Your favorite pen to write postcards?

I did buy them but haven’t used them, I resorted to my normal 4 colour pen. :joy: The pens I ordered weren’t normal pens. I thought they were but they ended up being like felt pens so I’ll use them for colouring or something. :grin:

1 Like

I was quite surprised to note the considerable interest shown by fellow Postcrossers for their pens!
Bravo I say!
I have always thought that one’s handwriting is a window to the soul.
I am wondering ifg you feel the same?
For me my favourite medium for writng cards and letters is a
PILOT PARALLEL PEN - with a 1.5mm nib.
I use black ink cartridges.
Highly recommended.
All the best to fellow readers
Chris

7 Likes

I declare a new love for every postcard surface:

7 Likes

Sailor 1911S, extra fine nib.

1 Like

Sometimes I use a glass pen like the picture.

It looks old, but I’m surprised that it’s easier to write than expected.

In Japan, addicted in a hobby is called drowning in a “NUMA” (means swamp).

I’m about to fall into the grass pen NUMA.

14 Likes

Ooh I have tried these glass pen before and they are super nice!
But I am clumsy with ink so I don’t use them.

To answer the main topic
I use sharpies, micron, brush pens, muji pen, and regular ballpoint right now.

1 Like

I just bought 3 boxes of pens last week.
Flexstick 0.5mm (my fave pen in writing)
M&G Gel Pen 0.5mm
Fountain Pen 0.7mm and 0.1mm (still waiting for the ink)

Pilot G-Tec-C3 is also a good one.

2 Likes

I didn’t know Uniball Signo made a blue-black refill - thank you for this great tip, Mark. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Enjoyed reading this thread! :fountain_pen:

I use a Zebra Mildliner in grey or grey-blue to draw a band on which to write the postcard ID.

Then I use my favourite liquid gel ink rollerball, a Pentel Energel, in blue-black, to write the message. When I’m feeling cautious (!) I use the waterproof Energel.

But on glossier postcards I rely on a ballpoint. I tend to use this one by Faber-Castell, but the Schneider ballpoints are reliable and come in a useful range of colours.

3 Likes

I use distress glaze! I posted a photo or link in the fountain pen thread. :grin:

Sakura Micron 1, 2, 3, or 5.

I love colour, so I use a four colour pen. It’s just a normal biro type pen, nothing fancy but it is my favourite. I use all the colours on the cards I send.

As a teacher, I use my red fountain pen from Lamy. The ink is red too and the tip is actually a bit wider than usual to get that slightly calligraphic style. Only the address is written in black ink from a 4-colour bic. Fun trivia: mine has 4 blacks because I’ve changed the 3 other colours :grin:
I think I must keep in mind renegade_cavalcade’s tip (thank you for that) and look for that distress glaze. I haven’t had any complaints yet, but I’d rather be on the safe side.

Edit: Instead of distress glaze, I’ve tested both wax (from a simple white candle) and coconut oil (gently smeared). Both have proven to be excellently waterproof! I tried the coconut oil, because I think it resembled the distress micro glaze quite a lot.

3 Likes

I like them too and I use the orange barrel one a lot, which is slightly finer.

I recently discovered the Livework “point pens”, which have a fine nib, are very light and have colourful barrels. The ink is black.

Been using these pens for writing/studying/postcrossing.

Staedtler Pigment Liner 0.3
Zebra Sarasa Clip 0.5
Pentel Touch Fude Brush (for cursive letter)

1 Like

As an artist, I have a lot of pens that I’ve used on my postcards. I almost always carry a variety of Copic fineliners as well as a couple of fountain pens - a Lamy Safari with Roher & Klingner black Sketchink and a Pilot Falcon with black De Atramentis Document Ink. I like to work in watercolor, so all my pens are waterproof.

I’ve only ever had an issue with receiving one postcard that had the inks totally dissolve away - but then again it did get caught up in a tropical depression between here on the Mississippi coast and western Lousiana. About the only thing I could read was the signature and address. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use Staples Icebreaker ballpoint pens and recently image Papermate Inkjoy Black image

1 Like

My principle is that there should always be so many pens at home that they can never get lost all at once. Cheap, simple and a lot.

1 Like

Carbon ink or archival ink