What type of postcards do you send out?

Signed up today and have a question before I submit my name to exchange post cards. What type of post cards do you send out? One from your hometown?

2 Likes

Signed up today and have a question before I submit my name to exchange post cards. What type of post cards do you send out? One from your hometown?

1 Like

I send out lots of different cards, I have plenty of themes available.

When I first started I had like a handful of view cards from my hometown and a few animal postcards. After a while, when I decided I really like this hobby I slowly built up a stash with various themes.

11 Likes

I have tons of anime and art related postcards and like 20% of other themes. For the really picky people, i send away a card from my city or an animal. People that are cool with anything get an art postcard :>

3 Likes

Okay thank you so much. I live in an area that gets lots of tourists, so finding posts card of my area won’t be an issue. :smile:

1 Like

Is there an area where I’m supposed to put my preferences on what I want to receive? Sorry for the questions. Guess I need to go the beginning of the site and read some more. Just wanted to get the facts before I commit to sending cards.

You can write a bit about your preferences in the “about you” section

1 Like

First of all, welcome! :smile:

You can send any cards you want, provided that they are not offensive. From typical touristic postcards to specific themes (art, animals, illustrations, etc) in the website. Sometimes people write their preferences, but it’s okei if you can’t match them - just send a nice card you have. :slightly_smiling_face:

We have lots of games (tags, round robins) here in the forum for specific themes, so in that case that is what you should send if you decide to take part in them. But some other games are more about the message (ex: The Last Movie I’ve seen) and so you can apply the same principle as the website paragraph.

I hope this helped. And I wish lots of fun! :blush:

4 Likes

…while noting that what’s offensive to one person may be eagerly received by another… :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Yes, good point. :slight_smile:

I try to match the information given by the person in their profile, but occasionally that’s not possible with what I have. I tend to buy a variety of cards from my city, but I am lucky in that we have buildings, castles, countryside, art, and maps and recipes fairly easily available.
You can buy sets of postcards from places like Amazon as well, if you want.
Some people’s profiles are very specific, especially if they are postcard collectors, but it’s s not essential to find a perfect match!
I love the profiles that give me an idea of what people would like me to say as it helps me to feel that I am communicating with real person.

2 Likes

I send out printed photos of my dog.

6 Likes

Hi @JulieHa, when I joined two(?) years ago, and requested my first addresses, I eagerly rushed out to the local post office and bought two ‘tourist’ view cards. When they arrived at their destination and I got to my next two cards to send, one of the recipients actually said ‘no tourist multi-view’ cards if possible please. That’s when I realized that some people have preferences, and that I would probably need to buy cards elsewhere. So now I ‘bulk’ buy cards, both tourist and other such as art cards and ones I pick up in museums and gift shops with a number of motifs, so I have a choice of cards at home so I can hopefully send things that people will like. This does however not mean that I always fulfil all requests those should just be taken as clues to of what people prefer to receive.

4 Likes

Basically, if you have single view / illurstration / food / buildings / meetup / people / art / cat / dog / wild animals / plane / ships / trains / cars / flowers … you can easily satisfy 98% postcrossers.

9 Likes

Confirmed: I am “cool with anything” and I do love art postcards. :joy:

Also:

@RainWang, this is an excellent summary, and yes–I am the 98% who would enjoy any of these.

@JustJett, those are some lucky recipients who get a custom-printed picture of a cute pup. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

My favorite part of Postcrossing is picking the cards I send based on the recipient’s profile. I have been Postcrossing for over 10 years and have amassed a huge number (several thousands) of blank cards waiting to be sent. I have just about every topic you can imagine and haven’t come across a profile that has stumped me in quite a while.

However, that’s my style and is certainly not required in Postcrossing. You are free to send any postcards on the official site, and touristic cards showing your country are the most commonly requested cards in my experience.

Welcome to Postcrossing!

6 Likes

Welcome to Postcrossing! I send out mostly postcards of places. About a year ago, I bid on and won a lot of 5 books of postcards of Wyoming. When the package arrived, the seller had sent 56 books! I contacted him and he said he just wanted to get them out of his house. As a result, I tend to send a lot of Wyoming cards.

4 Likes

I send randomly type, before send i always check their profile look their like and choose in my card stock but i didn’t have i will choose a nice ones

Happy postcrossing

1 Like

Most of the time i try to choose something that matches the recipients tastes. So i have a small variety of cards i bought to pick from usually touristic views either multiviews or single views, animals, nature landscapes…
Thought about making my own postcards with the photography i do as well (mostly animals) but i need to find a place where to print them on decent quality paper at a decent cost :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m same to you… Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone

[image]