What can I find out about these different postcard types?

I want to know how I can identify and obtain these postcard types that everyone wants to trade such as World Heritage, UNESCO, and other acronyms? Please help.

1 Like

This link should help:

These types of cards are not easy to locate. However, many US National Parks are considered UNESCO sites.

1 Like

I’ve been confused about this too. So when someone has "world heritage " in their profile it’s not particular set or series of cards? Just to use this as an example, the Statue of Liberty in the USA is listed as a world heritage site… so does that mean any postcard of the Statue of Liberty counts? Would I then explain on the back of the card that it is a world heritage site?

2 Likes

Yes. Some sites have cards available with UNESCO logo but most don’t, from my personal experience.

I just check on the list (at UNESCO website usually) what places there are in any country and then just try to find a view from there, if I visit, for those who might want it.

3 Likes

Here’s the official UNESCO WHS list:

2 Likes

If you’re from America and someone wants one of those, it’s safe to assume any national/state park/forest is included. I usually say it is one of our heritage sites and try and match it to another one of their interests like waterfalls or mountains

For other common acronyms for cards people collect, see this topic:

3 Likes

I’m not sure I would go that far. There are several USA national parks on the UNESCO list but certainly not all. This article on Wikipedia shows that quite well:

2 Likes

That’s definitely not true. The list of UNESCO World Heritage sites is highly curated. Check the official list to see what is included for the USA. It only contains 24 entries and only about half of them are national parks.

1 Like

UNESCO World Heritage site postcards are not a “type” of postcards. They are just regular tourist cards that depict one of the site that is on UNESCO list. So yes, any postcard of the Statue of Liberty counts. As for explaining on the back that it’s a heritage site, that’s really up to you. If the person asking for them actually collects them, they probably already are familiar with the list.

4 Likes

Hi! Please don’t mislead people about our UNESCO sites. Here is the list (in alphabetical order, not by induction order):

United States of America

1. Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site
  2. Carlsbad Caverns National Park
  3. Chaco Culture
  4. Everglades National Park
  5. Grand Canyon National Park
  6. Great Smoky Mountains National Park
  7. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park #
  8. Independence Hall
  9. Kluane/Wrangell-St. Elias/Glacier Bay/Tatshenshini-Alsek # * 34
  10. La Fortaleza and San Juan National Historic Site in Puerto Rico
  11. Mammoth Cave National Park
  12. Mesa Verde National Park
  13. Monticello and the University of Virginia in Charlottesville
  14. Monumental Earthworks of Poverty Point
  15. Olympic National Park
  16. Papahānaumokuākea
  17. Redwood National and State Parks
  18. San Antonio Missions
  19. Statue of Liberty
  20. Taos Pueblo
  21. The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright
  22. Waterton Glacier International Peace Park *
  23. Yellowstone National Park
  24. Yosemite National Park #
3 Likes

I think nobody is familiar with a list of more than thousand pieces. That is why I always mention the UNESCO World Heritage status of our local cathedral, when I send a card showing it.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for responding. I learned a lot and may be able to help with a couple of these next time I see it in a profile.

3 Likes