What are advertising cards?

Advertising, commercial card, available free. You don’t need to pay anything of it.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

No problem! :slight_smile:

There are some collectors for these types of cards. Moreover, some are quite attractive (ads for perfume, movies posters, etc) But if I get an Official card, I want it to be linked to the country’s history, tourism, culture, etc. And not some young women dressed like they are in some music video.

But there are ad cards linked to cities:

(Map ad cards of the tourism office Nuremberg, presenting city quarters, parks, sights…)

(Ad card series for big German train stations where you can do also shopping, showing the train station and important sights or points of interest)

3 Likes

Awesome ad cards | Flickr :smiley:

Interesting. Thank you!

1 Like

As some others already mentioned, ad cards and free cards (not ad cards) can be sooo pretty too. The design can be so nice as if they’re store bought cards.

Here you can find people offering ad/free cards.
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/ad-free-cards-offer-tag/168714?u=macheng

There’s also the ad/free card tag where you don’t have to show your offer. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi, just wondering what defines an Ad card? Is it a card from a place like a zoo or muesum? Or is it a card advertising a product or service? I see on lots of profiles it says no Ad cards so just wanting to clarify meaning. Thanks

These go by different names: Ad cards, rack cards, Freecards, etc. Their primary purpose was to advertise a product or service. In restaurants, you might see a small rack having some ad card/postcards on it. You also have artists/galleries produce them to advertise showings of an artist. Most of these items are garish and ugly. Others advertise Movies, Perfumes, etc.

Here in the US, the two major publishers of these cards went out of business years ago. Many members, including me, avoid these cards because they are cheap and not worthy to send. If I get a card from another member, I would like it to be something about their country and not a bottle of perfume.

I actually enjoy ad cards. Some don’t leave much space to write is my main problem with them.

I pay for cards that I am afraid others will think are ad cards because they do showcase a product or attraction. The ones I pay for do have space to write.

I, too, am not clear on the distinction.

1 Like

This usually means that they don’t want to recieve free cards distributed to clearly advertise a product or brand, a shop, an event or a city, like these ones:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

They may be concerned about the design of ad cards, which can be dull, or the missing writing space - or the fact that they spend money on their cards and find it inappropriate to receive freebies.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Some ad cards I sent that you don’t know immediately what they are advertising (but had text in the back)

A few years ago you would find Ad cards in almost every cinema/museum and there were some quite interesting. People who don’t want them don’t know what they’re losing, in my opinion

4 Likes

I agree. I find them to be quite interesting. I also think we have to remember that we don’t get to control what people send us. It’s up to them.

1 Like

Absolutely! :smiley:

2 Likes

I love Absolut cards! Wish I knew where to obtain them!

I have many Absolut postcards for trade

I love ad cards! I specify in my profile that I welcome Postcrossers to send them to me.

Got most of mine from Allegro - guess you might check out E-Bay.