What was your best postcrossing experience?

@RalfH Thank you for the response. You live and learn. I will do better next round and continue to improve as I get the hang of it all.

2 Likes

Perhaps the addressees will upload the pictures if you ask them. The sender can do so until the cards are registered by the addressees.

2 Likes

Youā€™re in no way obligated to upload images, as either the sender or receiver, and thereā€™s no reason to feel bad that you didnā€™t.

10 Likes

You are right and I should have emphazised that. On the other hand it might be a pity if you look at your virtual wall of send postcards in some years and cannot see their images there. I have read many times, that people regret, that they have not uploaded their first cards and that is why I mentioned this point.

7 Likes

I indeed regret that I did not upload the cards in my first two years! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Very true! I apologize if my message seemed rude. I donā€™t generally upload my images but I do often find Iā€™m curious which card arrived when I get a hurray message!

4 Likes

I do not regard your posting as rude! Not at all! But you opened my eyes and made me see that my posting could be seen as if someone would be oblieged to upload pictures. So I am thankful for your correction.

2 Likes

@reiselustig thanks for sharing your personal experience. Why do you regret not uploading the cards you sent in your early years? Is it because you want a complete history on your wall? Did you send cards in those initial years that related to how you were feeling so it somewhat served as a diary? Just wondering. It seems that you know what you want out of the Postcrossing experience. I donā€™t have a real objective yet other than to meet new people and expand my cultural awareness. I would like to learn some tips on doing this well. Thanks.

2 Likes

I will answer in a PM becaus eotherwise it is too much off topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a lovely topic! I just started with postcrossing this month and I already received two postcards. I like them both, but the first one was extra special. I am a primary school teacher and they sent me a postcard with a picture of a schoolclass from 1943 with a lovely fact about their schoollunches. Loved it. :heart:

13 Likes

The first postcard I received was from a mum and her daughter: they put The Simpsons stickers on the envelope, sent me a Minnie Mouse postcard plus a tiny Milka chocolate and a teabag of delicious tea. I had written on my profile that I liked all of that, so they took the time to carefully pick everything. Iā€™ll never forget it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I sent them a thank you postcard in return, and they appreciated it very much.
Iā€™ve also met great penpals through Postcrossing and I love that we all share this beautiful hobby. People always get surprised to know that I exchange postcards and letters. They ask me, ā€˜Do people still do that? How do you mail them? How did you get into this?ā€™.

24 Likes

my best postcrossing experience was receiving a suprise gift from my first direct swap , i was so full of joy inside , it was a wall thermometer and i never took it down my wall till now , in my country temperatures donā€™t fluctuate so much so when my classmates visit be asking me what is the thermometer for and i jazz them the story behind it .

13 Likes

My first extra-special experience was thanks to a Postcrossing member in Japan who thoughtfully sent me an envelope containing a gotochi (regional postcard), a nengajo or New Yearā€™s card (I love these but rarely get to see them), and some stamps that featured Basho, my favourite Japanese poet!

Another time, an American Postcrosser kindly sent me a tea-themed postcard (my profile mentions my love of tea) AND a sample of a type of tea that, only half an hour earlier in my local grocery store, I had admired, then left behind after deciding I didnā€™t want to gamble on buying a full box of it without having tasted it. So that was an amazing, and fun, coincidence. (The tea was STASH Pomegranate Raspberry and it was very good!) Since then, every so often someone generously sends me a bag or two of tea with their card. Itā€™s always a lovely surprise and an enormous pleasure: when I drink the tea, I feel like Iā€™m enjoying it with a friend.

Yet another time, a highly talented Postcrosser from China sent me a gorgeous art card on the back of which she had sketched her own delicate artwork. That one just blew me away, it was so beautiful. And, of course, unique!

This is not even to mention the many friendly, engaging messages that have captivated me irrespective of what was on the front of the card :slight_smile:

Honestly, itā€™s impossible to pick out a single supreme example of a good Postcrossing experience. There have been so many, and Iā€™m sure there are several that arenā€™t even coming to mind at the moment. So. Very. Many!!!

18 Likes

I offered this lottery for people working in healthcare since I had got some Covid related cards and stamps. https://community.postcrossing.com/t/closed-appreciation-for-health-care-professionals-5-cards/261357/13.

One of the winners, a nurse from Munich, sent me a picture with her colleagues while holding the card. They all seemed so happy and grateful for receiving the appreciation card, for all the troubles that they faced in the last two years.

I donā€™t think I will ever forget that picture and happiness on their face.

20 Likes

I have a lot of amazing experiences thanks to Postcrossing.

I remember one : I sent a postcard in Germany. It represented the recipe of ā€œLa tartifletteā€. I received a Hurray message from a woman saying that the dish seemed delicious but that she couldā€™nt cook it because she couldnā€™t find the cheese ā€œreblochonā€. Some days later, the same woman wrote me a private message in order to tell me that she had found reblochon, cooked the dish and loved it ! It made my day !!

23 Likes

Cosquillas reminded me another lovely story. I sent a (free ad) postcard to a tram and train lover fond of cross-stitching. She embroidered the pattern :heart_eyes:

39 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what happend to me.

After 35 years Iā€™ve found the woman (at that time also a young girl) who taught me ice skating as a young girl. Our parents met every now and then, but we children lost touch. And we live only 5 km apart. :smirk:
The joy was great when we found out who was the lady behind the profiles and we met immediately the next day.

26 Likes

Such nice stories and testimonials in this topic! :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

Wow how amazing this story is!

1 Like

Mine was becoming friends with Eileen (gran10)ā€¦we exchanged cards, letters and gifts for many years. I followed her fun vacation adventures and looked forward to one day seeing her in person. Sadly she had other things to do and left postcrossingā€¦Ive lost contact with her, but still think of her often!

7 Likes