they bring just a little bit of happiness to an extra person or two! :nerd_face:

:turtle:

3 Likes

Then again, with the German matrix stamps, it’s possible at least within Germany. I don’t track it, but sometimes the cards seem really travel in circles, as far as I read it in the German topics :wink:

1 Like

I received a postcard from Russia today, which is stamped Missent to Korea.

Instead of this nice, direct line

Russia to Norway

It could look like this:
Missent

23 Likes

XDDDD Can you show this Korea stamp?

Map A is correct, , but the card took a few breaks before leaving the USA.

At least someone in Korea got to see a view of St. Petersburg, assuming that this is the card in question. (Sixty-six day travel time).

P.S.: I just saw this posting from @ykarenes in the “Missent cards” section of the forum. Korea must be some sort of gigantic postcard magnet.

14 Likes

I looked in this topic, excited for cartography, but I have to say the chuckle I had from this was better than any suggestion I expected :rofl:

8 Likes

The same kind of stamp which is on the postcard I received, at about the exact same place as well.

2 Likes

Amazing suggestion! :joy:

1 Like

But I suppose a more accurate map of our postcards’ adventures (or more accurately, misadventures) would make a lot of Postcrossers very, very, dizzy.

3 Likes