What's the most you'd pay for a postcard?

For my “normal” standard touristic cards the limit is one Euro. But in the hot spots you can find them in a range from 50cents to 1,50. So observing the shops first is important. The Most expensive cards were some of tin and wood. But until now I have not send one of them :upside_down_face:

Here in Japan only the very touristy postcards are around 100-120 yen (60-75 cents USD). But I’ve found that most of the nicer cards that I like are at least double that, often somewhere between 200-400 yen (popular Gotochi cards are only 189 yen but cost a lot more to send due to the special envelope and extra postage). I try to stay under 300 yen ($1.90) per card if I can. That said, I’ve spent between 500-1000 yen on cards that I have sent on Postcrossing, either through the official swap, forum swaps, or given away on lotteries (wooden cards, 3D/lenticular cards, etc). I don’t do it often, but it’s nice to do on occasion, especially for people who really love those kinds of cards. So overall cards in Japan seem to be more expensive than in other places, but the postage here is very cheap compared to other countries ($0.62 for regular international postcards) so I suppose it works out overall.

That’s another consideration as well. International postage here has gotten more and more expensive since i started; to the point that if i had not acquired literal lbs of stamps from a job years ago, I’d probably consider stopping or otherwise limiting my correspondence output.

I do wish there were a cheaper postcard rate here for postcards as opposed to regular mail.

I almost feel like it to be a waste when with the same stamps i could be sending an envelop le with a 5 page letter, 2 postcards and random paper stuff as opposed to a single cardstock rectangle.

It’s also why i really don’t mind when people mail stuff from a different country in order to save on stamps.

2 Likes

Not really, but I bought a huge box with lovely but inexpensive postcards, so they are in the same box. :smile: I can usually tell which cards were more expensive, because the nicer the paper and the brighter the colours, they are often more expensive.

Yesterday I was browsing a gift shop at Library Square, the central public library in downtown Vancouver, and saw an illustrated postcard. I picked it up and saw that it was $3. I put it down and considered other alternate designs.

I was downtown in order to have the postcards I sent out stamped with a special cancellation mark available at the downtown post office only. Fortunately I was able to combine that trip with other reasons to travel to downtown Vancouver.
Paying for a postcard is more than just money, it’s also time too.

If more people are going to participate in postcard writing, the barriers for entry should be made low. If it is too difficult or expensive to purchase stamps and postcards, then less people are going to participate.