What is the most wanted postcard from the USA?

@Torchwood3

I live in northern Indiana, just a few miles from Michigan.
We’ve taken a number of vacations up and down the west coast during the past number of years.

I’ve found postcards in some Visitor’s Centers (for example St. Joseph (which has/had free ad type cool postcards, also the Woolworth store downtown; Traverse City. Many of these towns receive lots of visitors, and have postcards in their store.

What Covid has done to tourism along the coast, I have no idea.

If you live in the SE, you can order postcards from Penrod Hiawatha when they open in the spring and drive there to
pick up your order. My friend and I have done this. They are kind and obliging.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! I didnt think of looking in the visitors centers, that’s a great idea! Thank you so much.

And that sounds like a lovely drive :evergreen_tree: :tulip:

1 Like

I love tourist cards and maps, so I’d be easily sorted with cards from all over Florida.
But as you can see, postcrossers like a variety of different subjects.
You will build up a stash of different cards for different requirements.
Such fun!

2 Likes

I know it’s random, but check out thrift stores! I’ve found some good postcards at random ones.
Also, Hallmark stores, but sometimes you have to ask the cashier. One had a stack under the register.

2 Likes

I would like, if that’s possible at all, something about Amish, Hutterites ect. And Coral Castle.
And landscapes, and city views, and town and willage views.

2 Likes

Maxicards aren’t available anymore unless you happen to score some old ones on ebay. But, the USA stopped selling maxi’s many years ago.

1 Like

My wholesale source for modern postcards, Modern Postcard Sales, is located in Elkhart, Indiana. I have purchased thousands of postcards from him over the years, most recently (January) a terrific lot of 1000 cards.

2 Likes

When I am assigned a postcard, I check the wall of the recipient to see what they “favourite”, with the goal to try to find something that fits the visual patterns of their favourites.
So … perhaps try reviewing “favourites” on the walls of Postcrossers, to see patterns of preferences. For instance, I notice a lot of people like loupaper or lighthouses.

3 Likes

I have found some of the most popular postcard topics have been Maps and Lighthouses. I have some trading stock on both.

If you are interested in some FREE postcards from me, check out this link:

1 Like

I know. My home town. Dave is not on the internet.
I buy from him.

D

2 Likes

Back when I lived in the states, I saw a number of requests for “Route 66” cards, in addition to classics like light houses and trains.

1 Like

Check out truck stops if you’re in the USA. most have tourists cards for the area they serve.

2 Likes

There is a CVS and a Cracker Barrel near me and neither one sells postcards. My daughter actually found vintage ones at an antique store and bought me several but not everyone would like them, I actually live about an hour from Tallahassee but do not go often. Museums, some parks sell them but I am in a rural area so I order mine online.

And there was discussion last year or so about moving the capital to Orlando, thank God they did not!

Although that’s fairly recent.

Lighthouses, Amish, space, Greetings from (both state and postallove) or the plain old viewcard served me well over the years.

sadly neither the CVS or Cracker Barrel in my town have cards

I just won a box of Greeting from the various states (the old USPS stamp design) on ebay for super cheap! $5 for the cards and $4 for shipping; works out to about 20 cents per card

I do pretty well with the Interstate truck stops in Ohio and Indiana

You can get postcards from the state park office as well

According to me, Loupaper postcards are really really famous from the USA! I collect them so I totally understand why they are so famous!

1 Like

Just read their profile, most people will tell you what kind of cards they will like the most