What do you call your supply of postcards?

Patchworkers refer to their fabric as a ‘stash’. Professional gamblers refer to their money/ spending limit as a ‘purse’. Archers have a quiver of 12 arrows, even if they are not in a quiver. Criminals refer to their knives as their ‘bevy’.

What word do we use for the postcards we have on hand, ready to reach for?

4 Likes

I’d say stash but I’m also a knitter.

4 Likes

I want to say container because they are in containers, but maybe I’ll go with bloc :joy:

Stack is also good

3 Likes

the hoard

12 Likes

Mine are not in containers as such. but I like ‘bloc’.

not really a hoard. I associate Hoard with things that are collected or acquired and NOT used. Postcards are collected to be sent.

2 Likes

Woww. I have a small number of postcards I store in one of the folders made by Pos Malaysia, so I’d call it a stash.

1 Like

And that is just what’s on the table

Under the table I have one more container :rofl:

2 Likes

The Pile.

The plot twist is that it is actually not a pile. It is a box. But still there is The Pile and then there are smaller temporary piles like “cards to be sent”, “cards to thank for” and “cards that somehow were forgotten on the table” piles.

8 Likes

This brings to mind terms of venery, the word or phrase we use in english to describe a group of a particular animal. Examples: a pride of lions, an exultation of larks, a murder of crows, a shrewdness of apes.

Mine are in seven boxes on and under my desk. I’d never given any thought to what they might be called collectively. Perhaps the Mail Carriers Bane? I’ll have to think about it.

4 Likes

Definitely a stash here. In fact, last week, I ran a lottery and the prize was 2 blank postcards for the winner “to add to their stash”.

1 Like

Mine is a stash. It’s located right next to my fabric stash :blush:.

3 Likes

Postcard inventory. Simplified form, only “inventory”.

3 Likes

I call my postcards: Collection.
The only difference is between the written and blank postcards :grin:

3 Likes

Mine is also a “stash”, Norwegified to “stæsj”. :smile:

(Blank cards to be sent, sorted by theme more or less)

12 Likes

You made me laugh out loud :dragon::dragon_face:! Love it!

2 Likes

I call mine my hoard, but I do that with all of my collections/hobbies because of how “ooh, shiny!” the collections are to me. Even though yes I plan to send out most of my cards, the excitement is why I call it a hoard - like a dragon with gold, that’s me with my collections :smiley:

5 Likes

@blazingstar I so understands what you are talking about :joy::heart:

In finnish i just call my stash/hoard :Kauhia läjä kortteja.- badly traslated something like- Horrible pile of cards, but i love them all :joy: ( i have almost 1000 blank ones.:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I think of my “stash” of postcards in several different ways, as the cards are, after all, multi-purpose –

1. My guilty pleasures :innocent: - because the hobby is expensive, so it’s my only vice. At present. Except gin. Maybe. Sometimes. I “tea” when I write postcards because it is a relaxing activity.
  2. My paper darlings :postcard: - because I really like to shop for them (I generally hate shopping of any other sort!), and for accessories (like buying the right pair of earrings to go with one’s outfit(s) such as washi, stickers, etc. And I really love the process of choosing a card for someone. It’s like a final last cuddle with them before releasing my darlings into the loving hands of another human.
  3. My little ambassadors :love_letter: - because that’s what Postcrossing facilitates; the opportunity to share with others - and ultimately, learn from others - who we are, what inspires us and what concerns us, and how we are so very much alike no matter where on the planet we live and breathe. :earth_americas:
  4. My little traveling “hello” friends :wave: - because I love to travel and meet people. I joined Postcrossing during the pandemic so I could travel through postcards, and meet people via my little traveling “hello” friends. Oh, my! Have I met so many wonderful people!
  5. My little art gallery :framed_picture: - I love art, so every card that arrives has it’s own artistic ‘voice’ and character, whether it’s a reprint of a painting or photograph, or created by the sender, or typical postcard art, or, or, or … so much art! :dancer:

Now, if we want to go all postcard etymological, here are some thoughts … [terms borrowed from the Chicago Postcard Museum, Glossary of Postcard Terminology] …

• we could call them our delti-pile, from Deltiology [the term for the study of postcards taken from the Greek word Deltion (small pictures or cards) and Logos (study) term was first used by Randall Rhodes of Ashland, Ohio].
  • we could also call them our cartspile (from Cartology, the study of postcards) or our Cartophilist collection, if we want to get really sophisticated.

Sorry for the long post … I got carried away in fits of giggles while thinking of my darling hello friends guilty pleasure art gallery ambassadors delti-pile. :rofl:

13 Likes

Oh, thanks for sharing! First, I’ve never heard of the Chicago Postcard Museum Glossary…what a great source for very helpful information (that I would have liked 3 years ago!)
Second, my vote would go to “My Little Ambassadors” - PERFECT!!!
Thanks for my morning smile!
:turtle:

3 Likes