What postcards have you been unable to find?

I joined Postcrossing in August 2022 and I’ve been steadily building up my inventory of cards to send.

Over time, I realized that some postcards are difficult to find or so rare that, when I do find them, the price is exhorbitant. For example, Blue Cats are hard to find in Canada and need to be ordered from international online sites, which may or may not ship to my country. Or if they do, technical glitches prevent the order.

What cards have you been searching for but can’t seem to find?

5 Likes

Actually, I never tried to find a specific type of postcards… I buy what I have the opportunity to buy :blush:

9 Likes

I can’t find pretty much all of the commonly collected cards - Blue Cats, Alexey Dolotov, Edition Tausendschön, Jetoy, all those different artists’ cat cards, even FotW. I know I can get them online but shipping from overseas is often so expensive here thanks to exchange rates. I often scour my local online marketplaces for anyone who has these hard-to-find cards; I’ve had quite a bit of luck buying them off people in my area who happen to have good-as-new extras they want to sell!

8 Likes

I’ve been wanting to find Eric Carle’s “The very hungry caterpillar” cards, as they are the first book I’ve ever read and own as a child, they have a special place in my heart. In fact, it is the only card I’m looking for, hopefully I can find it one day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I always tended to send general-type postcards; either views or certain topics. That being so, I am able to find most of what I am looking for.

3 Likes

I went looking for Inkognito cards in the US and ended up finding a shop in Europe that was willing to send some over.

The acorn elf cards from Czech Republic also - could not find them in the US but did manage to trade for a few of them with a Postcrosser in Prague.

as i don’t buy online but only on shops there’s a lot of postcards i’m unable to find :rofl: for this reason when i read a profile i usually skip lists of series, but sometimes i stumble in some of them, given by someone at a meetup and i send them

2 Likes

I am not able to find ANYTHING except ordinary touristic postcards in shops. Not even non-view cards of ANY type. So, I had to start buying online. That is more expensive, and sometimes packages got lost in travel. But OK, I consider that as part of postcrossing. I love to have variety of postcards to send to other people.

6 Likes

Author of acorn elves sells them on zazzle (link) as well so you can order them in US. I have bought some, they are a bit smaller size than the original ones sold in Czechia

3 Likes

Hello, we have similar thread as below

cc: @Bille

1 Like

Believe it or not, it’s hard to find good postcards of New York. All the tourist shops seem to sell the same cards, most with very unimaginative pictures of the usual sites.

4 Likes

Postcards of my city Rajkot, or my state Gujarat,
There are so many nice historical and cultural aspects to cover on Postcards but these Postcards are not even existing sadly:(
Hope to see more cards showing my local places)

1 Like

Anything that is from overseas. I don’t have a bank account and I saw that postcards costs 20% to be imported, and I’ll have to drive to the airport to pay that tax :sweat_smile: Jeez this alone makes it cheaper to mail two upscale cards here for just one overseas blankcard.

Touristy viewcards of Peninsular Malaysia not produced by Yacine, Shashin or Purple Postcards too! These few companies monopolized the viewcard market here. We have no choice but to buy only whatever they offer, which is probably recycled photos from god knows how long ago. Absolutely no effort in designing their cards too, it is sickening. I had asked a friend from Sabah state to purchase viewcards from there and it is much better.

3 Likes

Decent tourist cards of my own city!! People don’t really travel here to visit. I tend to buy my cards from more touristy cities nearby. I would really like to be able to send tourist cards though of my actual city.

4 Likes

Graveyards.

Every so often I come across a profile requesting postcards of graveyards and cemeteries, but I’ve never seen anywhere selling postcards of graveyards.

8 Likes

agree with the graveyards, I also have never seen these postcards for sale

Which is the reason I needed to buy
https://www.amazon.de/Eric-Carle-100-Postcards/dp/0141360259/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=eric+carle+100+postcards&qid=1674162484&sprefix=eric+carle+po%2Caps%2C657&sr=8-2

(not all are caterpillar cards, but … I love them and actually didn’t come across that many kids profiles anymore since I have them and the 2 Pixar boxes…)

2 Likes

I’m finding a lot of profiles requesting fantasy… ok I find the odd dragon but what counts as fantasy ?

1 Like

Where do you guys find map and train cards at a reasonable price? I like those but have not found any in my local area.

I buy single cards from the museum but there is also a 100 card box set

https://shop.carlemuseum.org/category/cards-stickers/postcards/eric-carle-postcards

1 Like