9 April 2022: SAN FRANCISCO meetup!

Hello, fellow Postcrossers!

This is really exciting news & I look forward to attending on the 9th.

I would like 10 of the meetup postcards, please.

LiFi / Linda

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen the official cards yet, but Iā€™m sure they will be cute! :blush:

I plan to attend. Please put me down for 20 meet-up cards.

Looking forward to the ā€œswapā€ tables.

Assume there will be lots of ā€œunofficialā€ card signing too.

1 Like

Sounds good - I think that people will be happy to sign whatever card passes their way! :blush:

Hello! I will be coming from northern CA, near chico. I hope to arrive by 12 but just know i cannot wait to meet up! This will be my 1st meet upā€¦ may i request/order 20 postcards? How do i reimburse? Thank you for organizing! Katy

1 Like

Hello! This sounds so good and will be my first meet up! What should I prepare for this? And if I can, I want 10 of the meet up postcards. Thank you for organizing!

• Lilian
1 Like

Looking forward to the meet up. Nervous and excited. :love_letter:

I would like to purchase some meetup cards. How to I reserve some @kimakoi ? Thanks!

1 Like

Sounds like there will be a lot of first-timers at this meetup! Great! So here is what to expect and how to prepare:

What to bring:

• a good pen! something that will not smear easily. You will be mostly making a tiny signature or symbol on a bunch of other peopleā€™s cards, so, not a big fat Sharpie. Donā€™t panic if you forget your pen - we will have extras on hand!
  • a lot of Postcrossers have a small custom rubber stamp that they like to use for meetup cards. the key word here is ā€œsmallā€ and also, if you do bring a rubber stamp and ink pad, make sure to choose a quick-drying ink that is not prone to smearing. Once you sign or stamp your card, it quickly moves on to another person.
  • bring some of your extra postcards to add to the ā€œshare pile.ā€ This is a pile of postcards that you are welcome to take from. Everyone has extras, and this is a fun way to get rid of some while picking up some unexpected ones!
  • you donā€™t have to bring snacks to share, but, who doesnā€™t love snacks? If you do choose to bring something, maybe make a small notecard noting potential allergens, etc.

What to expect:

• Most of the meetup is spent signing meetup cards and chatting with other Postcrossers. If you have social anxiety or are an introvert (like me) then the best strategy is to be a helper and have a ā€œjobā€ to do. What are some helper jobs? Things like organizing ā€œfullā€ postcards into little piles and making sure that they get back to the right person!
  • How will you get your cards back / recognize them? Before signing your cards and sending them around the table(s), make sure to put your initials or your name in the corner so that we can know whose they are! Some people bring tiny stickers so that they can easily recognize their own cards.
  • You can have any postcards signed/stamped by the group - it doesnā€™t have to only be the official meetup card, but of course, half the fun is the meetup card.
  • If you pre-ordered or reserved official meetup cards, they will be ready for you. Preferred payment method is Venmo, but I will be able to process credit/debit cards on site and will have some cash/change. We will plan to order some extras in case people want more on the day of the event.
  • You can arrive late or leave early - this is a totally casual event!
  • I am planning to have a raffle for some postal-related prizes. There is no cost for this.
  • Iā€™m not sure how the room will be organized but there are big tables and will be chair
  • Honestly, I donā€™t know what else to expect, other than it will probably be pretty fun, even if you feel nervous ahead of time. :blush:
1 Like

Let me know if you need any help in setting up or something else. I can get there earlier. Thanks for setting this up.

1 Like

Thanks! Setup should be pretty easy, but the more people show up then the more help will probably be needed. Itā€™s basically like wrangling cats. :smile_cat:

Some people are asking, ā€œWhat is an official meetup postcard?ā€ Itā€™s a special postcard printed specifically for the meetup! I will attach a couple of examples of past meetup cards here. Some people love to receive them (and collect them) and some people donā€™t, because thereā€™s no room for a message.

3 Likes

Hello kimakoi,

Please reserve 20 meetup postcards for me. Looking forward to it!

Melissa

1 Like

Hope to attend and this will be my first in person meet-up! Will definitely bring food to share.
Thanks for explaining what to expect @kimakoi !

1 Like

We definitely need to take a group photo before the majority of folks start leaving.

3 Likes

Hi! Iā€™d love to attend. Not sure of my schedule yet so its tentativeā€¦ I will order 20 cards and if im unable to attend will arrange how to pick them up. THANKS for the invite!

1 Like

Iā€™m so excited! This will be my first meetup! And Iā€™ve been postcrossing for a year now.

And I would love 10 meetup postcards. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the invite @kimakoi ! Iā€™m in the same boat as @StephenB - would love to attend but not sure of my schedule yet.
May I also order 20 cards? will somehow arrange to pick them up if Iā€™m not able to attend (my brother lives in SF so Iā€™ll be in the city sooner or later)

1 Like

@sendwashi @StephenB I am (obviously) a postal nerd, so I can also mail postcards to people who reserved some but could not pick them up!

1 Like

Do I just reply here to request the number of meetup cards I want? 20 for me please :slightly_smiling_face: also I have done a lot of photography in sf and the bay area so if you need photos for the postcard image (this one or any future ones), let me know!

3 Likes

Yes, you can RSVP here with # of postcards requested. I made a spreadsheet that I am updating when people post. :nerd_face: And good to know re: your photos! :camera_flash: