Your greatest cards that never made it

I sent this card within Germany. I had two copies and sent the second copy after 100 days passed. The recipient is an active user and replied to my personal message telling me the card hadn’t arrived. Now after 221 days neither of the cards got through. What a pity!

Today I sent a different card and hope that one will arrive after all .

29 Likes

wow! strange to lose two identical cards in a row within Germany! Maybe this specific image contains a genie and escapes as soon as it can? Or the shinyness attracts magpies who steal the card and hides it their nests?

anyway. you are a hero for sending replacement cards.

19 Likes

No. I’m not heroic at all. I just don’t want a card within my own country with an active recipient to be deleted from the system after a year. But that is my last try. If the card now doesn’t arrive, I might tell the admins - don’t know yet.

5 Likes

Martha the wolf, a drawing made by my sister, got lost on her way to the Netherlands.

76 Likes

I wonder if for this pandemic year, that the year limit should be extended for possible late registrations - there’s been so much pressure & so many things that have disrupted our postal systems this year.

I don’t know how hard this would be to change in the system or how disruptive it would be, but maybe adding an additional 6 months might help.

8 Likes

Here is Paulo’s answer. I asked the same question.

7 Likes

This selfmade card has now been travelling for 268 days to Taiwan. It would definitely be sad if this card was lost.

grafik

47 Likes

To France - travelling 335 days

18 Likes

I once sent another copy of this card to Germany some years ago (2016? 2017?) and it never arrived. :crying_cat_face:

Also this firefighter from Oulu has been travelling 141 days to Russia. I wonder if the mature-ish theme is a reason it has not arrived yet?

13 Likes

I wouldn’t want that. The fact is that at some point, I do not know when this happens, but with a large number of expired postcards, the system blocks the user and does not allow him to write addresses anymore. I have a lot of addresses in the USA right now. A very large number of postcards that I sent there were lost. The USA continues to fall out very often. Almost after 1 address. If after a year the lost cards will not disappear from our lists and the number of expired cards will only increase the risk that the profile may be blocked will increase. I would not want my profile to be blocked, because it is not my fault that the postcards were never registered/received. Some users have not appeared on the site for several months

7 Likes

I would suspect that rule would not be applied so automatically this year or next given the pandemic - I’m sure there has been a huge increase in expired cards this year so far. I trust the folks running Postcrossing to take this into account.

2 Likes

Only this one so far - 112 days travel (USA-China) at the moment. It’s a great card as well, especially for a recipient who loves planes and also has a master’s degree in geology!

Hopefully it will eventually arrive and be a nice surprise.

29 Likes

There is no any single word in the Russian language.

This card is about the Vostok 6 spaceflight which carried the first woman into space. Her name is Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova. The text seems to be in Czech and reads something like “Long live the world’s first female astronaut”.

11 Likes

@Oo_Hawkwind_oO @SiLV Yes, the card itself is not Russian, but the astronaut is USSR’s Tereshkova. It was the nearest postcard theme I had to anything Russian. :blush:

4 Likes

This card got lost on it’s way to Germany. I hope some day it will arrive!

17 Likes

This one is just about to drop off the system. To Taiwan travelling 363 days.

I have - as of today - 52 expired cards. 10 cards are travelling over 300 days and some of these postcrossers haven’t been seen for months.

21 Likes

Oh wow! That is a lot! I hope, some day, all the postcards will find it’s way to the receiver!

1 Like

Well, mine isn’t a Postcrossing card, but for me the greatest one that never made it is a LotR card I sent to my friend from Matamata New Zealand. This friend of mine is a HUGE LotR fan (I’m a big fan too, but it’s nothing compared to her) and she asked me to send her a card from NZ when I was staying there for a couple of months. I wanted it to be more special so I bought a LotR maxicard and sent it from Matamata. It is the town where the Hobbiton scenes were shot and nowadays the set is rebuilt and people can visit it.
The sad thing is that the card never arrived to Norway. :pleading_face:

10 Likes

You are right : lost cards are frustrating. That’s why I take pictures of each card I send. I use office lens app for android because it takes 10sec to capture the exact shape of the card and upload it in cloud (for ex : onedrive).

1 Like