What is your favorite postcard box?

I agree with @AnjuschkaC , that woodblock one is a fabulous box set. Very tempting! :star_struck: (Bonus points thatā€™s itā€™s from somewhere in Wisconsin, I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve never been before!)

1 Like

It was/is just as good as I had hoped. Quality packaging, a poster, a set of photo cards and 6 art cards printed with the actual wood blocks. Right now it just sits in my card box, itā€™s going to be a while before I actually post oneā€¦

9 Likes

Some boxes are better than others. The Sibley birds all look the same and paper is thin. I like the Long May You Wave (nice mix of objects with US flags on them) but I really like this Natural History Museum set of just 60 cardsā€¦old illustrations of animals, fish, insects, birds etc. Good quality paper too

8 Likes

I got these Eric Carle cards years ago and love sending them to kidsā€¦am down to my last few and should order more!

2 Likes

Ive only gotten two big boxes but theyre the puffin ones i bought before I knew they were mostly duds (imo) and the women of science ones. I like postcard boxes for the price but I feel like people that share those interests tend to get a lot of those cards and it can get annoying for those people, so i tend to refrain from sending them >:

Of all the postcard box sets listed so far in this thread, I would be fine with postcards from any of these except for the Women in Science ones. The reason being Iā€™m already a scientist and it feels like people are playing to a stereotype sending me these and I feel itā€™s patronizing. I think they are best sent to students who could be inspired by them or people who are non-scientists who would like to learn more about science. The only exception is if they sent me a Women in Science postcard AND wrote a story how a scientist directly impacted their lives. But so far, that hasnā€™t happened. People just send it to me hoping that I ā€œlikeā€ it.

2 Likes

Interesting, for me itā€™s the opposite. Iā€™m a woman and a scientist (wellā€¦ In training, but you get the idea) as well, and I find it empowering to get them, as I know many women arenā€™t credited for their scientific successes. Itā€™s so interesting how different people see this. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I love :

Postcards from Penguin Modern Classics, One Hundred Writers in One Box

It is rather difficult to find Black and White photography postcards here in Japan, so I bought this boxset for people who specifically request B & W. Three Japanese writers are featured, I keep them for myself.

I recently bought This Is My Bookstore boxset out of curiosity. As for Japanese bookstores, I thought they would only feature Tokyo ones, but in this boxset there was a very cool Osaka one so I was quite surprised. There are many book lovers on Postcrossing, so I thought this boxset would be good to have too.

But my most favourite boxset would be this Japanese one:

The Best Selection 100 cats by Mitsuaki Iwago

About 3900 yen but all cards are so unique and really great. He is a very famous Japanese photograher. I actually have 7 boxes of this set to send to my postcard pals and on Postcrossing ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What a great topic. I canā€™t belive I have not found this before.

I have many postcard boxes. What goes always well is anything animal or flower themed. I already put the ā€œWild animals of the worldā€ on my wishlist. Those look great.

I have the New Yorker and Vougue for many years now. I can never really decide who to send them two unless someone asks for them specifically or in case of Vouge for pretty women or something fashion related.

I have one with Comics ā€œThe Art of Classic Comicsā€ and send those to people who ask for comic cards.
The Harry Potter one is very popular as well. Women of Science I bought twice by accided haha but it does not matter. I send them out quite regulary. Often when people work in science but donā€™t have any particular wishes. Then I find a woman with a profession as the recipeant or something close. Usually I get very enthusiastic Hurray Messages.
I have the New York Botanical Gardens 100 Botanical postcards set which also seems to be well liked. The World of Peter Rabbit is also great.

I also have the ā€œThe Art of Disney, the Golden Ageā€. I personally do not like most of the cards but if anyone askes for Disney at least I have something to send.
Does anyone have experience with the other Disney Boxes? Are they of similar quality and type?

4 Likes

Yes, all those come with those rough sketches / concept art drawings not everybody is fond of :wink:

1 Like

My latest postcard box purchase (interested in trades if anyone is willing - Iā€™m new here!)

8 Likes

Oooooooooo,coming out next year! I own the Women in Science set. Not sure that Iā€™ll buy this one, but canā€™t wait to see some of the cards

18 Likes

Nice choice, Iā€™ve been thinking of picking those up, too :smiling_face:

I recently ordered the Ukiyoe (Japanese woodblock printings) box set. Cannot wait !

edited to add
now i have this box set. while i am pleased of all cards in this set, at the same time i thought it would have been better if this box set was made in Japan. . . .

1 Like

This set looks awesome.Iā€™m fan of woman in Science series and I will add them to my wishlistšŸ¤©

1 Like

ā€¦ Anybody know list of bookstores and countries in This Is My Bookstore: 100 Postcards of Beautiful Shops around the World?

This thread is dangerous! DANGEROUS!!!
So many great postcard boxes Iā€™d like to buy!

Luckily I already have the ā€œWild Animals of the Worldā€, the ā€œSalt Fat Acid Heatā€ and the ā€œWomen in Scienceā€ boxes.
Oh, and Kati Scottā€™s ā€œBotanicumā€ and ā€œAnimaliumā€. And the ā€œPlanetariumā€ from the same ā€œWelcome to the Museumā€-series too. I donā€™t think that anyone mentioned that one yet.

And I just saw that there is an ā€œAnatomicumā€ too. I HAVE to have that one!

12 Likes

I should not have clicked on this topic.
I have a lot of postcards.
I do not need any more postcards.
:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

But now I have to buy that box of Eric Carle.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar was the very first book that my children loved. I can still recite it word for word and my youngest is 10 years old now :heart:

8 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the next box set I want too. The pictures are so appealing. And Iā€™ve never read the book. My children had grown up when the book came out.

1 Like

I love, love, love the 59 Parks boxed set called ā€œNational Parks Postcardsā€

25 Likes