World Postcard Day 2021! šŸŽ‰

I think weā€™re perhaps overestimating peopleā€™s willingness to go through the trouble of printing a postcardā€¦ :sweat_smile: Did anyone receive an avalanche of postcards with the same design last year, in postcards with Postcard IDs?

5 Likes

Last year I received not one, and I so wanted to !!! :sob:
Luckily later last year someone offered the card as a direct swap. :balloon:

I now added the wish for a commemorative postcard in celebration of World Postcard Day on my profile !
Fingers crossed I will receive at least one with the official design ! :crossed_fingers:t2::four_leaf_clover:

8 Likes

I received one through the official site and one through the forum last year.

And Iā€™ve sent around a dozen as officials. Professionally printed by a printing company on proper postcard stock, with a glossy front and non-sealed backside!

This year, I will do the same with the official design, but also send alternative cards designed by a German company to recipients in Asia.

@anon7793644: Great idea to add something about the day and commemorative cards to the profile :+1:

2 Likes

Hi so as far as Iā€™m aware, and correct me if Iā€™m wrong, butā€¦ In order to keep the badge I earnt last year I need to participate again this year, yes? I donā€™t like this idea, as a former Scout, if I earnt a badge I got to keep it for life! I know some training you have to repeat in order to stay up to date, but this is something for doing an event, which I did last year and want to keep the badge to show that I did it in 2020. So can I keep the badge? maybe add the year 20200 to it or for this year the badge should be blue or another colour and same for each year? maybe if I did WPD five years in a row I get a special badge? What do you think?

Thanks

6 Likes

We havenā€™t yet decided how the World Postcard Day badge will be implemented this year ā€” but itā€™s either a new badge, or maybe a little number on the current badge to show how many years theyā€™ve participated. So no need to stress too much about it! Youā€™ll still have your current badge, even if you donā€™t send some postcards this year. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

When printing the card, is it necessary to print the design on the back of the card as well? (Due to copyright issues etc.) For me, the printing outline at vistaprint cuts off the edges of the cardā€™s design, which is kind of alright on the front of the card, but on the back, everything is then decentred and cut off. (I hope this is understandable, I donā€™t know how to describe it well!)

1 Like

Hi @Ezri ! Iā€™m afraid the backside should be the one providedā€¦ Can you give it a try with the PDF version that is here? It has a margin around the design, which you might be able to crop on Vistaprint to make things fit. If it still doesnā€™t work, let me know ā€” weā€™ll see what we can do.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile: With the CMYK-PDF version, itā€™s working!

3 Likes

Last years design is still being sent by members, they must have a large stock of them.

I still have some left from last year. :blush:

1 Like

I also used the CMYK PDF version since the quality and resolution was much better. With Vistaprint also. And it worked seamlessly :ok_hand:

7 Likes

First of all I would like to thank the team for all your work and for making it possible to print out this years winner. I am glad to announce I received my ordered postcards and I could not resist in sending out the first three postcards. :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe it is because the Statue of Liberty was somehow a French gift.

Wikipedia says: " The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La LibertƩ Ʃclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor within New York City, in the United States. The copper statue, a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States, was designed by French sculptor FrƩdƩric Auguste Bartholdi and its metal framework was built by Gustave Eiffel. The statue was dedicated on October 28, 1886."

2 Likes

Last year I think I received three or so - so not that many. I also received an older one. :slight_smile: And to be honest - I donā€™t mind duplicates because the personal note is more important to me. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

So please write that on your profile but be aware itā€™s up to the sender what kind of card one sends. As long as itā€™s a postcard the rules are fulfilled.

I received the last year WPD postcard three times. But itā€™s from different people, so there are different backsides, different texts and thatā€™s totally fine for me :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I received one WPD-design last card, but it wasnā€™t the official one, (but I wasnā€™t very actice at that time, in total I got five cards sent on 1st October.)

I ordered a small amount from the official design and another design, just enough for my needs, and looking forward to the event :smiley: :postcard: :writing_hand:

2 Likes

Where did you order them from? I see you are also in Germany and Iā€˜ve never done it before. I only joined last month :relaxed:

Very likely it was the one from Papersisters.

They also have WPD stickers. :grin:

2 Likes

Negative sent instructions are killing Postcrossing. Most people leaving give this as a reason.

I have never had negative sent instructions and find out Iā€™m allergic for those.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer.

Well, so expect to get yourself one of these cards as it doesnā€™t really help putting your account on inactive (as long as itā€™s only for a few weeks). A lot of people had tons of these cards last year and some of them still have a few in stock.

(I myself have no problem if someone notes on their profile that they do not want to receive this card. I can send something else too. But Iā€™m not going to start making a list of forum members who say here on the forum that they do not want to receive this card. Itā€™s a hobby. A hobby to spread joy and not a full time 9-to-5-job.)

6 Likes