Why so few Postcrossers use Forum and how to increase its popularity?

Thanks for giving so many great suggestions from a professional perspective. I do hope that the admin team tries some of these. Adding some links here and there shouldn’t be very hard :grin:

2 Likes

I am not sure if your post was meant for this thread?

5 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to push the forum by advertising that you’re able to send more cards there. At least without giving a major warning that you’re completely on your own in the forum, none of your actions are protected.

Of course it’s the same right now and we are all responsible for our own actions especially in the forum and with private swaps (e.g. who we give our address to etc.), but at the moment everybody who finds their way to the forum, tags and RRs informs themselves well about the risks- or at least I hope so.
With a direct link from the main page to tags etc. it might seem that the forum games are part of official Postcrossing, and people might think that it’s perfectly fine just giving out their address randomly, maybe won’t think about having to follow up themselves, keeping lists themselves, there’s a chance that your tag/swap partner won’t send you something in return while in official postcrossing you’ll always receive a card for each sent one, etc.

Isn’t it also a liability issue? In general I think it would be great if the forum had more exposure, but I’m not sure if there should be such direct advertising for the chance to send more cards on the main page, at least without a major disclaimer :thinking:

1 Like

There’s far more to the forum than the chance to send/receive more postcards. In fact, apart from participating in lotteries where the prize really interests me, I have no interest at all in round robins, tags etc. And I never have been interested.

For me, the forum is interesting because it’s a place to chat with others on subjects that interest us. I do agree that it would be wonderful to have more forum members. But in advertising, in whatever way, for new forum members, I think we should emphasize the many different aspects of the forum.

11 Likes

‘Run out of slots…’ why not just increase the number of slots faster instead of directing frustrated users / people to a different environment that doesn’t list/hold card images in any formal way ?

3 Likes

Because increasing the number of slots does not take anybody to the forum. And this thread is about taking people to the forum!

2 Likes

I’m new to post crossing and I’ve been hesitant because I don’t understand the rules and the forum format isn’t very intuitive for me (basically reddit is the only forum format I’ve ever been active on.) I think if PC did more introductory/education about the forum during account creation, forum would see more activity for hesitant users.

2 Likes

The comment I replied to fave the Forum as a solution to insufficient slots to be advertised. Its not the answer-its very different.

I read the comment you replied to. It was about how to increase the number of forum users, while you wrote about increasing the number of slots. So your posting is imho off topic, while the posting which you repied to was on topic.

'Run out of slots… etc ’ I’m quoting again as you appear to be misleading people. Maybe its translation :thinking: .

I mislead nobody, but you keep going off topit.
I am out now, for continuing this discussion is pointless.

1 Like

Postcrossing has very clear rules: no more cards until your cards are received, that seems fair to me. Let’s say I’m a scammer, and I can send 100 postcards. I’ll just click as if I sent them, but I won’t send anything, I’ll be just waiting for them to expire. And in the meantime, I’ll get 100 cards from other users.

That’s why postcrossing have these limits, and they are well established. Forum, however, gives an opportunity to participate in RR and tags. So, you can send more cards while waiting for your official ones to arrive.

Or you can just have a nice chat with other users.

1 Like

Why always the exaggeration? 2 years in 330 plus cards successfully sent and received yet still on 15 travelling cards. To get to a hundred would take a decade…thats some diligent scammer. As I said Forum is good BUT it is very different.

1 Like

I think most postcrossing look at the forum as a place to get help than to link to a community.

1 Like

I didn’t manage to explain well, I meant if the limits were non-existent, like anyone could send a hundred cards at once for example. As an answer to the question about why not to raise the limits. Obviously, doesn’t have to be a hundred, but still.
The limits might also have something to do with the inner system. Maybe if users are allowed to send more cards, then at some point there would be no addresses available.

Do you only prefer to send official cards? I saw a RR which is called big 50. I think you can send about 30 cards there at once.

Unless your sent card is registered into the system, your address will not release into the address pool.

No card is registered = no postcard coming to your address

There is no way you can cheat or scam other out from the Postcrossing system.

Expired postcard mean releasing the slot to send a new postcard. You have an open slot to request for a new address to send your next postcard.

There is no free postcards in Postcrossing.

3 Likes

Well also, i don’t know if anyone suggested that, but therr is something we can do ourselves without administration. When you receive a new official card, just write in the registering message something related to the forum.
Could be that you will publish the card in “received today”, or in “favourite stamps” topic, or just whatever that can be interesting to check if the person is not a forum member yet.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea. I have written on my profile that I’m a forum member. Not that that is likely to tantalise anyone, but you never know.

5 Likes

Not sure if it’s a new feature, but there was an invitation to the forum at the end of a Hurray email I got today. Don’t think I saw it before

3 Likes

I didnt start until a few months ago as well. For me it is because the word forum is not very enticing. It sounds too professional/complicated/not a community vibe/just somewhere people go to read FAQs or something.

4 Likes