Your postcard in reality

And another postcard place from today’s travels.

It’s by Alyona Dergilyova. Postcards and wall calenders of her paintings can be bought in all major online bookshops here. I really like her style and the way she sees Moscow. It looks cozy and real and her subject is usually old streets with local people just going on their business.

21 Likes

I bought this postcard in the most northerly shop in Ireland. It’s a little bric-a-brac shop and you can see the owner in its doorway. He is a very friendly and chatty guy, and has a great sense of humour. The shop is located near Malin Head which is the most northerly point of mainland Ireland, it’s renowned for its dramatic landscape and very popular among tourists. So the owner likes to tell about famous people that have visited his shop on their way to Malin Head. :blush:

It looks pretty much the same in reality.

And a few photos of Malin Head. They filmed some scenes for the Star Wars here by the way.

26 Likes

Thank you for your amazing post. That is exactly how I hoped people would bring their postcards into reality! :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I think it’s a great idea! Would be also great to compare some retro cards and same places nowadays.

Is it still possible to find these cards somewhere, you think? They are absolutely fantastic! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I found them! Send me your address and I will mail them to you as a present :smile: I would love too. I wish they had other packs, there were three of them, but it’s a miracle they were published at all. I understand there’s some issue with the publishing rights.

2 Likes

Fanad lighthouse is situated in the Fanad Head area of the county Donegal.

• It was first lit on 17 March 1817.
  • In December 1916 it was struck by lightning.
  • And the last lighthouse keeper retired in 1983.

Nowadays it’s completely automated, visitors can have a guided tour inside it or even stay at the former lighthouse keeper’s cottage for a night.

A few photos that I took in 2019.

And if someone’s curious to have a look

inside the lighthouse

27 Likes

I love your photos from inside the lighthouse @brighteyes! makes it seem both cosy and mysterious.

3 Likes

I’ve been hunting for postcards to “realize” since I saw this topic, and I came across a great site with pictures of 800+ old cards from my town.
I’m making it part of my “corona-boredom-walking-missions” to re-shoot some of the photos as accurately as possible.
Here’s one that I did yesterday. I’m really familiar with the area, so I was thrilled to find the card.
A fun thing to notice is the column of bricked-up windows. They were white in 1906, but have now been painted with black rectangles and are much harder to spot.

I’m working on a way to show these “updated” postcards, and have come up with this prototype that lets you “morph” between the two time periods: https://mettetron.shinyapps.io/AarhusThroughTime/

28 Likes

Wow, you’ve done great work! It’s like diving through time. Looks amazing! :+1:

3 Likes

Hello,can I swap post cards with you? I from Australia, I will message you
Regards
Emma

If you want to swap postcards, please have a look here: #trades-requests-offers:postcards :slight_smile:

Sure

I like this idea–pretty cool idea!

14 Likes

postcard with our city center from 2001

and photo of today

7 Likes

They built a church? :eyes: It’s a beautiful view!

@Waxwingshadow there are 3 churches build nearby, but only 2 are visible from that side. Also several houses were partialy re-built, and of course trees grew up and in summer-autumn they hide the city town hall (museum) and all the churches from that angle, and now in winter it is noticeable that houses from the other side of Zapadnaya Dvina river are hidden by the buildings on this side of the river.

2 Likes

Cheboksary is a beautiful city, but postcards publishers don’t make enough postcards with its views. Moreover, the existed postcards usually don’t have names of the depicted objects, which disappoints me as a non-local. So once I decided to find the places from the postcards and I managed with some. I tried to take photos like this one, but most of the photos are bad, I don’t want to show them, I’d rather try again (when it’s warmer).
Let me show you this pharmacy. When I bought such postcards, I thought it was just an interesting building. It turned out that the first pharmacy in Cheboksary opened in this building, and it is still a pharmacy.

17 Likes

In 2018, I went on a vacation in England and came across this nice town, Dunster (Somerset). On the picture you can see the Dunster Yarn Market and Castle in the background.
Dunster was an important market place in the Middle Ages particularly following the construction of Dunster Castle and the establishment of the Priory Church of St George.
The Yarn Market was built in the early 17th century. It is an octagonal building constructed around a central pier. The tiled roof provides shelter from the rain.

I think the picture on the postcard is from around the end of the 19th century, but I’m not sure. I’ve sent the postcard already.

29 Likes

Here’s one from Mechelen, in Belgium.
On the pictures you can see the Market square and St. Rumbold’s Cathedral (Dutch: Sint-Romboutskathedraal).

15 Likes

And while I’m busy… Here’s Sint-Michiels in Gent (used to be my hometown). This is a great topic!

26 Likes