What does my mail delivery person think about all of my postcards?

The postman of my area is very exited to know that from which country did this postcard came.

Our regional post office is now even selling mini sheets. They were not in there when I started Postcrossing. In fact, there were only definitive stamps. So I requested about commemorative stamps everytime I go there and all my incoming and most of my outgoing postcards (which has beautiful stamps) are sorted at there, so I can’t help thinking that I made some influence over them to sell better stamps.

32 Likes

I was brought up to always be careful what I wrote on postcards (never write anything really private) because, by their very nature, anyone, including the postie, could read them.

6 Likes

My regular postwomen i explain i’m doing postcrossing , and sometimes she does a rubber band around my post ’ it’s easier put the cards in my mailbox , when it’s a newbie she thinks that we a lot of friends on holiday

4 Likes

Since I moved here last year we had two different postmen, and both of them after a few weeks asked me why I received so many postcards, so I was happy to explain Postcrossing to them. Both of them told me they were surprised because they don’t get to deliver many postcards nowadays.
I must add that our current postman probably now thinks I’m the only person who receives postcards in my neighbourhood, because from time to time I find postcards not addressed to me in my mailbox :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’m always happy to go and deliver them myself - after all, when I was a child I wanted to be either an astronaut or a postwoman, so I’m living the dream :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

17 Likes

Where I live…it’s illegal for a mail carrier to open or even read our mail.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s really cool topic to discuss. Actually the postman who delivers my mails know very well about Postcrossing.

On last World Postcard Day, I have handed over a special Postcard featuring World’s Highest Post Office - Hikkim Post Office with a very special Postage Stamp featuring Postman as Covid Warrior. The joy of Postman was at the highest. It was not less than a certificate of appreciation for her.

24 Likes

I always wonder, because they must find it very odd, especially if they see the postcrossing ID or read that many people introduce themselves on the postcard (I’d totally read them if I was a postal worker btw, I’d be curious! Though maybe I wouldn’t have time or would stop caring very soon when the novelty wears off ;)).

I always live in apartments so I don’t know who delivers my mail. Also if I’m working from the office I wouldn’t be home when they deliver. Once, years ago, I bumped into the postman on a Saturday and I tried to make conversation to see if I could ask about this, but he was just quickly putting mail in boxes and didn’t seem too interested. Which is fair, he’s a guy doing his job and I’m there trying to chat and distract him. I was impressed how efficiently and quickly he was putting the mail in 60+ boxes in the apartment block, so I also realised how speed is important, like anyone else they don’t want to be stuck all day! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A number of postal workers have said on the Forum that delivering all those postcards got them curious & got them to join Postcrossing!

6 Likes

I’ve wondered the same thing, so thank you, @Mattie07, for the topic! :heart:

I haven’t spoken to our new mail carrier yet, but I can watch him (creepily? :sweat_smile:) through our doorbell camera when he delivers/retrieves the mail. When I leave outgoing cards for him, I like to see his reaction. Even if carriers are expected not to read the cards, it makes me so happy to see him flip my cards around a few times as he walks away to the next house.

(Your secret is safe with me, Mr. Postman. :kissing_heart:)

15 Likes

i’m a bit jealous of everyone who just randomly bumps into their mail carrier, because one of the mail carriers here is very cute. i only know who they are because i see them at work :sweat_smile:
so i have no idea what they think of all my cards, but i do think they know because i get some mail from other people quite often. like i’m the house that gets all the fun mail.

12 Likes

I once asked the postman what he thinks. he told me that I should watch my work and not think about it at all. I don’t care if I post a letter or a card. If you think too much about individual fates in this job, you usually get depressed.

3 Likes

Here the mailmen / -women change very often (to say a number, we had 7 different mail carriers in the past six months).

Two of them I’ve only seen from distance so far.
To three others there’s no need to talk as they never answer (really, even if you ask them something importing relating to your mail, you hear only “mmhm” or “fpsflt” or such strange things :sweat_smile: …) and it’s obviously that they don’t like their job a lot.

The other two are fantastic. Both showed a big interest and asked me about all the postcards. The young lady who comes at the moment also asked for the website of Postcrossing for her sister who likes writing cards and letters a lot. Maybe soon there’s a new member :smiley:

7 Likes

My route doesn’t have a regular carrier. I think a lot of times it’s staffed by fill-ins who do it after their own regular route. Delivery time during the day varies wildly, maybe 9am one day and 5:30pm the next day. I doubt any of them care what they’re putting in my mailbox.

2 Likes

I have no idea what she thinks, she’s too quick for me to go out and ask her. But she comes earlier and earlier each day, so I hope she’ll be our delivery person forever!

2 Likes

My box is in a bank of boxes, and I open mine with a key. A postcard vendor sent me a “Thank you Postal Carrier” sticker. I have stuck the sticker just inside my mailbox, next to my name. So far, the sticker has not been removed. Most days we have the same carrier and she is very good, yet very busy and hurried. She waves and I wave back. I get the impression that she would likely like to visit if she had a minute, but these days the world seems to operate at the speed of light…

3 Likes

I see my postman most days because I’m still working from home. He asked why me and my daughter started getting so many postcards. I explained about postcrossing and him and his wife are now postcrossing as well. We chat a few times a week about who has had what cards from where.

11 Likes

If I remember correctly, @Nique and @cremebrulee are mail carriers and like postcrossing.
I usually do not see the mail carriers here, for I am at work when they come.

3 Likes

I wrote about my anecdotes with my mail carriers in this thread.

Still funny to remember when the postwoman told me I had this hobby because I have a weird name :rofl:

2 Likes

Lately my posties change quite often, and usually I am at work when the post is delivered. So don’t normally get to speak to any of my posties.

Earlier this year, just as I became active on the postcrossing forum with Tags and Round-Robins, plus I was due a number of offical postcards.

It was pouring with rain and the van turns up, the postie delivered a parcel, a rubber banded bundle of postcards and a few letters, prior to doing the rounds in the area. Never seen a postie smile so much. :blush:

I’ve had one negative experience, and it was at the post office. I posted out a few parcels and as an after thought, asked the clerk to cancel the stamps on a few postcards, but proceeded to read my postcards before reluctantly checking and handstamping the stamps before posting.

5 Likes

i was just heading out to go to the mailbox with all my cards as the mail carrier was in my street. not the cute one but the very kind one. she said oohh so you are kyra. she thought i might’ve traveled a lot so i told her about postcrossing, she was very excited. and she took the cards from me so now i’m inside again with my pyjama pants :grin: usually here the mail carriers don’t take the mail that needs to go out, so that’s very nice. unless she’s planning on reading all my weird and random messages :sweat_smile:

well that’s a bit strange. i don’t mind if people are curious and read or look a bit, but like that is unnecessary.

6 Likes