7th graders from Dortmund looking for volunteer postcard recipients in Scotland / the UK

Hi there,

my name is Katharina Baum, and I am about to become a teacher of English. To do so, I have to pass one final exam with my 7th graders in February. Our English book suggests creating a brochure (or website) to persuade people from other countries to visit our hometown (Dortmund, North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany).

Since I would like to motivate everyone sitting in this class, I don’t really like the idea to create a brochure no one will read or an (imaginary) website. Writing and sending a postcard to a real person and thus practise writing with a purpose will be fun and meaningful to my 7th graders.

Considering the unit’s/chapter’s geographical context, it would be absolutely incredible to gather 30 addresses from Scotland (or the UK). So, in case you are a Scotsman/Scotswoman or from the UK and interested in learning what is so special about the city of Dortmund, please comment below or PM me.

Thank you in advance for everyone who is willing to support me and to motivate young learners of English to improve their writing skills.
Best wishes,
Katharina

7 Likes

hi! id love to receive a postcard :~)

1 Like

I hope you will get many more replies, so your pupils will have enough people to send their mail to!

1 Like

I’m in Wales rather than Scotland, but happy to participate.

Would it be worthwhile posting in the British Isles section, to get to a wider audience?

2 Likes

Hi, I’m in Scotland with 2 children. We would be very happy to participate

1 Like

I would very much be up for this, but I’ve already visited Dortmund so I don’t need convincing.

3 Likes

Hi Katharine, I’m happy to participate. But in the UK :uk: not Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Curious, why do you have a preference for Scottish participants?

1 Like

This could be because of the stories in the school materials. My english book was based all around Radcliffe, with stories of kids everyday life.

1 Like

Hi there,

thanks to all of you for your support and also your interest in my project.

Finding postcard recipients from Scotland would for sure “win the day”. In this very special lesson it’s all about coherence and ways of justifying what I planned. So yes, Peppermintpatty78 is right: the school material somehow sets the stage and since the school material is all about Scotland, writing to someone in Scotland would be absolutely brilliant. However, I could still justify writing to someone from the UK … :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re still in need of recipients, I’m in the UK and would be happy to take part :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here… I’m in the UK (England) and would be happy to participate. PM me if you still need people. I love Scotland (especially the Western Isles)

1 Like

Hi MissBaum

Very happy to help. Please PM me.

1 Like

Hi I have direct messaged you! :smiley:

1 Like

Dear all,

thanks a lot for your support! My 7th graders wrote a first draft and I will probably be able to send the postcards by the beginning of March.

All the best,
Katharina

1 Like

Hi,

I’m new to this and missed the beginning of this, but I’m happy to help if you still need anyone else. I’m part Scottish and part English living in England.

It may be important for you to realise Scotland is part of the UK

Hi tesc, maybe my explanation wasn’t precise enough.
I primarily looked for people willing to participate from Scotland. This is due to my project being a school project and the school material circling all around Scotland in particular. Of course you’re right and since Scotland is part of the UK, it was also okay to gather addresses from people from Wales, England and Northern Ireland. I was ablte to legitimise it for my exam paper. :slightly_smiling_face:

Asking for Scotland is fine it was just multiple comments implied Scotland was not part of the UK and we wouldn’t want the children getting the wrong idea. Good luck

Postcards are on their way! Hopefully all of them will arrive.
Thanks to all of you who participated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you still need more to send to? I can send ya my address if needed! :blush: