What do your family & friends think about Postcrossing?

My boyfriend always makes (friendly) jokes… like we’re going to need a bigger house or an annex :sweat_smile: But he always waits when I want to look for cards and also buys cards for me on business trips :blush: My daughter always says I’m crazy, but she’s a postcrosser too! But she is sending very few cards only.

The rest of my family and friends get me cards from their travels, too. But they don’t want to join. One colleague even wanted to send me a card from a business trip to Somalia, but there was no working post service available neither were cards sold anywhere.

3 Likes

Boyfriends (when I had some…) were supportive. They were sometimes taking postcards to the mailbox while on their way to work.

Now I am single and I live in a house right next to my parents, so now they help me with mailing postcards too :smiley: They don’t mind our address being sent to strangers, as I’ve always had penpals from all over the world writing to me. But they do worry for my bank account! Stamps for an international letter or postcards are 1,40 € and I send a lot of these :neutral_face: But they are always happy to look at my received postcards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Initially (at the very beginning), my friends were kind of skeptical - some were like “Wouldn’t you rather have a penpal than just receive cards by some random people and never have contact with them again?”. But many of my friends and family have always been fond of sending postcards and over the years, my mum, brother and one of my friends have joined Postcrossing as well :slightly_smiling_face: My mum has even sent more postcards than me by now, although she started half a year after me.

4 Likes

My family thinks it’s great. My husband also supports me and thinks it’s great that I’ve found a hobby that I enjoy so much. He always likes to look at the postcards I get and watches me when I write them.
It’s different with my friends. They tend to understand less and also can’t understand why I enjoy it. That’s why I never really tell you much about it. At my age (24), this is unnecessary money for most people. “Everything can be done over the Internet” is always the answer.

2 Likes

Yes I think my family just accept it - it’s not like I have many hobbies. My teenage kids are not quite as interested as I had hoped, but my parents LOVE to look through my boxes of received card - my dad collects stamps so he’s interested in those too. My friends probably think I’m quite mad as it’s pretty expensive: £1.45 to post any postcard from UK.

3 Likes

because there’s a mailbox basically in front of where i work i take my cards to work quite a lot. my boss is very enthousiastic, he asks me everytime where my cards are going this time and he really shows interest, how everything works and stuff. my friends aren’t that excited about my cards so it’s nice to at least once in a while just yell ‘look how cute the card is i’m sending today’. my friends however do send me cards when they’re on holiday, if they think about it, so that’s very sweet. and when we go shopping together they enjoy picking out postcards with me.

oh and one time i went to a small shop and bought some cards and i don’t remember how we came to talk about it but i told the lady behind the counter that it’s for pc and she even wrote the website down. i haven’t been there in a while so i never got to ask if she got into postcrossing but i love encounters like that.

6 Likes

My family studies the postcards received with great interest, and my son helps me choose them for a new addressee when I get his address. My husband knows English better than me, he helps to translate the letters received, and my son has just started learning English - this is a great practice for him! In any case, this is a wonderful hobby, it seems to me that postcrossing cannot leave anyone completely indifferent!)

7 Likes

My mom said she wants to try it too. But she sadly doesn’t speak English. :frowning:

1 Like

My daughter introduced me to this hobby. Now I am hard core postcrosser and ranked 8th in India. Surprisingly my daughter just lost intrest after few weeks and her account is on hold. My wife feels irritated, as I give more priority to this hobby and keeps complaining, that I am spending so much on cards and stamps. When I tell about my hobby to friends or other relatives, they are surprised to know, such site exists, and wonder, how I can still write old fashioned cards instead of facebook,Twitter, etc etc.

Letter writing is an art and they feel amazed.

10 Likes

I completely stop texting family and friends and only wrote them postcards after about 3 weeks I started getting mail in return from them even though none of them are postcrossers.

10 Likes

My husband and kids are not interested, but will tolerate my talking about it occasionally. My husband buys me stamps when he goes to the post office for work. When I first mentioned it my kids were horrified that I was giving my address out on the internet to strangers. It had been drilled into them at school not to do that. I said I did not think someone from Germany or Russia or China was going to go to the effort of tracking me down personally. LOL

6 Likes

My husband thinks it’s a stress-relieving hobby of mine and encourages me to do it when I got too stressed at work :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Told them about my new hobby. They think I’m a weirdo! :woman_shrugging:

I’m their weirdo! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Told it to a friend and she is here now too

@NanaMaus1991 :grinning:

3 Likes

@anasoe, Perfect! Now he’ll be willing to give you more stamps and postcards! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@sforsally, welcome to Club Weirdo! :partying_face: :clinking_glasses:

@MaWe, welcome to you and @NanaMaus1991! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

My mum has always seen random mail for me since young, as I had penpals when I was young, so I guess she was accustomed to the idea of snail mail already. She asked me why I was getting so many postcards in our mailbox, so I told her about my Postcrossing hobby. She actually has fun looking at the postcards I receive (just the design - I told her not to read the content :joy:). She sometimes helps me to mail out my postcards on her way to grocery shopping too, so she will likewise look at the designs of the postcards I send out. She helps me get stamps at times too.

My dad isn’t aware - he would most probably say it is a waste of money, so I don’t talk about it to him.

My partner knows I do Postcrossing because I will always share about my postcards very enthusiastically to my partner. I show my partner the nicer designs for stamps and postcards too, and while my partner thinks it’s nice and cool, it is not my partner’s cup of tea.

I have a group chat with some friends for Postcrossing too. It started when one of my friend added me into this group chat, and then I got to know the rest of them slowly as we shared our favourite postcards and stamps, or go ‘wow’ when we pick a rarely-drawn country. The friend who added me into the group chat - she was an intern at a company I previously worked at. One day I was walking past her laptop and I saw that her screen was at the page where it said “Hurray! Your postcard arrived…”. :laughing:

I don’t really talk about it to other friends, because they think it’s an ‘old’ hobby and it is something that doesn’t interest them. If I briefly talk about it, they will just be like “oh cool”, and move on, so I seldom bother talking to them about Postcrossing.

4 Likes

I agree, it really pumps up my mood and enjoy writing postcards than any other activity.

3 Likes

My husband is not into postcards, but he doesn’t mind my hobby.
He drives past the mailbox on our way to work without complaining.
Some of my friends are totally not interested, so I hardly tell about it, especially because once I start talking about postcrossing I can’t stop anymore, haha.
I have one sister in law who wants to see all my cards, she really likes looking at them and commenting them but she would never sign up herself.
Until now I couldn’t convince anyone to sign up, but that’s ok too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Mum came round my house after not visiting and almost demanded to read all of the postcards. This was after seeing them stuck on my wall. Then I had to explain what they were and why I had so many postcards.

My friend acts interested and every so often will ask me what postcards I got recently. I don’t think they are really interested, I think they’re just being polite. I could be wrong, but they don’t usually ask any other questions than that. Just the once and then a subject change.

1 Like

Honestly, I tried persuading one of my friends to try postcrossing but she’s reluctant in sharing her address to strangers.

1 Like