What Chinese new year stamps does your country have?

In China,we have 4 round of Chinese new year stamps now.The first round since 1983. Here is the image

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

And Year of Ox 2021

15 Likes

Every year, Singapore releases a new design for the Zodiac stamp series featuring the animal of the year. It started from 1996.

This is the complete series from 1996 to 2007.

And this is the complete series from 2008 to 2019.

A new series was introduced last year in 2020, so there are only 2 so far in this series.

13 Likes

Wow these are all really beautiful and elaborate. When I was living in Canada, I loved buying the Chinese New Year stamps every year. They were always so nicely decorated with gold trimmings. I was very disappointed with the stamps from the Netherlands. There is really not very much variety in the international stamps (whereas the domestic ones are gorgeous). But I discovered 2 weeks ago that PostNL did issue a Year of the Ox 2021 international stamp!!! Here it is:

7 Likes

11 Likes

In French Polynesia : https://www.tahitiphilatelie.pf/m_timbres_thema.php?idexpo=18&pg=0&langue=us (there is a drop-down menu).

1 Like

These are all so beautiful! I love all the rats especially! :heart: :rat: :heart:

Here is a full series released in the early 2000s:

(I love the cut-paper animal designs on these.)

Another series was begun in 2008, featuring various images of traditional foods, decorations, flowers, instruments, and activities associated with Lunar New Year celebrations. Here is an example from 2012:

(You can see the full series here, with nice, big images!)

Here are the first two stamps from the current series, starting with the rat:

And continuing with the ox:

I have a question for @aegisW and any Postcrossers who celebrate Lunar New Year, regarding the last two stamps: Some people have complained that the designs do not have enough red and gold in them. Another complaint is that the art director of the series, Antonio Alcalá, is Hispanic, not Asian. (The primary designer is artist Camille Chew; I am unsure of Ms. Chew’s cultural heritage.) What are your thoughts? Does this bother you at all?

Personally, the complaint about the color palette seems trivial to me; I would not be remotely upset, for example, about a Christmas stamp that did not primarily feature red and green. I also don’t believe the ethnicity of the art director is relevant, as long as he oversees the project with a culturally respectful vision. (I do see why it would be appropriate to commission an Asian-American artist, but again, I am uncertain of this illustrator’s heritage.) My disclaimer is that I am not Asian-American and do not regularly participate in New Year festivities, so the issue does not have the same cultural gravity for me.

5 Likes

Canada Post didn’t issue new Lunar Year Stamps this year, but produced a retrospective of all the Lunar New Year stamps from 2009-2020. There are some variations depending on what format you buy these stamps in.

7 Likes

Red and gold are traditional colors for the lunar new year and some people don’t want their traditions messed with. I view the most recent series as a clearly Asian American design with a mix of Asian symbology and modern western aesthetics. I know this freaks some people out who think things should be classified as strictly Asian or strictly “American” (i.e. code for Western-influenced even though the US and Canada are made up of immigrants from everywhere). However, as an Asian American myself, I am definitely aware of the pull to be one or the other and ending up as neither because everyone’s views on culture and identity are too simplistic and binary.

Anyways, looking through Chew’s other work, this seems pretty in line with her other stuff. I don’t know how much input the art director had on it, but I don’t think being of a different ethnicity is necessarily a bad thing. If it was, then we’ll have to ghettoize every artist to only make work directly relating to their own ethnicity.

4 Likes

The colours aren’t trivial, they’re central to the meaning & celebration of Lunar New Year.

" During Chinese New Year, the Chinese use a lot of red and gold colors. Why?

Red symbolizes good fortune and joy in Chinese culture and it is found everywhere during the Chinese New Year and other family holidays or gatherings. Customarily, on Chinese New Year, the elders give the younger ones a red envelope to welcome in the new year and give a blessing to the younger ones. The red envelope is also a symbol of prosperity. Red is also the color in Chinese weddings, representing good luck, joy and happiness, thus, red should not be worn on funerals.

Yellow/Gold is considered the most beautiful color. The Chinese saying, Yellow generates Yin and Yang, implies that yellow is the center of everything. Yellow symbolizes neutrality and good luck and is sometimes paired with red in place of gold. Yellow was the color of Imperial China and is held as the symbolic color of the five legendary emperors of ancient China. It also represents freedom from worldly cares and is thus esteemed in Buddhism as seen where Monks’ garments are yellow, as are elements of Buddhist temples."

1 Like

@syaffolee & @LC-Canada, apologies if I was unclear: I didn’t mean that the colors themselves, or the ideas they embody, are trivial–I think that the complaint about the color palette used in the first two individual stamps is somewhat trivial. The artist/art director have said that the blue is part of a wider palette to be used in future designs; I don’t believe they intend to insult anyone by using less red and gold in any particular design.

Like @syaffolee said, North America is full of cultural influences from numerous waves of immigration, and I think these designs reflect the resulting syncretism.

1 Like

You can see the last Chinese new year stamps(2021) in China also lack of red and gold colour in them(Is brown and blue).But we can accept it.

2 Likes

Nope it does not bother at me at all. As you can see from the Singapore stamps, they are not loaded with red and gold either. While these are definitely auspicious colours to have, not having them doesn’t mean that it brings about bad luck.

In fact, I didn’t even notice that there is a lack of red and gold in the stamps, until it was mentioned. I usually just look at the overall aesthetic appeal of the stamps.

And whoever thinks that only Asians or those with Asian heritage can design Chinese New Year stamps needs to open up. This is akin to bullying or discrimination. I really don’t understand why there are still such views in such a progressive society. My take is, if you don’t like it, just don’t get it. Don’t waste time blaming others for supposedly not understanding the culture just because they are not of that heritage.

On a side note, I love seeing different representations of the same culture around the world. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hear, hear! :blush: I think the most important thing is that the designs were created in a spirit of reverence for the occasion and the deep significance it holds for millions of families all around the world. The compositions will be different, the color palettes will vary, and the artists will come from a multitude of backgrounds and traditions, but they should all honor the optimism for a new year more peaceful and harmonious than the last. :heart:

1 Like

Macau SAR

8 Likes

What is not shown clearly in these images, are the gold foil accents. The year of the Rat stamps, the crown on top of the head and the circle/ring on the forehead is a gold foil. It’s really quite beautiful. I would assume the Ox will also have gold foil accents.

1 Like

Oh, yes, I love the gold foil! :star_struck: I bought several sheets of the rats when they came out, because they have a special place in my heart. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

For The Netherlands there are indeed Chines New Year stamp of the actual year and also combinations. Like the sheet Rat/Ox and there are more, however at this moment Postnl is only selling Rat and Ox.

When you want more variation or want to use the national stamps than that is possible, as long as the value is covering the international tariff like two national 1 stamps are valid for international however more expensive than an international 1 stamp.

I do also have an alternative for you! At the following website it is possible to buy sets of national stamps that cover 10 postcards and the discount result in a lower prise than een international 1.
https://www.postzegelsmetkorting.nl

There are no postal costs for the order and delivery is very fast!

4 Likes