What's your writing desk like?

Here is my writing desk where all the magic happens! It’s my favorite place in my house

60 Likes

I like the Golden Syrup can you use for your pens (and all the other details one can explore in your photo). :slight_smile:
The paper scraps I use for my collages… well, I guess that’s one of the many Postcrossing influences which make me do strange things and changes my behaviour here and there… I use to pick up paper snippets wherever I find them, as long as they seem to be interesting to me (in one holiday I forced my partner to guard the surroundings while I was fishing wonderful paper tickets out of a public waste bin - but don’t tell anybody! :shushing_face: This is what Postcrossing makes of honest people).
For my job I sometimes come to a paper mill and there’s a loading track for unloading freight wagons with used paper. A lot of this paper is falling down during the unloading process and some of the stuff is blowing into the nearby grassland where one just has to pick it up and make postcards from it. :grin: You’re absolutely right, this snippet is Danish. Some of the wagons come from Herning, Aalborg and Koge. It’s a fantastic source and magic world for collage material and besides this I’m cleaning the landscape from paper stuff.
About two months ago I took a pile of these collected paper snippets and made a small book of the more interesting and strange things…

And here’s the postcard I made from the Danish port terminal label and other stuff:

25 Likes

That book is wonderful! you really have an eye for it!
Do you know the website foundmagazine.com? it showcases found paper things from all over the world. More narrative and less graphical than your things, but really cool none the less.

And I totally identify with your “treasure hunting”. I collect bits and bobs I find on the street all the time, and my boyfriend thinks I’m crazy. I don’t have your skill in finding interesting paper bits though, so this is most of my very small paper collection:

I find many more 3D objects, but since I don’t really have any use for them (such as making postcards) I limit myself to the things that can fit in this box; my little museum of lost things.

23 Likes

This is so great @metlodyt . Sorting the colours… :hugs: Limiting to the boxe’s size is a good idea, it prevents from spamming the whole living room.
And the small paper collection is nice - I like minimalism and all of your paper snippets stand for themselves. I also do like putting just one single snippet onto a blank cardboard as one can focus on its very own characteristics then.

The Found Magazine. Damn. You have no idea what you’re provoking. :flushed:

I suppose I’m abusing this honourable topic for my paper madness. Sorry for that. Back to our writing desks then… :wink:

1 Like

My postcard basket (contains my pencil basket) where I keep postcards, stamps, stickers.

My writing space on the kitchen table. Notebook to keep track of everything, clear box with labels, computer (new forum shown) photo box for postcards in progress.

Craft area on the actual desk with lots more creative supplies including stickers, stationery paper, washi tapes, and a cat :cat2:

18 Likes

That is some impressive organizing! I really like the clear box you use for your labels. And yay for the first desk cat in this topic :smile_cat:

3 Likes

@metlodyt thank you! It’s an organized disaster. LOL. Everyone should have a desk cat; that one isn’t even mine (it’s my mother-in-law’s). :joy:

4 Likes

Here is where all the magic happens: postcard and letter writing, photo editing, drawing, etc.

Not pictured: the cat who is often sitting on the top shelf on top of my scanner, and the cat that often sits on one of the two cloth boxes to the left of the desk.

21 Likes

Haha~We have the same table lamp!

lol. IKEA rules supreme :sweden: :couch_and_lamp:

This is my writing table and I always clean up it after my cat has a good time…

38 Likes

I really like your desk with built-in shelves @saintursula!
…and is that dancing bears on your pencil case?

yaay! more desk cats! so cute!
Could we get a better look at that van Gogh-inspired picture you have on the wall @Han-1995?
And i really like the fabric pattern, but doesn’t it get annoying to have a desk tablecloth?

1 Like

Thank you! I am happy with the desk, it’s a new purchase (in a new apartment)!

And yes, those are dancing bears. I bought it a while back at a cute little shop in Belgium.

1 Like

I found my 100 years old fir tree writing desk at a flea market and I love it!

65 Likes

um… It is a big mess. It is also my art desk and computer desk…

2 Likes

#nofilter

My “standard postcards to send” box on the left, stamps, stickers and pens all around and incoming/outgoing cards on top.
Yes, it might be time to master the chaos, again …

25 Likes

Not only it is interesting to see everyone’s desks, it’s also interesting to see how some organizes their unsent/blank postcards. I assumed most has a box and filing system… I’m seeing here ziplock bags are popular as well! I also wonder what everyone’s filing ‘categories’ are. Some of my categories will only make sense to me. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I have postcard boxes and books separately on a shelf across the room. In my box on the left, postcards are loosely organized by topics: view cards of my city, state, country. Foreign view cards or generic views. Then topics: animals, maps, recipes, Unesco.

1 Like

My categories are super random… Some make sense, but they aren’t necessarily similar in size or scope. Like, here are my bags: Mississippi, southern United States, rest of United States, meetup, Brian Moss art, causes, Papersisters, ADG, nature, food, inspirational, cats/animals, and a large bag with all the miscellaneous that don’t fit those categories!

2 Likes