What about larger than average postcards?

I used to like big card but it often came with damaged :frowning:
Now I prefer standard size, no more than 12 x 17 but I don’t mention it in my profile :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I just received a profile who want the “standard size 10 x 15 cm”.
And, I actually never measured my postcards, or not that I remember, but now I did.
Postallove postcards are exactly this 10 x 15 cm, while all or at least most the cards I’ve bought here, are 10,5 x 14,7 cm. :hushed:

And: I have thought Postallove cards are little “wrong” size, because they are narrower, and so far if someone has asked standard size, I didn’t send Postallove card because of that.

I know the standard sizes are different at least in the USA (unless they haven’t changed), just a fun observation, that the standard that I thought, wasn’t the standard what that person wants, so it’s good she mentioned the size.

Maybe Finnish cards are also larger than average, in someone’s eyes?

2 Likes

International standard postcard size is A6 (14,8 x 10,5 cm). Although in some countries other formats are more common. I almost always receive larger cards from Canada and Turkey (but I don’t mind).

1 Like

Actually the standard size is not only one, but it’s this:
"
UPU (Universal Postal Union) is the organization that decides the International Standard Postcard Size. It has defined that postcards should have maximum dimensions of 235 mm × 120 mm (9.25 in × 4.72 in) and minimum dimensions of 140 mm × 90 mm (5.51 in × 3.54 in).

Size Length x Height (mm) Length x Height (in)
Maximum 235 x 120 mm 9.25 x 4.72 in
Minimum 140 x 90 mm 5.51 x 3.54 in

The material of the postcard should also be thick enough to not undergo wear; tear during handling and processing but shouldn’t be very thick to increase the weight.
"

So, everything that falls between, or are exact these measures, is within the standards.
Therefore it is good to write the measurements, if you collect a certain size.
Of course I know, that most postcard are near the 10 x 15 cms, and if one writes they saw a postcard size butterfly, I imagine it to be about that 10 x 15 cm.

Just find it interesting, that for some the 10 x 15 cm is standard, and I’ve though “our” cards are that size.

Not going to buy different size of cards to please anyone, but of course when I can, I send the size they like better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s A6 - when you write it in centimeters it’s often written like that even though it’s not the exact measurement. (I don’t know why it’s written this way!).

2 Likes

That’s weird, but also very interesting!
So the Finnish cards are also 10 x 15, even though they really aren’t :slight_smile:
I was already thinking she (the one whose address I got) might have an album where the slots are not so deep, I think 0,50 cm can be “a lot” when talking about this small item.
And really really confusing that the rounding is made down to the smaller, from five, when isn’t it normally always to the bigger? Or, are there different ways for this :thinking:

Edit. So when someone writes they like 10 x 15 cm size, they might actually mean how I first thought, the normal size (here), and they might also think the Postallove cards are “wrong” size (I have seen some one mention not liking them, because they are smaller).

(I am not taking this so seriously as might seem :laughing:, like I wrote, this can be the first time I measure a postcard. But, someone who is really into postcards, can know that the size given is not the true size, but someone who doesn’t collect sizewise, can cut away 0,5 cm to make it “better” for the recipient (when they actually meant the bigger, original size :crazy_face:.)

1 Like