29 January 2022 - Birmingham meetup

Itā€™s my first meetup too, even though Iā€™m organising it! I think it would be a good idea to bring some addresses, if there are people you particularly want to send postcards to. It would be nice to send them from Birmingham. I will be bringing a heap load of postcards that I have made for this meetup, so I think we should all sign loads of these, or stamp, or put a mark. Then we can each take some of these away to send out via postcrossing in future months. I occasionally receive such a postcard via postcrossing from someone who has drawn my address. If people would like to, we can exchange addresses with each other, and send each other postcards. If you would like to do this, please bring a selection with you. You wonā€™t need loads - it looks like there are going to be less than ten of us. If anyone else would like to add ideas to the discussion, please feel free!

3 Likes

I graduated from Birmingham Poly in ā€˜92 and left the city in 2003. I now live in Tokyo and would love to swap a signed Tokyo meet up card with someone.

2 Likes

That all sounds great, and thanks for so much organising!
Iā€™m coming from Leeds so Iā€™m thinking that I can send some cards with views of Leeds once I get back home, if people are interested :grinning:

2 Likes

Just so you can all find me, Iā€™ll be wearing mustard jeans and a pink striped t shirt. Looking forward to meeting everyone! X

3 Likes

Hi, I would love to do a swap. Could you send your postal address to my private message box please?

Hi everyone, I got here earlyā€¦ sitting right at the backā€¦stripy pink t shirt

2 Likes

I had such a lovely time :blush: Thank you @spirit_walker for organising it, it was really nice to meet up in person! I hope Iā€™ll see everyone again at another meet up soon :smiley:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just got home, after a lovely day. It was great to meet everyone and thanks @spirit_walker for organising us! It was great to visit the library too x

3 Likes

Thank you @spirit_walker for organising a great meetup. It was so good to meet everyone in person :grinning:. I hope that you all enjoyed the rest of the day/evening visits too. Looking forward to meeting you again at another meetup in the future :hugs:

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who came along. I had a great time. Hope to meet you guys again xx

1 Like

Hello everyone, Iā€™ve just read the news about Royal Mail adding barcodes to definitive (plain) stamps, you might have seen it too.

I was thinking about our conversations on Saturday about buying and using old series of special issue stamps, and wondering how this might be affected by the change.

It says they will continue to issue special stamps which wonā€™t be barcoded. I guess that means that you can continue to use old editions of special stamps after Jan 2023 as well, but itā€™s a bit unclear. Maybe over the coming months it will become clearer.

Meanwhile, use up your old definitives over the next year!

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/barcoded-stamps

2 Likes

@Championwonder

Thanks for the link and info to the Transition to Barcoded Stamps info. I had read about it in the news today, but it is good that you shared the link to the Royal Mail page about it.

I wonder what you all discussed about it on the MeetUp in Brum.

Sounds like the MeetUp was fun.

If by chance, anyone or @spirit_walker could upload an image of what your MeetUp card looked like, that would be fun to see.

Smiles, Seaview

2 Likes

@Championwonder That was my first thought too! I saw this post in the British Isles part of the forum which hopefully clears things up a bit.

As for the meetup card @seaview, it looked like this :smiley:

3 Likes

@geo_ thanks for the postcard image. Looks beautiful the Lib with the old architecture.

I am visiting Brum this month, but did not realise there was a MeetUp in Jan 2022. I can not wait to see the library with my own eyes.

As for the stamps, thanks for explaining it further.
I brought loads of 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, Ā£1 stamps from Stampex. I like the colours and making it a colour pattern. Seems like I better send them all this year. Countdown begins. Thanks for the heads up.

Smiles, Seaview

ps. I will be doing a lot more postcards like this. I need bigger postcards to send.

2 Likes

Well @seaview, if you do go to Birmingham Library they sell postcards on the ground floor, including extra large postcards of the libraryā€™s roof garden!
Itā€™s well worth a visit, beautiful inside and out with fantastic views

1 Like

Thanks @Championwonder for the tip!

I am excited already with this bonus info, to know they sell postcards there too.

Smiles, Seaview

1 Like

Many thanks to Julian (mapcardcollector) and everyone who signed the super meeting card. The buildings looks most striking! Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll see you at a meeting later this year, hopefully in Londonā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for great card :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

If you arrange another meet up, I would be interested as I live in Birmingham

1 Like

Thanks @NatM @geo_ @gettingblue and @spirit_walker for your cards, Iā€™ve really enjoyed receiving them!

2 Likes