When is a postmark applied? (UK)

This is from another topic in the British Isles section of the forum r.e. postmarks but is also relevant here:

I am not an expert, can try to answer these questions based on my knowledge!

Do I put the postcards in an envelope addressed to the relevant centre, with each one also stamped and addressed to it’s ongoing destination?
Yes, exactly this! Not sure if there is a limit on the number you can send in one envelope though… @Maddymail I don’t know if you can help?

Do I post them on the date I want the postmark to be, or do I need to factor in travel times?
The postmarks are usually valid for a window of time, except permanent postmarks, but you can check this in the Royal Mail hand stamp bulletin here. Looks like you might have already read this though :slightly_smiling_face:

Is the code for the relevant postmark part of the address or must it be written on the postcard itself?
Write the code clearly on a piece of paper and put it in the envelope with the cards. I’d also write the code clearly on the back of the envelope, just in case!
Update: Just copying and pasting this straight from the bulletin: To ensure prompt handling please mark the outer cover ‘Special Handstamp’ and state clearly the serial number(s) of the handstamp(s) required.

2 Likes