What should I do when someone may have received my card already, but they seem to register their cards in bulk?

Once I put the card in the outgoing mailbox, my attitude is “Go with God”. If it makes it to its destination, great. If it doesn’t, well, life happens. Honestly, I’ve never even thought of or noticed if people don’t register promptly. There are any number of reasons cards don’t make it at all or beyond expected average or median transit times. But most cards do make it sooner or later. There’s nothing we can do otherwise after mailing.

But before mailing, there are things you can do to make what happens to some of your cards matter less.

Now, Mattie07, you’re fairly new to Postcrossing so here’s a secret that isn’t shouted from the rooftops that you may already know about, but if not, here it is. Maintain your Max Allowed Traveling religiously (as soon as one of your cards IS received or expires and a slot opens up to allow you to Send another one, do it!). That’s the key to overcoming the losses, delays of all kinds, slow-to countries, etc… Request an address, write it out, and get it mailed right away (same day, if possible).

The other thing you can do, which comes from experience, is reduce the chances for error.

Print labels for the addresses, if possible. If you do choose to write them, use indelible ballpoint pens, not fountain pens or sharpies and anything wet like that that can run or smear (I get cards like that all the time (smeared)). Do write the Postcard ID twice on the left of the card away from the address side.

For mail to the USA, go to USPS.com and look up the full Zip Code (the American postal code) of 9-digits (it is usually faster than the minimum 5-digit Zip Code for physical addresses, but not necessarily for PO Boxes). Also for postcards to the USA, don’t write anything along the bottom edge 3/8 of an inch or about 0.9 cm because the USPS sprays bar codes there and can obscure text and/or address info.

As your Max Allowed Traveling goes up, things get better. Trust me. Now that I’m at 20 Allowed Traveling, delays and expirations don’t matter anymore.

Happy Postcrossing!

8 Likes