59 Parks - Mystery Card?

I have the 59 Parks Box Set …with 62 US National Parks in it.

I wanted to collect the whole set via postcard exchanges and thought I had just managed to (because I had arranged swaps for all the NPs in the box I had bought).

List of cards in my box
  • Acadia
  • American Samoa
  • Arches
  • Badlands
  • Big Bend
  • Biscayne
  • Black Canyon of the Gunnison
  • Bryce Canyon
  • Canyonlands
  • Capitol Reef
  • Carlsbad
  • Channel Islands
  • Congaree
  • Crater Lake
  • Cuyahoga
  • Death Valley
  • Denali
  • Dry Tortugas
  • Everglades
  • Gates of the Arctic
  • Gateway Arch
  • Glacier
  • Glacier Bay
  • Grand Canyon
  • Grand Teton
  • Great Basin
  • Great Sand Dunes
  • Great Smoky Mountains
  • Guadalupe
  • Haleakala
  • Hawaii Volcanoes
  • Hot Springs
  • Indiana Dunes
  • Isle Royale
  • Joshua Tree
  • Katmai
  • Kenai Fjords
  • Kings Canyon
  • Kobuk Valley
  • Lake Clark
  • Lassen Volcanic
  • Mammoth Cave
  • Mesa Verde
  • Mount Rainer
  • North Cascades
  • Olympic
  • Pinnacles
  • Petrified Forest
  • Redwood
  • Rocky Mountain
  • Saguaro
  • Sequoia
  • Shenandoah
  • Theodore Roosevelt
  • Virgin Islands
  • Voyageurs
  • White Sands
  • Wind Cave
  • Wrangell-St Elias
  • Yellowstone
  • Yosemite
  • Zion

However… this wonderful card appeared on the postcard wall on Postcrossing yesterday:

…so apparently I haven’t collected them all :joy:

But… where has this card come from and where can I get it? Are there others I don’t know about? I have googled ‘new river gorge 59 parks national park postcard’ to no avail and also looked to see if the company sell another postcard box but they don’t. Did the sender perhaps print it themselves? :thinking:

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery card? :national_park:

3 Likes

That card is in the 59 parks box set featuring 63 parks. It is one of the single cards.

1 Like

@Skittykitty I didn’t realise there were different types of boxes!

1 Like

I don’t think there are different boxes. I think the sellers just forgot to include this card in some of their boxes. I saw a review that stated the same thing, that the reviewer was missing this card. And I’ve ordered this set twice: The first time I was missing this New River Gorge card and didn’t even know it. They gave me 2 Acadia cards instead. The second box had this card in there and only 1 Acadia card. It’s a bit disappointing that they are inconsistent with what they put in their boxes, but the cards in this set are otherwise great.

2 Likes

The box I have says featuring 63 parks. Does your box say 62 parks?

Ah yes, my box says 62 parks on the front. I’ve just had a look around and the boxes look identical, the only difference is the number in the circle at the top which is probably why I never noticed. I must have an older box.

2 Likes

I think our IN Dunes is the newest US park…it was a Natl Lakeshore before. Maybe your box is missing this? Ive been planning to go up to the store and get new cards

Indiana Dunes was in my box as one of the 62. I would assume its also on the version with 63 Parks (as it looks like New River Gorge was just added) :blush:

I believe New River Gorge is the newest U.S. national park, it was just recently made a national park so probably your box was current when you purchased it but they’ve added national parks to the box since.

Your best bet to obtain it without buying a whole new box is to see if you can find someone who lives nearby or is traveling there and may be able to pick up a single card in the park store/gift shop. I live near Cuyahoga Valley and while I cannot buy single cards online from 59 parks, Lantern Press, Anderson Design Group etc. I can buy them at the park shop.

4 Likes

New River Gorge is a very new national park. I don’t think it’s that they forgot to add it to the first box, they’ve just added additional parks as they’ve been made national parks.

3 Likes

I think it also depends on where you order your box from. I ordered my original box from Amazon and it came damaged and looked like it had been previously opened. There were cards that I knew should be there, missing. Interestingly, Gorge was there, though I may have swapped it already :slightly_frowning_face: (sorry Georgia). I can check in the morning when I have my box.

1 Like

You’re correct. I just checked the first box and it does say 62 parks, I suppose New River Gorge wasn’t supposed to be in that box. I don’t have the 2nd box with me, but when I do I’ll check to see if it says 63 parks. I’m curious now when it was added, though, given I bought the 1st box earlier this year, and the 2nd box just a few weeks ago…both from the same vendor in Amazon.

2 Likes

It was added as a national park in 2020, though not sure how long it may have taken for them to add the postcard to the box. Perhaps the vendor was trying to get rid of old stock.

2 Likes

@Appaloosa05 It’s good to know they can be bought individually because I’ve only ever seen the box sets. I had also considered whether boxes (especially those sold over here) were bought in bulk and now they’re still selling the 62 Park version to get rid of them.

@xxiiangel I’d be interested to know that too! I bought my box either late 2021/early 2022. The publishing date was Apr 2021, so I assume they’ve published the 63 box set more recently than that but I can’t find a publishing date for the 63 Parks version anywhere.

@beatriceh Don’t worry at all, I appreciate the thought though :blush: That’s so bad that it arrived damaged and with cards missing! I think you’re right about where you buy it from though. I bought mine from an online bookstore that is still advertising the 62 Parks box so I reckon it’s due to their stock.

2 Likes

I did check and I don’t have it, unfortunately. If I ever come across it I’ll let you know @geo_ !

1 Like