Your favourite postcards about artifact/ cultural heritage?

I’ll go first :blush:

This is a meet-up card from Xiamen, featuring gorgeous wine glasses from an western glassware exhibition, gold-plated and inlaid with ruby and sapphire. I’m so glad I received this postcard as I have the opportunity to see such a delicate work even though I didn’t go to the exhibition myself :relaxed:

6 Likes

I have so many, it’s hard to choose! In my profile (and sometimes in Tags and Round Robins) I include rock art, prehistoric stuff, native or aboriginal scenes and so on. I don’t get a lot of response, but when I do, it is really cherished! Here’s some of my top favorites:

Top one is a native tribe in Taiwan (and who knew - thought it was such an industrialized island!).

Middle one is a necklace from 3000 years ago in Germany (now in a museum).

Bottom is cave art from Lascaux cave in France, a painting made possibly 25000 years ago.

Amazing, right?

3 Likes

I really love the Postcard ( and stamp) issued in commemoration of the Anglo-Saxon Helmet dug up at the Sutton Hoo ship-burial , in Suffolk, in the UK in 1939. One of the most spectacular archaeological discoveries ever made, it dates from around 600 AD. It is my favourite object (now reconstructed) in The British Museum, just something amazing about it which has me in awe and also translates well to this postcard. There was originally a huge amount of engraved detail on the actual item. Another picture of it is also attached to see the complete artifact. It may have belonged to King Rædwald of EastAnglia but the jury is out.

5 Likes

Mine is a bit… different. It’s a zoological specimen, a large jar full of moles. It can be found in The Grant Museum of Zoology, London. They are ordinary European moles and there’s a good number of them. How many? At least 18. Why? We don’t know. It’s bizarre, it’s macabre and it’s also cute. Perhaps a family pack for a dissection class or a beloved collection of the finest moles?

2 Likes

When we were in London 3 years ago we went to the British Museum and really enjoyed seeing that helmet and the entire the Sutton Hoo exhibit! Thanks for reminding me of that.

Yes, it’s a fantastic set of exhibits and the whole story of the discovery was quite remarkable and the more so for being kept under wraps at the time. I mean how can you have an Anglo Saxon ship burial in the back garden without knowing what was under that odd-shaped hill ??? You can visit the site which is very atmospheric although “tidied up” by The National Trust. There’s also a Netflix movie " The Dig." based around the book of the story.
Regards D

Sutton Hoo | National Trust

1 Like